Notices

Track day virgin

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2006, 07:13 PM
sizzler
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track day virgin

I'm planning on doing the Donnington on 29th March and after some hints and tips for my Virgin trackday....

I've got a std 98 impreza turbo on 205/45-17 p-zero's, any tyre pressure advice???

The brakes tend to get pretty hot on the road so I was palnning to put DOT5 in for the track day, has anyone done this?

I've got a straight through hayward and scott cat back system, has anyone run this at Donnington on a 98db limit?

Anyone got advice on track day insurance?

Cheers,
James
Old 15 February 2006, 12:58 PM
ketchup
Scooby Newbie

i had my first trackday at Brands in December in my '03 STi
i have no mods and did not prepare anything apart from upping the tyre pressure by 2psi at the garage where i filled up near the track otherwise i just checked tyres, pads and all fluids where all ok
and i am happy to report everything came back in one piece - ok i did need 2new front tyres but they where pretty well worn to start with.
I looked into track insurance at a reasonable £100 but there was a £1500 excess! - so i did not bother.
plenty of good advice available at briefing and get an instructor session if you've never been before - IMHO well worth the £20
you'll have a great time it is loads of fun - cannot wait until i go again
Old 15 February 2006, 01:19 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sizzler
I'm planning on doing the Donnington on 29th March and after some hints and tips for my Virgin trackday....

I've got a std 98 impreza turbo on 205/45-17 p-zero's, any tyre pressure advice???

The brakes tend to get pretty hot on the road so I was palnning to put DOT5 in for the track day, has anyone done this?

I've got a straight through hayward and scott cat back system, has anyone run this at Donnington on a 98db limit?

Anyone got advice on track day insurance?

Cheers,
James
Hi James

I would strongly recommend changing your brake fluid to dot5.1 - to help prevent brake fade (or this may spoil your day). As for the exhaust - it's difficult to say. 98dB is their drive-by limit and they don't usually carry out static noise tests. I guess you should be ok.

As for track insurance - take it from me it's worth it. Try Eggar Lawson or Competition Car Insurance as they are also known. You could also ask your own insurance company if they will extend cover for a trackday at extra expense - mine did at Brands for £60. £60 or £100 is worth it when you crash your car on track and potentially face losing £14k's worth of motor - I know as I have been there.

Keep an eye out in the Trackday and National Events forum for other trackdays. I am involved in organising days and we post in there.

Cheers

Terry