Notices

North Wales this weekend! Anyone from there?

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2003, 12:25 AM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to go up to Betys Coed, North Wales (is that right?!) this Friday for the weekend for a friends wedding! I'm told it's where they hold the RAC Rally stage, up near Snowdonia. Looking forward to some of the roads I should encounter up there!

Is anyone on here from that neck of the woods who could recommend any nice routes???!!!

Cheers,

Dan.
Old 16 July 2003, 05:10 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Wow man!You will have good time even on the main route to your destination here!Will check it out again and answer you later for more top roads here!
Old 16 July 2003, 10:04 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Betws Y Coed.

Have a blat round the Evo triangle (where they do their Car of the Year tests). The base of the triangle is the A5 (watch your speed!), one side goes past Brenig reservoir, the other is the A5XX (X being numbers I can't remember!), you'll probably work it out easily enough on a map though. Highly recommended.

Have fun.

Ben
Old 16 July 2003, 10:16 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Hi thanks for your replies! Should be a nice journey as long as the roads are clear I'm going to set off late morning on Friday to head up. Probably go the M6/A5 route.
Old 16 July 2003, 11:12 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Ah!! The Evo Triangle. I've done this route many times and it's a feckin hoot

It's made up of the A543 and B4501, and a very small section of the A5.

If you get your road atlas out, you'll find the A543 just south east of Betws y Coed along the A5. It's signposted 'Denbigh'. The B4501 then goes back towards Cerrigydrudion and the A5. if you do the route clockwise, it's a right turn, maybe 1/5 of a mile past the Sportsmans pub. The only bit of the A5 used in the triangle is the section that makes up its 'base'.

The 543 is narrow, tight, twisty, uneven and breathtaking - a real challenge. The 4501 is wider, undulating and has faster sweepers. The A5 is wider still, and pretty much straight. Evo magazine use the 'triangle' because it gives them the opportunity to test their cars on a wide variety of different road types in a very short space of time. You should be able to do the whole lot in about 20 minutes.

Further into Snowdonia but still on the A5, there's the section between Capel Curig and Bethesda (another road used by Evo mag), the A4086, just off the A5 between Capel Curig and Llanberis (taking in the stunning Llanberis Pass and, again, used by Evo mag), and the A498/A4085 through Beddgelert and Rhyd Ddu. Gorgeous roads if it's quiet.

These are just on my doorstep

enjoy

Kev

[Edited by cefski - 7/16/2003 11:17:17 PM]
Old 16 July 2003, 11:16 PM
Ch!lledBudwei2er
Scooby Regular

I should be good for a drive in the ITR on Friday as Im on a day off, so if anyone else wants to meet up for a good old drive ?!
Old 16 July 2003, 11:22 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Thanks Kev that's a great help, I've had the old atlas out and I've seen the triangle. Looking forward to that one! I'll check out the others you've mentioned to if I can as I want some really scenic roads to pull over and get some nice shots of the car with nice backdrops.

I'm aiming to be up there for around 3ish on Friday for a blat around before I go find the hotel then again on Sunday before I head back down. If anyone's around look out for a silver MY00 'W' plate, that'll be me!!!
Old 16 July 2003, 11:38 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Dan - if it's nice photos you want, try the A498 (aka Nant Gwynant). THere's three or four lay bys on the way down with beautiful backdrops for photos.

Mail me at kevin@enlli.fsnet.co.uk if you want more details.

kev
Old 16 July 2003, 11:45 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Yep I've seen that on the map, I'll def take a trip down there as well. You've all been a great help it's really appreciated! And how lucky are you to live by roads like those! It's what the Scooby was built for!

Oh one other thing - how is it for petrol stations round there cos I can see myself needing one!!!
Old 16 July 2003, 11:58 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Do you use Optimax? If so, there's a Shell filling station in Betws y Coed. If you venture further afield, you'll find Shell stations at Llandudno Junction, Menai Bridge and Porthmadog.
There's a few other Esso, BP and lo-cost type garages around every other corner, almost.

kev
Old 17 July 2003, 12:05 AM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Yes I do so that's good news! I'll be heading off on a full tank, wonder if it will get me there?! I'll def fill up in Betws before I go on the routes you've said though! I may be meeting up with Carl555DBM on the Friday afternoon at the triangle if anyone else will be around???
Old 17 July 2003, 12:19 AM
carl555
Scooby Regular

Cool

Ok - its looking like we have a meet on our hands here!!!

Ch!lledBudwei2er – can u make it Friday afternoon?
Cefski too ? – missed you both last weekend as couldn’t make it to Ty Croes.

