Notices

Had this through the post from South Wales Police

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2008, 06:18 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had this through the post from South Wales Police

As some of you may know I had a NIP come through the post for an alledged speeding offence on the 3rd of September 2006 (Just so happens to be my birthday)

They alledged offence took place at the tolls after the severn bridge.

I travel this road alot up to Swindon and know the camera van sits up on the bridge. So I went through the 50 limit at 45MPH which was confirmed on my Road Angel.

Anyhow they claimed I had been doing 60MPH. After a visit over to Pepipoo website I decided to fight this, I followed there advice and completed a Pace witness statement, which you download from there site and sent it off.

After nearly 6 months of harasment (by why of threathening letters) from the safety camera partnership they decided to take the matter to court.

I contacted my solicitor and he explained I had two options, Take the £60 fine and the 3 points (even though I knew I wasn't guilty) or fight the case which could cost me hundreds.

I still decided to fight the case on principle.

I would need to attend court in order for me to ask for the case be ajourned in order for them to supply a full copy of the video evidance, not just the bit with my car but the whole section including setting up the camera, This also means that all other numbers plates have to blanked out!!!!

They wouldn't let me request the adjournemnt by post and would have to do this in person. Crazy!!! If I had lived in scotland I would still need to travel down to wales to stand in court and request an ajournment!!!!

So off I trott to abergavenny magistrates court on the 27th march 2007. Wait three hours in the waiting room. I was shocked by how much crime happens in abergavenny, The place was packed.

After three hours the usher comes up and asks how I'm pleading, Not guilty is the answer and that I would be asking for an adjourment, No need for you to go in was his answer, I can sort that out for you

Case was adjourned and a new date set, This time in newport!!!! I'm sure they were doing this on purpose

After another visit to my solicitor he fires off a fax, advising that until we receive the full video we will continue asking for adjournments.

They then set another date back at abergavenny

A week before the case is to be heard again they send me a letter advising they had made a MISTAKE and that the case will be recalled from the CPS

So I now have a word those on Pepipoo about getting my cost back, They said I should be able to get the trevelling, solicitors cost, parking and postage but nothing for loss of earnings

I fire off a few letters asking for

travelling = 144 miles @ £0.40 per mile,
Parking = £1.00
Postage = £2.30

and £150 for loss of earnings

Giving a total of £210.90

After nearly 10 months and **** loads of letters, I have now received this

Result

Goes to show if you hassle them enough you get what you want
Old 19 March 2008, 06:39 PM
valley commando
Scooby Senior

well done my man thats your trip to da pod sorted
Old 19 March 2008, 06:44 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Brilliant result Perhaps a follow up with a local reporter would be in order?
Old 19 March 2008, 07:59 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well done Danny

We all know that stretch of road it must be a big earner especially when anything is on at the stadium.... point being we all know to stick to 50mph without even thinking on it, so good on you for sticking up for yourself and as they say innocent until proved guilty.... well done
Old 19 March 2008, 08:12 PM
Scudy23
Scooby Regular

Cracking result that fella, thats mad mind they try and charge you with these offences and then OHHHHHH no it was a mistake because they have been challenged.

If you hadnt have fought this and you did take it on the chin, would they have cherped up and said oh no its our fault you werent speeding..Think not.

Bunch of *******.

Well Done
Old 19 March 2008, 08:17 PM
Dragonman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
As some of you may know I had a NIP come through the post for an alledged speeding offence on the 3rd of September 2006 (Just so happens to be my birthday)

They alledged offence took place at the tolls after the severn bridge.

I travel this road alot up to Swindon and know the camera van sits up on the bridge. So I went through the 50 limit at 45MPH which was confirmed on my Road Angel.

Anyhow they claimed I had been doing 60MPH. After a visit over to Pepipoo website I decided to fight this, I followed there advice and completed a Pace witness statement, which you download from there site and sent it off.

After nearly 6 months of harasment (by why of threathening letters) from the safety camera partnership they decided to take the matter to court.

I contacted my solicitor and he explained I had two options, Take the £60 fine and the 3 points (even though I knew I wasn't guilty) or fight the case which could cost me hundreds.

I still decided to fight the case on principle.

