Notices

Thanks SW Sports Pilot

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2006, 07:15 PM
Russ71
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thanks SW Sports Pilot

Cheers Ian for the help earlier , sadly I count get hold of Andy, so I've had to delve into the forums to see what transmission oil everyone else seems to be using.

As the story goes I was out cleaning the car (again) I starting cleaning under the bonnet when I noticed another dipstick I quickly grabbed the scoob handbook and started reading, ok I found out it was the transmission, so I took the old dip stick out gave it a wipe put it back and took it out again mmmm there should be something on this stick I thought, popped it in again OMG its empty, so panic stations, tried phoning Ian no answer (cheers for getting back to me mate) tried Richie VC no luck, tried the guy Ian recommended Andy no luck there, so please tell me have I done right, I have read that 75W 90 needed to go in there, so I jumped in the scoob and gingerly drove to crappy Halfords (closest thing to me ) got myself a bottle of Castrol 75W 90 driveline, I've put it in and I just hope and pray Ive done the right thing. Oh I did phone CVC (Subaru) about as much use as a chocolate fire guard, so I have done this please let me know if Ive done the right or wrong thing, I just couldnt leave her like it poor scoob. Cheers again Ian

I havent driven her yet but I am out tomorrow so any comments or advice will be most welcomed tonight before I go out tomorrow cheers in advance.
Old 14 October 2006, 08:55 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

Castrol Syntrax (75w90) is near enough the best on the market and I'm amazed Halford stock it as they are usually rubbish. If I'm correct 4.5 litres is the correct amount to fill upto but 4 litres is enough. Did you check drain to see if the gearbox was actually empty and remove any of the old oil?. I would keep a close eye on the oil level just to check you haven't a leak. I know what you mean by CVC.

Last edited by bluerigster; 14 October 2006 at 09:25 PM.
Old 14 October 2006, 09:21 PM
Russ71
Scooby Regular

cheers mate I don't think I've got a leak, to fill it up only took about 700ml,it was on the low line ,it was a shock to find another dip stick (still learning) I think the previous owners must have forgotten about it to I think.

Thanks for your help
Old 14 October 2006, 10:32 PM
SW Sport Pilot
Scooby Regular

Sorry i couldnt advise you any more mate and that you didnt have any luck with andy at ACE usually hes very good but the weekends can get hectic for him if he is working on a rally or trying to get cars ready for they're owners to rally, i know he is getting new premises as well and will let me know when he knows where he is moving too to put a post up.

Cheers

Ian
Old 14 October 2006, 11:01 PM
Russ71
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice mate, its nice to know I can call on SWS for help, sorry you cant make it on Tuesday but we'll see you on the next run. Thanks again.
Old 15 October 2006, 01:51 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

andy's away on a rally this weekend i think - i might be wrong but rather than mix you should always fill up with the same oils?
Old 15 October 2006, 12:07 PM
Russ71
Scooby Regular

Oh bugger , I just topped it up, mind you it was barely registering on the low line so I panicked as I would have not wanted to leave her like it until I had an answer off the posts, Im off out today and if I hadnt found the dipstick yesturday who knows what would have happened. and what damaged would have been caused. Anyway cheers for the advice its always welcomed.