Notices

Road Test:- Modified WRX v Caterham 7

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2006, 08:35 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Test:- Modified WRX v Caterham 7

Had a bit of competetive fun on the weekend with a bloke driving a Caterham 7, the genuine article too not a kit car.

He was behind me on a twisty B road that I know really well, as I reached a 1/2 mile straight I dropped it down into 3rd and floored it, through 3rd, into 4th foot to the floor up to 6k rpm's (really motoring). As I reached 5k rpms the Caterham FLEW passed me - totally pi55ed on me.

I knew they were light and quick but jesus christ!!! I had a play with a new series M3 the other day and that was nowhere near the pace of this thing.

Anyway, I followed him through some great twisty bends and I had to lift off, I was taking bends a good 30-40mph faster than I've taken them before and was aware that just because he got round them didn't mean I would. Still, what a rush!

Caught up with him at a junction in Cowbridge and followed him into the High Street. I stopped outside Tesco and he got out and came over to see me.

He was well impressed with how quick mine was, but I conceded to him that it was nowhere near as quick as his. I told him that I'd had a few bits done to mine and he said his wasn't standard either.....wait for it........

235bhp and the car only weighs 535kg.

versus

282bhp and 1410kg.

No wonder the performance was that good.

Last edited by Trap2Terrorist; 10 October 2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12 October 2006, 10:29 PM
bluerigster
Scooby Regular

A 400Ib/ft Classic type RA weighing 1180kgs would stay with it. Power to weight ratios on both cars would be around 335lb/ft per ton and the type RA might edge it mid range due to the more violent power delivery and better traction, I'm not biased in anyway!. Still awesome car though what colour is it?, also have you spotted the silver Atom around Cowbridge. I not sure but it may even be a 275bhp supercharged version weight roughly the same as the Caterham now thats a car I would not bother to play with!.

Last edited by bluerigster; 12 October 2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 13 October 2006, 12:07 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

There is a young lad in Whitchurch in Cardiff with a Polo G40. It's definetley been tweaked judgeing by the way he held on to my tail for a while. But, it was a case of jelly round the corners.

I think there is some induction work and probably a Jabba Sport G Lader mod going on.

G-Lader is what VW called the early supercharger.

One of the guys here builds kit cars based on the Caterham Chassis. He uses Hyabusha engines with NOS if you want. Custom built, Tested and approved. Knocks them out for about £12k.

Deem's fecking schnell!

Last edited by The Trooper 1815; 13 October 2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 13 October 2006, 12:47 PM
osaka
BANNED

Dan is the man with the G40 - he is a mate of Dave's who had the type ra - which he sold then the engine decided to blow!!
Old 13 October 2006, 04:05 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluerigster
A 400Ib/ft Classic type RA weighing 1180kgs would stay with it. Power to weight ratios on both cars would be around 335lb/ft per ton and the type RA might edge it mid range due to the more violent power delivery and better traction, I'm not biased in anyway!. Still awesome car though what colour is it?, also have you spotted the silver Atom around Cowbridge. I not sure but it may even be a 275bhp supercharged version weight roughly the same as the Caterham now thats a car I would not bother to play with!.
It was an N plate in red.

I like the thought of an RA, was tempted by a 350bhp one advertised on SN a couple of weeks back (doug555 IIRC) - I'm a bit strapped at the mo' with a possible house purchase so