Car Troubles Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2007, 06:55 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Troubles Help Please

Here it goes :-
Coming home from work joined the motorway this evening there was a gap to pull out into the fast lane so i put her in third put my foot down the car got to about 4.5k Revs and the car just died on me. The car at the time still had electrical power all the lights on the were alight and i hit the hazards on and pulled over to the hard shoulder.

First thoughts this is something bad, oh my god what am i going to do. Got out and had a check under the bonnet make sure all belts and everything were intact everything seemed fine so i bit the bullet and started her back up.Oh no 'Check Engine' warning light is on but the engine started. Its searching through the revs at idle and whilst on the move it seems like its missing now and again.
Got the car home turned it off, left it for about ten mins started her back up and she started first time. Check Engine warning light still on and its still searching all over the place.

After Reading so much about peoples MAF sensors being sensitive is this a good place to start ????

Any help will be very much appreciated Melon.
Old 29 August 2007, 08:17 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

It's gone into limp mode, You need to connect the two black connectors under the stearing wheel to run the diagnistic. this basically flashes the Check engine light. A long flash means a 10 and a then short flashes for each other number, so 2 long flashes followed by 2 short flashes means 22 and this is more than likely what your going to get as it sounds like the maf.

Your is a 99/00 car so it should cost around £76+Plus and only takes a couple of minutes to fit but you do need a star screwdriver bit that has a whole in the middle, halfords sell them for a coupleof quid and well worth having
Old 30 August 2007, 09:59 AM
john_07
Scooby Regular

have u had a recent oil change? or put some in? i had the problem of the car almost cuttin out at 4.5k 5k rev and she would almost shunt u forward in ur seat but wouldnt always do it when the oil was changed it was topped up jus that lil too much for the cars liking,
Old 30 August 2007, 01:30 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Hi john thanks for the reply, havent had a recent oil change and the car actually cut out completely. Whilst crawling home it wasn't jumpy bet felt like flat spots or a kind of miss fire.

Has anyone in the south area preferably Swansea or there abouts have a spare MAF Sensor that i could possibly have on loan to try and eliminate the fault?

Thanks Ryan.
Old 30 August 2007, 02:39 PM
WRX RCY
Scooby Regular

I think on your model if it was the maf you wouldn't be able to start the car. Just check by starting the engine and disconnect the maf, it should shut off.
Old 30 August 2007, 06:34 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DannyBoy007
It's gone into limp mode, You need to connect the two black connectors under the stearing wheel to run the diagnistic.
Hey cheers danny found the connectors to run the self diagnostic and it came up with error code 23 and according to scoobypedia thats the Mass Airflow Sensor Circuit. So looks like a new MAF

Originally Posted by WRX RCY
I think on your model if it was the maf you wouldn't be able to start the car. Just check by starting the engine and disconnect the maf, it should shut off.
Hey Chris i tried this and the car didn't shut itself off but it was very very Lumpy.

If the connections around the MAF are not airtight can this cause the problem ?
Also from what people are saying the car is in 'Limp Mode' How will i return it back to its normal state? Do i reset the ECU ??

Thanks Guys Ryan.

Last edited by MisterMelon; 30 August 2007 at 07:19 PM.
Old 31 August 2007, 11:04 AM
john_07
Scooby Regular

try disconnecting the ecu for a few hours n re connect n see wha happens mate

Trending Topics

Old 31 August 2007, 11:18 AM
WRX RCY
Scooby Regular

Correct me if I wrong, if you disconnect the battery( positive and negative) and touch the two cables together it will reset the ecu.

Again please correct me if I wrong
Old 31 August 2007, 11:31 AM
john_07
Scooby Regular

not to sure on that chris i was told by chris garner to disconnect battery for a few hours it resets the ecu,
Old 31 August 2007, 03:47 PM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

your welcome, I've a really good website with all the info you need regarding ecu fault codes it's called saxon-field, I've saved it in my favourites but I'll be damned if I can find it.

You only need to disconnect the battery for 30 seconds and this will reset the ECU.

I always carry a spare maf in my car, I normally get through one a year!!!!!

Last edited by DannyBoy007; 31 August 2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 31 August 2007, 11:24 PM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

Hey cheers all for the replies.

Picked up a new MAF today, had to go to cardigan though because I'm inpatient
and couldn't wait till next week for CVC to get one in stock for me. The car is running sweet now though and i didn't have to worry about the CEL it knocked itself off when the new MAF was in place.

Thanks Again Ryan.
Old 01 September 2007, 10:33 AM
DannyBoy007
Scooby Regular

You still need to reset the ecu, as the fault code will still be stored on the ecu even though the Check engine light has gone out.
Old 01 September 2007, 11:56 AM
MisterMelon
Scooby Regular

I see how much of a problem is this because the car is running fine, the ECU seems easy enough to reset using Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Scoobypedia browse so i shall do it later.

Cheers Danny,

Ryan.