Notices

Time attack, Against all odds.

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2010, 10:11 PM
cannonballer
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time attack, Against all odds.

Firstly I'd like to say a massive thankyou to the Scoobyclinic yet again, especially to Mark and Andy who worked there Knackers off all weekend.
The weekend started badly on Friday evening, when realizing on the way up to Knockhill we had forgotten to pack the Lap top, timing beacon and methanol.
We got to the hotel, they had us down for a twin room for one night rather than the tripple room for two nights that I had booked
Saturday morning didn't get much better, the large Subaru motorsport tent we had taken had been previously borrowed by someone and completely fooked up, after nearly two hours of wrestling with it in the freak weather conditions that Knockhill can provide we decided to give up and put it away because at one point it took off to about six foot off the ground and nearly dumped itself onto the scoob.
Eventually got in the car after missing the first couple of sessions, the car has a different set of brakes fitted which weren't playing ball either
The bolts that mount the bells to the discs decided to catch on the caliper bolts through the bends so straight back in to grind them off.
Next outing, air in system, re-blead and new pads.
Next outing, discs warped, new discs and re-try.
Next outing, brake pedal very temperamental as to where it bites, came to the conclusion it was pad knock and convinced myself there was going to be a brake pedal there somewhere when I needed it
Next outing, final adjustments on damping, try again, job done, things are looking up.
Back to Hotel, Britains got talent, gallon of beer and bed
Sunday, Warm up, car very good, low boost, crap tyres, set second fastest time, everything looking good
Practice, still on low boost and crap tyres but developed a noise, not a nice noise either, sounded like something in the transmission, set fourth fastest time so quite happy with that.
We decided to bring some strategy into play and preserve the car for the final and forfit the qualifying points.
Qualifying, went out with the intension of pottering round but then thought sod it, I'll just slip a quickie in, over start and finish, dropped down into the right hander, threw it into the left, it always picked up the two left wheels over the kerb and drifted out a bit, which had been cool all day before this occasion, it carried on drifting, gripped, fired me across the gravel and stopped deep into tyre wall, showering the spectators with gravel and dust.
Got conformation off the scrutineer that I could nip out again to get a lap in so I could go out in the final.
Spent the next two hours sticking panels back together with ductape, cable ties, wood screws and pretty much anything else we could find.
Final, brand new tyres, full boost, anti lag, nasty transmission noise and no fookin confidence because of the crash, had a chat with myself, come all this way, had all this crap to deal with, fookit, I'm going for it with complete disregard for my own life and limb.
Done several laps, got into second, noise got louder, there cant be much longer left in the transmission. right then all or bust, the lads signalled me, 1st, wooooooohooooooooo, done it.
Went over the line and the nasty noise turned into a loud bang.
What I thought was gearbox turned out to be rear diff lunching itself.
Many thanks to James Nicholls for the timing beacon, to Clive Seddon for the Methanol, to everyone that gave us ductape and again to the clinic for the backing.
I'll now hand the car back to kev at the Clinic to fix and Kev Horsley for the next round and hope he treats it better than I did (sorry Kevs)
Andy Harvey

Last edited by cannonballer; 17 May 2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 25 May 2010, 07:33 PM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Location: 2010 Time Attack Club Pro Champion - Powered by ScoobyClinic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers for (almost) everything you did! Added your write up to my projects thread, along with photos & your onboard video; https://www.scoobynet.com/580629-wrx...inally-10.html