Notices

Who's been driving my car?

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2004, 09:27 AM
Buck Rogers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Who's been driving my car?

WARNING: My Turbo Wagon went into a local 'insurance approved' repairer last week for accident damage repairs to the rear door. Before leaving the car I checked the mileage and when I picked it up I was pleased to see that no miles had be clocked whilst in the garage.

HOWEVER...ever since I bought the car last year I have used a spreadsheet program to record my mileage and calculate mpg: I've just filled up with the liquid gold they call Optimax and (surprise, surprise) my program reveals that my beloved Scoob has just returned about 30-40 miles less on the last tank fuel than it has over the previous ten months of ownership.

My guess is that the speedo was disconnected before my pride and joy was taken for a little 'joy ride'.

They made a very good job of the repairs, but I certainly won't be recommending them to anyone else. I'm going to write a letter of complaint to them and my insurers, but don't expect to get much in the way of an apology. BEWARE.
Old 08 April 2004, 12:45 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Buck Rogers
They made a very good job of the repairs, but I certainly won't be recommending them to anyone else. I'm going to write a letter of complaint to them and my insurers, but don't expect to get much in the way of an apology. BEWARE.
Unfortunately, unless you are prepared to name them we can't really BEWARE or admire their repairs ! Are we talking dealer or repair centre, south or north Wales ?

All I would say however, without knowing your driving style and mileage, is that my car can cover anything between 210 and 340 miles on a tank of Optimax, and that in order to produce an average mileage per tankful over a ten month period there is bound to be a difference of 30-40 miles, somewhere down the line.

I don't wish to imply your fears are unfounded, but I'm not sure whether the evidence is strong enough to make a formal complaint.

Perhaps others more technically minded (eh Sammyh) might be better placed to give an opinion about disconnecting the speedo....I would however certainly make a note of the dates the car was with them incase a speeding ticket drops through the door, then you will have certain proof.

Good luck
Gareth
Old 08 April 2004, 01:09 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

I can't see them disconnecting the speedo, It really is'nt worth the effort as Gareth rightly says mpg can vary considerably in my car i've had 180 miles from a tank up to 320 on a run.
Old 08 April 2004, 01:15 PM
GarethE
Scooby Regular

Also, if someone wanted to take your car for a "joy ride" or to "see what it can do" they would want the speedo working.

Just a thought
Old 08 April 2004, 06:55 PM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

how about one of the mechanics needed some fuel ?????? bit of hose pipe and theres your fuel gone !!!!!!!!
seams a bit to much hassle though just for a gallon of fuel...
Old 08 April 2004, 11:10 PM
S55DRJ
Scooby Regular

sounds bad, but if the speedo was disconnected the car would go into "safe" mode and would give very little boost as well not revving more that 4000 rpm.... still not cricket though, anyway it should have some miles on it for a test drive after repairs, we certaily always do it to make sure ther are no rattles/wind noise etc?
Old 10 April 2004, 06:08 PM
Scrappydoo2003
Scooby Regular

How's life in the 23rd Century Buck, by the way? You given Wilma Deering one yet, or Tweeki?
Old 11 April 2004, 09:29 AM
wide
Scooby Regular

May be they left it tick over for awhile with the heaters on to get the filler to dry