Notices

Hillclimb Spring 2001 anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2000, 08:36 PM
phil_ng
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Just for something new, having been a regular trackie for years I am planning to do Prescott hillclimb next year. Its inexpensive, relatively safe and should be ideal for Scoobys. Especially STI's with short gearing.
Anyone interested should check out
Old 29 November 2000, 06:54 PM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

phil

Looks like a good idea, a full days tuition for less than £140-00 !

Might be a bit kinder on the car next to a trackday.

Deffinateley interested.....

Paul
Old 01 December 2000, 09:38 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Talking

Already booked m8s

Weds 11 April 2001 - me and the wife sharing the scoob, a mate with a Lotus 47R (~220hp, 900kg) and his mate driving his (ie first mate's) race prepared Caterham (150hp,495kg).

We'll definitely all be there 'cos we've had to pay already. There may be some spaces left...give 'em a ring if you're interested. You'll see it seems to be something to do with the Bugatti Owners Club - if you speak to the older chap there you can picture him driving an old Bugatti just by hearing his voice

Should be fun First mate has done it twice already and is more than happy to do it again. Not a high speed event or timed (necessarily ) - they show you the proper braking and turning points and you getloads of gos (sp?) with it all being video'd. There's a winner declared at the end of the day. First mate was the winner on his second visit.

I wrote a bit about it on another thread, but now the Search has gone I can't refer you to it

...now, where's that timer we can move between the cars for each run

[This message has been edited by MartinM (edited 01 December 2000).]
Old 02 December 2000, 12:24 AM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

phil_ng

I *think* that the 'winner' is the person that takes the best lines, brakes at the right places, drives smoothly etc. There's definitely no timing done, but I suspect that (and as my mate was the winner in his v.fast Caterham and he's v.good at driving it) a bit of speed and minor sideways motoring helps a bit too. I suspect that they don't talk, during the day, about there being a winner at the end so they don't get anyone going too bonkers.

There's no classes and its open to anyone in any sort of car.

You need to wear a helmet, which they will supply - FOC I think

*Apparently* its a relatively safe environment in terms of being able to come off the black stuff and not hitting anything, but there are some areas you definitely want to stay on the hill

You can share a car between two people (but have to pay twice ) - I think they run half the cars to the top, then return them to the start, either via the hill or a back road. So if you have a driver in each run, you can share the same car.

You drive by yourself, ie no instructor in the car. They show the videos of some/all runs at lunchtime, for teaching purchases

HOWEVER, but I've not done it before so don't rely on any of this as gospel - its just my best recollection of what my mate told me...the best thing would obviously be to give them a ring to clarify anything

Martin
Old 02 December 2000, 09:57 AM
phil_ng
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sounds good Martin but can you explain - the day youre going on if there is a winner declared at end it must be timed runs? Are there classes eg standard, modified etc? Is winner based on most improved run or what?
Phil
Old 04 December 2000, 10:41 PM
phil_ng
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Comeon guys - April 11 sounds like a good date to aim for. I think Ill get along before that for a bit of tuition.