Notices

Track Days, Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2002, 07:45 PM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never done a track day but always fancied having a go but before I did I thought I would spectate at one to find out the score & plumped for Castle Coombe yesterday. I am now just a tadge worried, 95% of the drivers went for a track day, the rest I think should have gone for a ***** DAY!, some of the driving was plain stupid, some of the prangs between cars could have been easily avoided & several cars looked as the Insurance boys would say "beyond economical repair".
I saw one idiot approach a corner with no chance of slowing down, went up the inside of one car entering the corner & into the side of the next guy, his Fiesta panned in & no way his fault. Another worying point for me was that some of the cars were of shall we say low value (old Sieras etc)& the drivers did not seem too worried about throwing them away

My question is simple, as a track day novice where is the best place to start, I have Insurance cover & I am thinking of doing a Personal Instruction day at Thruxton first. But then, are their any novice days anywhere,(I am Hampshire based), are some organised events better than others, are their any events where people respect others more, Whilst I dont want the trash my STI myself but accept it could happen I dont want it wrecked by some **** in a 20 year old Fiesta

Any constructive advice would be apreciated

Stuart
Old 28 April 2002, 08:40 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Stuart

I was at CC yesterday and have also been thinking of doing a track day, like you I was a little concerned with some of the antics going on. I picked up one of the circuit guides and in it they are offering instruction followed by laps in on of their GTi's and then the opportunity to drive your own car round "at your own pace". Seems like a good starting point and reasonable at £140.

Mike

Old 28 April 2002, 08:55 PM
Turboteeth
Scooby Regular

The CCC day has a bit of a reputation for attracting the tw@ts.

I would also avoid venturing on the the track on the RS Owners club day as it's a similar story.

However, the Classic & Sportscar or kit car days are generally less frantic.

Old 29 April 2002, 08:22 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Smile

Quite simply stick to the reputable well organised professional days/trackday companies....

SIDC in conjunction with Easytrack have a superb day coming up at Oulton Park (My home track & fave come to think of it )

There are also other days planned in the trackday forum...check them out...in the 28 trackdays I have done since last May I can honestly say each one has been professionaly organised with incidents ONLY down to driver's own error

Mail me off line if you want more info or a chat

Chris
Old 29 April 2002, 01:40 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've done trackdays with the SIDC and Bookatrack and they're both very professional organizations. Track discipline very good on both too, unlike the ***** at TRAX.
Old 29 April 2002, 08:54 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Bedford, Bedford and then Bedford.

I had exactly the same thoughts as you. Taking my 25k WRX on a track with no insurance. The SIDC days at Beford are the nuts. My first time was scoobys only, thus keeping out the '****' element. Last time this March was great to, mainly scooby's but a nice group of Skylines and some other makes.

I'm not knocking people with other makes / cheaper cars - but the fact is that most people (IMHO) may take a lot less care in an inexpensive car.

Good luck and have fun

David
Old 01 May 2002, 10:06 AM
Sieze
Scooby Regular

If you ring thruxton I think they sell tuition lessons with an instructor for a reasonable ammount. You pay per hour (I seem to remember a local lad who whould go for a drive in his lunchtime). Obviously there weren't many people on track because it was not an offical track day.

Trending Topics

Old 01 May 2002, 01:09 PM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

Thanks for replies so far, I now feel a bit better. I think the Thruxton deal is something like £100 for 40 or 50 minutes with an instructor which sounds reosnable & I intend doing this prior to venturing out on my own. As sugested I will also look for good club days etc.
I am down for the Cannonball in Oct which includes a track day on a current F1 circuit somewhere in Europe & I need some practice, I dont want to look a total novice.
Old 01 May 2002, 02:59 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

the mlr are holding one at castle combe on friday there ones are professionly run and all the drivers love there cars they dont go to see if they can force drivers out of the way or turn it into a banger race they like looking at there cars aswell as driving them and they dont want to explain to the wife about how there cars have £10000 worth of damage
Old 01 May 2002, 11:52 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

