Help me please if you can. Classic problem

Search this Thread

Old 16 June 2009, 06:55 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me please if you can. Classic problem

Hello all, hope someone can help me please with this;
In my infinite wisdom I purchased a new genuine Subaru "Rear" fog light switch from eBay to replace the naff light up toggle switch that is in my 96 Import Impreza WRX.
After alot of fiddling today (removed the steering wheel couling & dash surround) I finally got the old toggle switch out. My mate who knows alittle more than me about electrics was helping me, and using the power off the "Front" fog lights he showed me that my new switch worked. After he checked all sorts (over my head) he ascertained what was what on my new switch ie; what pin was for what/constant light on/light on only when pressed on etc.
Somewhere along the line we have accidently blown the FRONT fog light fuse....Does anyone know where this is on my car? what ampage? I checked the engine fuse box quickly but ran out of time and had to put it back together as is.
Any pictures on were all my fuses are would be appreciated for further reference in the future but mainly were the front fog light fuse is.
It's never easy is it?
The old switch only has 3 connectors on it (4 pins) so it should have been easy to do, but now I've got no fog lights , what a pain. Never been taught but if you don't try you don't learn right? but for now I'm taking it to a Qualified electrician tomorrow to get the switch fitted correctly hopefully (think it's going to need a relay too as the old one doesn't have one from what I can see). Any info appreciated. Thanks Gareth
Old 16 June 2009, 07:25 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

Hi mate, the fuses are located on the right hand side under the dash.

did you fit a inline fuse when you added the switch ?
Old 16 June 2009, 07:38 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

No because the rear fog light switch (naff toggle) was already wired in & working (done when originally imported by previous owner) when I attempted to get the new switch in there.
I thought that the only thing I needed to fit would be possibly a relay?? as the genuine Subaru switch apparantly works on a much lesser voltage. I'm no electrician obviously. Will it need an inline fuse then? or is it possible to do without (big fire risk?). Thanks for any and all help on this. I'm going to look now for those fuses, hope there labelled cause I'm fooked otherwise..ha ha
Old 16 June 2009, 08:19 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Thanks to you matscooby, cause I found the fuse box and it was obvious which fuse had blown when I looked (it was a 10amp) and now I have front fogs again. Not the easiest or most convienent place to put a fuse box though is it. Lol.
Hopefully this electrician will be able to help me sort the rest tomorrow.
Anyone with a full list of were all the fuses are located still would be good though. Eitherway thank you matscooby, Gareth
Old 16 June 2009, 09:46 PM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

surely if all your doing is rerouting some wires and swoping a switch you dont need anything extra its all already there to work your old switch..
Old 17 June 2009, 08:57 AM
mr_D
Scooby Regular

am i right in thinking you would split the power wire into 2 and the 3rd wire straight to the light. or is it 1-power, 2-neg, 3-light.

which should be easy enough
Old 17 June 2009, 08:56 PM
GMballistic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by newport_white_scooby
surely if all your doing is rerouting some wires and swoping a switch you dont need anything extra its all already there to work your old switch..
Problem is the new switch has 6 pins in order to perform different operations ie; button will light up only when pressed/button is constantly on until pressed etc.
The old fog switch was a heavy load toggle type with only 4 pins. The wiring for this was done by importer/previous owner and I don't see any in-line fuse for it or relays. Because the new switch is a much lesser load push button type and only requires minimul power to run it's internal light (plus it's designed to work with a relay by Subaru ) I'm going to have to do abit of work to get it in there. I've found a Subaru schematic wiring diagram for the rear fog light and a helpful electrician so it should be sorted by Thursday after he's looked at it. Thanks for all your help guys