I would need to attend court in order for me to ask for the case be ajourned in order for them to supply a full copy of the video evidance, not just the bit with my car but the whole section including setting up the camera, This also means that all other numbers plates have to blanked out!!!!

They wouldn't let me request the adjournemnt by post and would have to do this in person. Crazy!!! If I had lived in scotland I would still need to travel down to wales to stand in court and request an ajournment!!!!

So off I trott to abergavenny magistrates court on the 27th march 2007. Wait three hours in the waiting room. I was shocked by how much crime happens in abergavenny, The place was packed.

After three hours the usher comes up and asks how I'm pleading, Not guilty is the answer and that I would be asking for an adjourment, No need for you to go in was his answer, I can sort that out for you

Case was adjourned and a new date set, This time in newport!!!! I'm sure they were doing this on purpose

After another visit to my solicitor he fires off a fax, advising that until we receive the full video we will continue asking for adjournments.

They then set another date back at abergavenny

A week before the case is to be heard again they send me a letter advising they had made a MISTAKE and that the case will be recalled from the CPS

So I now have a word those on Pepipoo about getting my cost back, They said I should be able to get the trevelling, solicitors cost, parking and postage but nothing for loss of earnings

I fire off a few letters asking for

travelling = 144 miles @ £0.40 per mile,
Parking = £1.00
Postage = £2.30

and £150 for loss of earnings

Giving a total of £210.90

After nearly 10 months and **** loads of letters, I have now received this

Result

Goes to show if you hassle them enough you get what you want

My birthday is the day before September 2nd
coming back from Castle Coombe got done on the same camera

but I was doing 60mph...........bummer

well done m8
Old 19 March 2008, 10:57 PM
"Taylor"
Scooby Regular

This reminds me of a case years ago where there was a 50mph limit set up in some roadworks on the m4. The police, devious little bugg*rs as they are, put a scamera van just after the roadworks to catch everybody speeding. But they made the mistake of putting the scamera van in the wrong place and the stretch of road they were aiming at was actually after the national speed limit applies signs, so cars were actually permitted to increase their speed to 70mph. They sent letters off to everybody saying they were speeding and it wasn't until somebody actually challenged them that they "Realised their mistake". Anyways after they admitted their mistake, they dropped the prosecutions against the people who challenged it, but the people who just signed it and wrote their details out trusting that the police were correct still had to take the points and pay the fine! Even though they probably weren't speeding in the 50, just accelerating back up to 70mph. And we are supposed to trust these people!

Anyways congratulations, just goes to show David can sometimes beat Goliath. You should always stand up for what you believe!

Trending Topics

Old 20 March 2008, 08:37 AM
wrx,sti
Scooby Regular

A similar result as me back last year
I think if more people challenge the NIP more people would get off with it
Old 20 March 2008, 10:29 AM
Scooby23
Scooby Regular

One for the Scoobynetters!!! Well done mate
Old 20 March 2008, 12:58 PM
Dan W
Scooby Regular

Location: Secretly saving for another Blobeye STI. Crystal Grey. Widetrack

Take a photocopy and frame that
Old 20 March 2008, 01:18 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice one Dan, result
Old 20 March 2008, 02:27 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Old 20 March 2008, 02:37 PM
bonzee
Scooby Regular

Location: knocking on the door of 400bhp with v power smashed through it with e85

well done mate 1-0
Old 20 March 2008, 03:17 PM
spuddy
Scooby Regular

Good man, nice to see you did'nt back down, well done
Old 20 March 2008, 08:07 PM
WRX RCY
Scooby Regular

I'm glad you've had closer over this First round on you at the pod

Chris
Old 20 March 2008, 08:16 PM
RED2
Scooby Regular

thats a fantastic result, just a shame it takes so much time and hassle to sort out, good on ya fella
Old 20 March 2008, 08:29 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

Nice one Danny, superb result.

So what you gonna buy with that now, anymore bits for the car.
Old 20 March 2008, 09:15 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

Old 20 March 2008, 09:23 PM
Leg@cy
Scooby Regular

Well done that man !!!!!
Old 20 March 2008, 09:32 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

You should write to Gordon Brown and ask him to investigate something that is at best incompetence, and at worst corruption...........