Notices

Why I didn't make it to the SIDC AGM today....

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2001, 12:34 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I set out at 08:30, had been raining all night, river running past the end of the drive. Got six miles, and the road was impassable, so had to turn round. By the time I got back the two ways in to my house were blocked by floods and had to abandon the car up the hill in the village and climb over a mate's back fence (he was out) as the only other way was to wade through the 3 foot deep water where the Sierra is stuck in the picture below

Flood at the bottom of our drive:

Someone tried to get their Sierra through and failed - I got out this way when it was 4" deep, 1 hour later it was 3' deep....

Mrs T-S going out for a paddle at the bottom of our drive.....

I used to live here 100 yards away from where we live now - glad I moved.....the water in the stream is approximately 8' deep

Just down the road - this is what happens when the water pressure in the surface water drain gets too much and blows the manhole cover off.....

As I write I am looking down the drive and the water is still rising, now starting to come up the drive....

The Scoob is safe and well on dry ground, I may be able to retrieve it whenever the water goes down!!

[Edited by Dave T-S - 10/21/2001 12:42:10 PM]
Old 21 October 2001, 04:22 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation

Dave

Cool!!! I'm not too far from you & some of our roads are much the same

Took PTMW! out for a drive this AM (to show the bro-in-law ) & came to a flat out 60mph L/hander to find it was 12in deep

As for the rest of the raod conditions - wet, muddy, damp leaves, running rivulets... Perfect scooby weather

Old 21 October 2001, 04:53 PM
jimi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Holy ****

If i had got stuck at your house would it have been ok to stay over,dont mind the sofa!

See you at donna dave be good to me wont you.

Do you still have carolines car?

JIM
Old 21 October 2001, 05:51 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Weather update - 17:45 - still raining!

Walked down to the end of the road via the fields - two feet deep that end, and the Sierra is still under water to the bootlid at this end of the road

Scoob still stranded up the hill

When I came back this morning one of the floods was deeper than I would have preferred to go through, crawled through with it up to bottom of the doors - when I got back found the PIAA's were half full of water - a clean up job coming on methinks...

Jimi - bit damper than you remember it, eh?
Old 22 October 2001, 07:51 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Finally managed to retrieve my Scoob at 20:15

Dismantled PIAA's, rinsed the 2" of muddy water out of them, dried them out with a hairdrier, back on and as good as new at 21:15, finally sat down with a glass of wine......

We were cut off by road for 11 hours in all - apparantly 90mm of rain in our area yesterday; that's 150% of the normal total for the whole of October - in 24 hours

Interesting day.....

Managed to get out by road this morning, in places the road surface has burst where the floods got underneath it, and the road 4" deep in silt/stones/tree debris in places - surprisingly not many people around at 6am

[Edited by Dave T-S - 10/22/2001 8:04:17 AM]
Old 22 October 2001, 08:27 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dave,

One of the down sides of living somewhere nice

Shame you couldn't make it - Pete really missed you (but he managed to finish the race this time ).

Anybody know what happened to Yex?

Matt
Old 22 October 2001, 09:09 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Matt,

I was in the same position as Dave. We spoke just as I was approaching the Stanstead services and the weather was appalling. As I turned off the M11 the roads became like a shallow lake and considerably more dangerous than the motorway. As I would need to head cross country from there to the A45 I decided to go home as the rain was becoming worse and the driving conditions very poor, even for a Scoob As Dave's pictures confirm it looks like I made the right choice. I hope Pete got the message I left for him at Whilton Mill saying Dave and I couldn't get there.

Sorry to have missed it, but won loads of brownie points for future events by decorating the kitchen instead

Yex

Trending Topics

Old 22 October 2001, 11:15 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Dave we have reviewed your excuse and deemed it acceptable

Yex... as a result of you not turning up, Rainman's RSOC team won the karting (Well done Mike and team ) Wet?? it took 4 hours to my jeans to dry out

Great fun and a BIG thanks to everyone who braved the weather.

Sorry the AGM was late starting, this was a combination of delays by Whilton and people being stuck on the M25, which was closed due to weather related accidents.
Old 22 October 2001, 01:02 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Wink

"Dave we have reviewed your excuse and deemed it acceptable"

Thanks Pete

Next time the dream team of Pete the motorised unicyclist, Dave the Red Baron and Ian "speedy" Yexley will do the business.....

Talking of jeans, I changed mine/tumble dried them after walking in the floods FOUR times yesterday!!!!!
Old 22 October 2001, 01:12 PM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Talking

All,

You should have come to the Isle Of Wight. We even got to eat lunch outside on Sunday and in sunshine
Old 23 October 2001, 04:31 PM
ChrisB

Excellent photos Dave - good to hear of no lasting damage.

It was superb Scooby weather going down the A5 to the AGM from Staffs. Standing water in places and chucking it down but nothing the SO2s couldn't cope with.

ChrisB.