Notices
Trader Announcements Announcements (including special offers, product/service information) made by Authorised Advertisers

JTi supplied brass sensors - use with Methanol.

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2013, 12:26 AM
JTinnovations
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JTi supplied brass sensors - use with Methanol.

I thought I'd better let everyone know the situation with the brass AEM sensors I supplied, up until around October last year.

Although these worked fine when first installed, and they were sold in good faith, it became apparent that after a period of use - and when used with methanol or ethanol - they were failing too regularly for my liking. AEM would not state one way or the other whether the sensor would or would not work with methanol. So I stopped selling them and switched to UK-manufactured items from KA Sensors.

I have shipped getting on for 200 KA Sensors 10 bar pressure sensors, and also many many of their MAP sensors, since late last year, and have had only 2 failures. Both of those were used for oil not fuel, and failed due to an over-pressure oil surge (they are rated to 1.5x range, i.e. 15 bar). I, of course, exchanged these without question.

What this means is that any AEM brass sensors, if used to measure fuel pressure in vehicles using methanol or ethanol, are on borrowed time. AEM brass sensors used as oil pressure sensors should be absolutely fine, especially if remote mounted on a braided hose to reduce the risk of vibration-induced faults.

If any of our customers have brass sensors and would like to upgrade to the stainless steel KA version, please contact me: the exchange will be, basically, at cost - I don't want anyone to be running with potentially defective sensors supplied be me

Last edited by JTinnovations; 31 May 2013 at 12:27 AM.