I've been on a few SIDC run track-days and all I can say is that generally the standard of driving was excellent. O.k. a few 'incidents' but I cant recall any of them involving 1 car hiting another, just slightly over estimated abilities
Old 03 May 2002, 04:08 PM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

Just an update, Thruxton personal instrution is now £150 for an hour & they dont do many days a year, next date is in july
Old 06 May 2002, 06:36 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I agree wholeheartedly about the general standard of conduct at SIDC track days. Having done several now, they tend to be well organised and well 'policed'. There are always going to be incidents when the 'red mist' descends- or merely from over-enthusiasm (when speed overtakes ability, as i think someone once referred to it!), but the SIDC guys, along with the marshalls tend to make sure that they are dealt with before they become too bad.

simon
Old 13 May 2002, 10:12 PM
DeerHunter
Scooby Regular

my first and only track day was at oulton park with easytrack, the first session was with an instuctor to teach you the lines / how to brake / turn in etc...

3 things i would definately do:

1: insure your car for at least 50% of its value - i spun on the last bend and missed a barrier by 6ft - i had only had it 4 weeks!! - **** myself!

2: you will take 6000 miles of your tyres in 2 hrs...

3: if you have std brakes they will need new pads after...

I havn't done one since as it is a major cost and i wouldnt chance my pride and joy unless it was insured (£150 for £14K cover per day + £95 for racing pads + tyre wear + £150 to easytrack + instruction £10) - so £450 for a day.

PS - do it once though and if you have the cash - do it all the time!
Old 13 May 2002, 11:22 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

deerhunter,
who did you organise your insurance cover through (and what did it exclude).
simon
www.scoobessential.com
Old 14 May 2002, 08:35 AM
Timbo33
Scooby Regular

Stuart,

Thruxton is an excellent circuit - the fastest in the UK and you shouldn't experience many of the problems you saw at Castle Combe where there are a lot of corners that need taking with respect.

Thruxton is largely flat out all the way with only the complex and the chicane to worry about - as long as there aren't any cars around you there's plenty of run off if you spin or overshoot.

As an alternative - try an Airfield Day.

Me and some mates are off to North Weald in Essex next month to learn some advanced driving techniques and have a blast in our own cars with no-one else around.

Price is £105 each for a full day (10.00 'til 16.00) which I think is pretty good value.

http://www.1stlotus.co.uk/

Old 14 May 2002, 07:29 PM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

Timbo
Thanks for the advice, my wife would like to have a go as well so 2x105 is better than 2x150 also Airfield has more run off.

Let me know what you thought of it when you have done it, mail me direct if easier

Stuart
Old 15 May 2002, 07:42 AM
Timbo33
Scooby Regular

You have a wife who wants a go as well!!!!

I gotta get me a new wife...

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...threadid=95655

Old 17 May 2002, 08:22 AM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

Timbo
Yep she wants to have a go & an Airfield would be a good place for both of us to start, after all you only find your limits by going past them & if you throw it away where there is no armco it costs less.
We are doing the Cannonball in October which Includes a track day on a current European F1 circuit & we will both want to drive on that, we dont want to look total novices amongst all those who know (or think they know) what they are doing
Old 20 May 2002, 12:34 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Stuart,
Have you thought about Goodwood?
I did my first track day there with Easytrack and it was great. The curcuit is quite fast but doesn't wear the tyres and brakes like some curcuits.
Easytrack were (as stated) very profesional. There was a good mix of cars (Evo RS, Elise's, Caterham's) and they ran 3 classes(Novice, intermediate and expert)

Do it you won't regret it! You'll be smiling for weeks
Old 20 May 2002, 06:07 PM
Stuart J
Scooby Regular

Dyney,
Goodwood is definately on the list of "to be done" as I am a member of the GRRC. However I fancy an Instructor day first & North Weald looks favorite at the moment