Notices

Switchable ecutek maps

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2009, 10:09 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switchable ecutek maps

I've had two maps available to me since Bob remapped it, one that peaks at 1.5+ bar and hold ~1.4 bar and another map that peaks at 1.2 bar and holds ~ 1.1 bar.

I've been wondering what the difference is (other than the obvious power difference) and have previously ran the 1.2 bar map for 1/4 tank of fuel to see whether I'd gain any economy, (which I didn't seem to).

However I went to Shrewsbury for a party this weekend so decided to run the experiment over the 160 mile journey each way.

I tried to keep the driving style similar each way, sticking to the same speeds, etc. The only issue with the test is that on the way up I had 3/4 tank of Tesco 99 and 1/4 tank of VPower. On the way back I had 1/4 tank of the original fuel mixture and 3/4 tank of VPower.

On the way up I achieved 24.95 mpg
On the way back I achieved 27.17 mpg

I was happy with the first mpg return and even happier with the second, I don't think I've had over 27 mpg's from my scooby since I first bought the WRX, prior to any mapping, etc. I think in standard form it used to return about 28mpg, so to get over 27 from my Spec C is impressive IMO (Bob did say he'd expect an increase in fuel ecomomy when taking it steady).

On those MPG returns I might even get 280 miles out of a tank of fuel!!!
Old 04 May 2009, 11:59 PM
RED2
Scooby Regular

how come i didnt have switchable maps when jgm mapped mine then?
Old 05 May 2009, 07:10 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

No idea to be honest. I didn't ask for it, Bob just said I'd get it

Basically I flaw the accelerator in any gear, foot to the floor, although a higher gear is better for safety reasons obviously. Then when the pedal is fully depressed, press the rear windscreen heater button once. This switches automatically to the other map, then press the botton again to turn the heater off. To change to the other map, go through the same process.

The only way you know which map you're running (other than the massive performance difference) is how high the boost peaks and holds, when you swap maps "in flight", driving on full acceleration, you see the boost gauge drop from 1.5 to 1.2 bar or vice versa, so that's easy enough to tell.

Drove all the way to Reading and back today on the lower boost and it's definitely more economical and fine for mundane driving. I'll obviously change it back to the "mental boost setting" for everyday driving
Old 05 May 2009, 09:14 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

I had exactly the same set-up with mine. Inever comapred them from an mpg perspective but the boost was much stronger on the 2nd
Old 05 May 2009, 11:55 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I wonder if Bob can do this for my car?
Old 06 May 2009, 10:32 AM
valley commando
Scooby Senior

so i take it your happy then Rich
When Bob done mine he also threw in launch control ive used that has much as the lower boost map