Notices
Trader Announcements Announcements (including special offers, product/service information) made by Authorised Advertisers

Our 2.1 Stroker build

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2009, 10:27 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Our 2.1 Stroker build

A high spec unit, just ready for delivery to Scotland.
Closed deck block 2.1 stroker.
CNC Heads by Ric Wood using Cosworth plus 1mm stainless/inconel valves and 278/274 cams, RCM verniers. 14mm stud conversion.
Cosworth bearings, head gaskets, baffle plate and large rotor oil pump.
All parts supplied and all machining and building carried out by Enginetuner.

Old 14 June 2009, 10:45 PM
Frederic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
A high spec unit, just ready for delivery to Scotland.
Closed deck block 2.1 stroker.
CNC Heads by Ric Wood using Cosworth plus 1mm stainless/inconel valves and 278/274 cams, RCM verniers. 14mm stud conversion.
Cosworth bearings, head gaskets, baffle plate and large rotor oil pump.
All parts supplied and all machining and building carried out by Enginetuner.

Hi Alan
like mine?
regards
Fred

Last edited by Frederic; 14 June 2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 14 June 2009, 10:59 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by Frederic
Hi Alan
like mine?
regards
Fred
The block is like yours! It'll be on its way to you this week...
Old 15 June 2009, 08:27 AM
Frederic
Scooby Regular

The block is like yours! It'll be on its way to you this week...
thank you very much Alan
regards
Fred
Old 15 June 2009, 12:13 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good Alan. Is this on its way to Hypertech? If so Scott will be a happy man.
Old 15 June 2009, 11:13 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by g7prs
Looking good Alan. Is this on its way to Hypertech? If so Scott will be a happy man.
I heard they had a delivery today! it took a lorry of its own..
Old 16 June 2009, 07:21 AM
millzy555
Scooby Regular

Can i ask how much please as this is what im after
Old 16 June 2009, 08:07 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by millzy555
Can i ask how much please as this is what im after
Short block is £2050 inc vat, based on your original block. That includes forged rods and pistons, new crank, balancing, and uses Cosworth bearings. It's supplied painted and ready to fit. We can supply a closed deck block if you'd like one, around £450 appears to be the going rate now.
Of course we can also carry out the whole job from start to finish if that suits you!
Old 28 June 2009, 11:20 AM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

Short block is £2050 inc vat, based on your original block. That includes forged rods and pistons, new crank, balancing, and uses Cosworth bearings. It's supplied painted and ready to fit. We can supply a closed deck block if you'd like one, around £450 appears to be the going rate now.
Of course we can also carry out the whole job from start to finish if that suits you!

What sorta price are you talking for one like in your original post Alan? CDB, heads, the full shabang? or will it vary?

What sort of heads do you use?
What sort of power are these capable of?

Im going to need a forged build at some point but i doubt it be using my orig block from a uk car, id want something a tad stonger

pm me if you like
Old 28 June 2009, 06:40 PM
nullfork
Scooby Regular

Hi

What sort of CR would this result in given standard STI v6 heads and standard HG thickness?

Stuart
Old 29 June 2009, 10:03 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrighty338
What sorta price are you talking for one like in your original post Alan? CDB, heads, the full shabang? or will it vary?

What sort of heads do you use?
What sort of power are these capable of?

Im going to need a forged build at some point but i doubt it be using my orig block from a uk car, id want something a tad stonger

pm me if you like
At the moment we are still charging £2050 inc vat for the short block build.
CDB's are around £400 to buy as we speak. I'm sure we have one in stock. We charge £143.75 inc vat for the rear thrust conversion. You can use any heads, as long it matches your set up. We have some modified STi V3 heads with Cosworth cams if you're keen, and it fits your manifold etc.
Old 29 June 2009, 10:07 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nullfork
Hi

What sort of CR would this result in given standard STI v6 heads and standard HG thickness?

Stuart
Ideally, we'd have the heads with us to work it out. Theoretically, we can come up with a variety if you have a preference. We'd go for 8.4 to 1 or thereabouts with a standard build, our Andy would deal with it on a case by case basis.
Old 04 July 2009, 08:01 PM
ScoobyNudge
Scooby Regular

I just cant wait to get some cash together then alan and martin will be sick of the sight of me!

Keep up the great work mate!
Old 05 July 2009, 07:30 AM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

At the moment we are still charging £2050 inc vat for the short block build.
CDB's are around £400 to buy as we speak. I'm sure we have one in stock. We charge £143.75 inc vat for the rear thrust conversion. You can use any heads, as long it matches your set up. We have some modified STi V3 heads with Cosworth cams if you're keen, and it fits your manifold etc.

il be after one later this year
Old 05 July 2009, 07:50 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Alan, I presume the 'exchange' would require a CDB and not open, as in a 05 wrx block..?

What would be the ceiling if one of these blocks were used with wrx heads (assuming the heads were the bottle neck)..?
Old 06 July 2009, 07:56 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
Alan, I presume the 'exchange' would require a CDB and not open, as in a 05 wrx block..?

What would be the ceiling if one of these blocks were used with wrx heads (assuming the heads were the bottle neck)..?
If you buy a CDB from us, it would be an outright purchase. We base the cost on using your old block, or another one if you supplied it.

Martyn's car puts out 500 bhp plus using stock Sti 3 heads and cams. I've no idea what the actual difference would be using WRX heads and cams. They can be worked of course.
Old 06 July 2009, 03:51 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonius

My info is that newage 2litre wrx heads would be good up to 440-450

Last edited by trevsjwood; 06 July 2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10 July 2009, 09:51 AM
petedotuk
Scooby Regular

If I was to send you a CDB how much to build it to a 2.1 or even 2.2 short motor?
Would be putting STi 8 heads on it and maxxing out a MD321T.