I’ve suggested meeting at the Sportsmans at around 3PM – but I think we should wait to see what time Dan can make it.
Old 17 July 2003, 12:22 AM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Sorry - working all day friday and the car has been promised a well earned chill-out over the weekend (almost 1k miles this week!!!)

kev
Old 17 July 2003, 12:30 AM
carl555
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sorry to hear that Kev

Anyone else?
Rob, James, Ray, Dave,……this list is gettin' bigger every week !!
Old 17 July 2003, 12:38 AM
cefski
Scooby Regular

LOL - just read the other thread re the speed traps.

I could loan someone my target/euro 550 detector for a suitable deposit

TBH, I've never seen a trap on any of the mentioned roads, though I've heard that the Triangle has been targeted recently (because of it's growing reputation, presumably).

There are no fixed cameras, so you'll only have those big white or blue vans with fluorescent markings to look out for.

kev
Old 17 July 2003, 12:43 AM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Carl - where are you, btw?

kev
Old 17 July 2003, 12:51 AM
carl555
Scooby Regular

Cool

In bed mate! Not, but should be for work in the morning...LOL
From the Rhyl area on the coast
Old 17 July 2003, 08:24 AM
Ch!lledBudwei2er
Scooby Regular

Im free all day friday as it stands at the moment!
Old 17 July 2003, 03:29 PM
TURBORAY
Scooby Regular

Carl,were you at ty croes the other week (22nd june) when it was p-ing ti down ? were you the guy who recognised our no plate ? just trying to work out if we've met you or not !!

Donna.
Old 17 July 2003, 03:30 PM
topdog
Scooby Regular

I could meet up with you if it was friday evening, maybe that would suit Dan better

Dewi
Old 17 July 2003, 03:42 PM
daiscooby
BANNED

Wink

Corner :d:d
Old 17 July 2003, 04:38 PM
rob555
Scooby Regular

hi there all,
thanx for the e-mail carl but unfortunately richie and i are both working tomorrow so we can't make it, sounded like a good run too never mind, will see you all a week on saturday.
rob
Old 18 July 2003, 11:23 AM
TURBORAY
Scooby Regular

hi there carl just got in from work and seen this but unfortunately no can do just off to bed for a few hours before i go back for my next shift at 5.00 p.m .sorry mate sounds like it's going to be a scream maybe next time .
Old 18 July 2003, 05:06 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Anyone back yet? How did it go?

kev
Old 18 July 2003, 05:49 PM
Ch!lledBudwei2er
Scooby Regular

I never heard anything about this happening and with the board down I went and transferd my new private plate and got me some harnesses for the car
Old 18 July 2003, 07:01 PM
TURBORAY
Scooby Regular

whddya maen chi!!ed ? couldnt you get access to SN today ? we wanted to go but Ray's been busy with work. Hi Kev btw ! How's your head ? as the colour faded yet ? Ray's started to peel now ,there's flakes everywhere....YUCK !!!!!!!

donna.
Old 18 July 2003, 07:23 PM
TURBORAY
Scooby Regular

is nobody back yet ? i thought somebody would have replied to Kev before now !i'm quite bored and would like to know how you lot enjoyed the spin !

donna.
Old 18 July 2003, 08:04 PM
carl555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yeah – back now.
Firstly - things didn’t go quite as planned, Dan got stuck on the M6 and couldn’t get to me in time.
Secondly – its going to take a hell of a jet wash to get the flies off the front of the car !!!
So, just me and me Scooby then, but a hell of blast, turned out to be a ‘Rally of the 4 lakes’ – Celyn, Brenig, Alwen, Ogwen.
Fantastic day for it – I even managed to take in some of the scenery – last run through here and it was pi$$ing it down.
Eventually did bump into Dan in Betws when I was the way home (err…this is kinda the long way round for me, but you know how it is !!!)

So thanks for asking – wasn’t quite what was planned but a hell of an afternoon all the same – all 180 miles of it
Carl…..
Old 18 July 2003, 08:19 PM
TURBORAY
Scooby Regular

take it you enjoyed it then !!? did nobody else meet up with you ? them flies stick like glue,i don'y envy you trying to get 'em off the car !are you still coming to the promrally ?i put a post for you in the promrally thread asking a couple of questions,so,were you the bloke who recognised our reg plate at ty croes the other week?

donna.
Old 18 July 2003, 08:50 PM
carl555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Donna,

Yeah, had great time !!
Regarding the Prom Rally – Yes, I’ll be there. (Sorry I haven’t replied to the other post – just too busy driving the car). Will sort out a place to meet, somewhere on the ***, don’t bother turning off.
Yes – I was the guy at Ty Croes for the Rallycross, the first time you went – when it was really crappy weather. Couldn’t make the week or so later to the next one.
Cheers! Carl……

Quick Reply: North Wales this weekend! Anyone from there?