Last edited by petedotuk; 10 July 2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11 July 2009, 01:23 PM
si2000
Scooby Regular

So for £2050 i can have a built 2.1 that all i have to do is put heads on, is this correct? If so this is an absolute bargain!!!!
Old 11 July 2009, 04:00 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

If you buy a CDB from us, it would be an outright purchase. We base the cost on using your old block, or another one if you supplied it.

Martyn's car puts out 500 bhp plus using stock Sti 3 heads and cams. I've no idea what the actual difference would be using WRX heads and cams. They can be worked of course.

Alan quick question has Martyn adapted the version 3 sti heads to fit his car? As his car is a version 5/6 wrx and it would easier to use sti heads from the same year.

Banny
Old 12 July 2009, 11:55 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Alan quick question has Martyn adapted the version 3 sti heads to fit his car? As his car is a version 5/6 wrx and it would easier to use sti heads from the same year.

Banny
Correct, it is of course a V5 with V5 heads. We have some STi 3 heads in stock, I must have transposed them into his car in a senior mental moment. I keep getting confused by his private reg number.
It's all about the manifold and fittings, which we have lying around as well as a brand new set of Cosworth cams from a cancelled order. I suppose that's where he'll want to go next, although I'd rather sell the parts than give them to him!
Old 12 July 2009, 02:09 PM
nullfork
Scooby Regular

Ideally, we'd have the heads with us to work it out. Theoretically, we can come up with a variety if you have a preference. We'd go for 8.4 to 1 or thereabouts with a standard build, our Andy would deal with it on a case by case basis.
Cheers,

I'm having the volume of the heads measured, I'll be in touch when I know the capacity; 8.4:1 sounds fine to me.

One more question, do you offer a balancing service or any type of piston coating?

Stu
Old 12 July 2009, 06:06 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Cheers,

I'm having the volume of the heads measured, I'll be in touch when I know the capacity; 8.4:1 sounds fine to me.

One more question, do you offer a balancing service or any type of piston coating?

Stu
We do full engine balancing, we need the crank, flywheel, front pulley and preferably clutch cover as well. We balance each item individually. We also balance the rods and pistons.
Sorry, we don't coat pistons.
Old 16 July 2009, 07:55 PM
nullfork
Scooby Regular

We do full engine balancing, we need the crank, flywheel, front pulley and preferably clutch cover as well. We balance each item individually. We also balance the rods and pistons.
Sorry, we don't coat pistons.
Thanks. One more question:-

What rod length is used in the build? (I'm guessing the pistons have a shorter compression height)?

Stu
Old 16 July 2009, 10:48 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Thanks. One more question:-

What rod length is used in the build? (I'm guessing the pistons have a shorter compression height)?

Stu
Correct, if we used the standard rods and pistons, they'd poke out of the block! Interesting one this. The theory is that the longer throw crank exerts a greater side load on the bore, although of course no more than any other 2.5 engine. We've tried them with long and short rods, although we use coated pistons for both, and feel there's nothing in it either way. Martyn's engine happens to use the short (-1mm) rods. Whatever rods you use, of course the pistons used are manufactured for the correct deck height.
Old 17 July 2009, 09:39 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

my stroker from alan is a 2.1 based on a 1996wrx which alan says should be capable of up to 500bhp,cannot remember details off top of my head lol
martin
Old 29 July 2009, 10:11 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

Alan - any chane of an email with info/prices etc of everything you do with regards to 2.1 builds? Iv just picked up a bare 2.0 CDB and want to forge it its early days yet but im thinking

v9 crank with some decent pistons/rods
cosworth sump + baffle plate with 12mm OD oil pump
v5/v6/p1 heads with 14mm stud conversion
+ a nice turbo!

everything else i should be able to swap from my well specced uk turbo engine - but i want it as immaculate as the one pictured above!
Old 30 July 2009, 07:08 AM
millzy555
Scooby Regular

Same here please as i have also got a cdb to start the forged process!
Old 30 July 2009, 10:38 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrighty338
Alan - any chane of an email with info/prices etc of everything you do with regards to 2.1 builds? Iv just picked up a bare 2.0 CDB and want to forge it its early days yet but im thinking

v9 crank with some decent pistons/rods
cosworth sump + baffle plate with 12mm OD oil pump
v5/v6/p1 heads with 14mm stud conversion
+ a nice turbo!

everything else i should be able to swap from my well specced uk turbo engine - but i want it as immaculate as the one pictured above!
No problem chaps.
We can spec a new 2.5 crank, K1 rods and Wiseco pistons also Cosworth or ACL race bearings, depending on availability. We machine the rear thrust on the CDB for the new crank. We balance the assembly and build and paint the block. The short block comes in at £2050 inc vat, plus the rear thrust machining at £143.75.
Baffle plate is £167.35
12mm rotor pump is £299
14mm stud conversion comes in at £316.25 for the studs and £115 for the machining. There are other alternatives, such as the Cosworth 260,000 lb tensile items at £285.20
Turbo, S206! £1144.25 and a proven 500 bhp.

All the above prices include vat.
Old 30 July 2009, 02:54 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

Thats brilliant, just over £3g's for what im after then. Best get saving!

Recomendations for heads on a 1999 car? sti 5/6? AVCS?

Quick Reply: Our 2.1 Stroker build