Notices

Trackday prep?

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2005, 12:52 PM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trackday prep?

Well it finally happened after months of dread, 30 today!

Thing is the gf has bought me a trackday at bedford later on this month cause i've gone on and on about it to her. I'm glad in a way cause i'm convinced this will give me the shove to get into this properly.

Question is though - what do i need to do with the motor?? what should i take with me on the day?? fluids etc?

It is a uk MY96 turbo, panel filter, decat centre and H+S backbox. Also i have grooved/dimpled mintex c-tech discs but standard pads on 2 pots.

I am after any advice whatsoever as to how to prepare for this so i get the most out of it. I am aware this is my "first time" and as such is just a taster.

Any help/advice appreciated

Cheers all,
Ritchie.
Old 02 March 2005, 01:06 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Make sure your front pads are in good condition and have fun.

Try and go out with someone who is a little more experienced or get them to come out with you, rather than driving around and picking it up yourself.

............And you might want to increase your tyre preassures a little.
Old 02 March 2005, 01:21 PM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

It says the first session of the day includes instruction, which i think can only be a good thing. Is it worth putting some better pads in do you think? Or am i unlikely to be pushing things that hard to start with?

Ritchie.
Old 02 March 2005, 01:26 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Beware, the zorst on your car may exceed noise restrictions at bedford
Old 02 March 2005, 01:36 PM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austen_wrx
Beware, the zorst on your car may exceed noise restrictions at bedford
Really? Thought it was quite quiet?
How would i check this before hand? It still has the original downpipe, just de-catted centre.

Ritchie.
Old 02 March 2005, 01:38 PM
austen_wrx
Scooby Regular

Noise restriction is 101db, see here http://www.trackdays.co.uk/tracks/bedford.htm

You should get it checked out prior, or at least take your original back box along just incase.
Old 02 March 2005, 01:42 PM
willy
Scooby Regular

Pump your tyres up.... seriously I would add at least 5psi extra...
Your tyres will roll and chew up the edges otherwise.

Trending Topics

Old 02 March 2005, 01:43 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

you're pads wont last two laps.

Worth getting some uprated ones fitted.

Tyres will get worn heavily so put some old ones on if you can.

Remove all loose items from the car inc drivers mate and fury dice

Be sure to have a cool down lap to allow the brakes to cool and or they will warp faily sharpish

Check tyre pressure

Dont run with low v fuel (it'll swish around and miss the pump)

Think thats it.....

Oh and have some fun

Not sure what noise level yours will be but Bedford are fussy and wont let you run if you exceed limit.

Bob
Old 02 March 2005, 01:44 PM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by austen_wrx
Noise restriction is 101db, see here http://www.trackdays.co.uk/tracks/bedford.htm

You should get it checked out prior, or at least take your original back box along just incase.
Top tip,
Cheers mucka,

Ritchie.
Old 02 March 2005, 01:49 PM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

*****/bob,

Got an old set of p zero's recently taken off with a couple of mm left so will prob put these back on. They will possibly be better suited than whats on at the moment anyway.Pumped up to about 35 all round you reckon?

It's prob worth doing the pads as well, can do it myself and is a brill excuse to spend a few bob on the old girl.

Cheers for replies guys.

Ritchie.

ps - intend to have loads of fun, have already told the gf she doesn't know what she has started here!!!
Old 02 March 2005, 01:54 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

No probs mate.

Prolly worthwhile changing the brake fluid for some uprated 5.1 stuff while you're at it. Obviously check all other fluids inc gearbox oil. I overfill my gearbox slightly as its supposed to keep it a bit safer.

Check tyre pressures @ whilteline.com(?)

Old tyres are a gd idea.

Bob
Old 08 March 2005, 12:06 AM
Benno
Scooby Regular

I was at bedford a couple of weeks ago for my first trackday and I have a full decat (magnex backbox and centre, HKS downpipe) on a MY95 so I reckon you will not have any probs with noise restrictions.
Definately invest in some EBC yellow stuff pads front and back (track only) or some EBC Red Stuff pads (will wear more but kinder on the road). For the price you pay the difference in braking is amazing.
If you have a jerry can fill it with optimax as i used almost 2 tanks, if not there is fuel on site at an inflated price.
Take some spare oil to top up if you need to.
Take plenty of water, to drink.
Take girlfriend to drive you home as you will be knackered by the end.
Be prepared to spend the rest of the year trawling through the trackdays threads as you will be hooked.
Old 08 March 2005, 12:51 PM
Ritch96
Scooby Regular

PMSL, just changed the zorst over last night in preperation!!! Need to get everything sorted cause moving house in a weeks time.

I've ordered some mintex c-tech 1144 pads partly cause that is the make of discs i have and partly cause the ebc stuff seems to get a bad press on here. What with the move and everything budget is a bit tight so can't afford to be altering loadsa stuff at the mo. Will the pads suffice or would you think i should change fluid and hoses too???

Whats the best way to get insurance?

Benno - how did your tyres hold out? Did you use your normallly fitted ones or a different set of wheels and tyres?? I'd like to change mine over but its proving a bit of a logistical nightmare.

Cheers
Ritchie
Old 08 March 2005, 01:55 PM
miles25
Scooby Regular

How much wear to a car does the average track day do?? I assume at a minimum it will mean replacement tyres, new pads (discs?) and an oil change.
Old 08 March 2005, 02:34 PM
Benno
Scooby Regular

Ritchie
I think you will be OK with what you have done, you are never going to outbreak a Porsche but you should avoid too much fade. I think as a first timer you will not be breaking anywhere near as hard as the experienced guys, I know I wasn't.
In terms of tyres, I would change them over, I put my old set of 16's on and the rubber was peeling of the tyres after each session, they are now almost slicks.

Below was posted by John Felstead who is an experienced track driver from what I have read.

The following is a basic Guide only.

It is not specific to the impreza but should help with some basic does/donts of track day driving.

1) Pre-Event checks a) Make sure the car is in a well maintained condition
b) Check ALL fluid levels
c) Replace the brake fluid if not changed at service specified interval
d) Check the condition/pressure of all your tyres, Make a note of the presures
e) Check your brake pads for condition/thickness, preferably put new fast road/comp pads such as Ferrodo DS2000 pads in, front and rear
f) Remove any accesory's not securely fitted
g) Check the speed rating of your tyres, Make a note of this and never exceed it on track
h) remove any floor mats from the drivers footwell
i) remove the spare tyre if you have secure storage
j) take some basic tools with you, enough to change brake pads at least
k) take at least one axle stand for when you change the pads
l) take some rags/swarfega for cleaning your hands etc
m) Fill up with SUL even on standard spec engine, you wont get more performance, just gives the engine more protection from detination. If you run on SUL normally put 1% octain booster in for safety.
n) take a can of Red Bull, it gives you wings you know!

2) Spares etc to take a) one set of brake pads at least, front and rear
b) one 5 litre can of oil
c) some tape to cover your light lenses
d) a helmet
e) some thin soled sports shoe's, aids with brake feel

3) Pre-track checks a) recheck your tyre pressures, if one is down you may have a slow puncture which could blow when at high speed
b) increase the tyre presures by 4-6PSI higher than you run on the road
c) tape up your headlights
d) ensure you understood the driver briefing, if you are not sure about any aspect, ask for clarification. Ensure you understood the passing rules in particular!
e) drink your can of Red Bull and put on your helmet

4) First lap on every run a) Never thrash the car on the first lap, speed up gradually bringing the oil/water temperatures to normal working parameters
b) Gently bring the brake temperatures up to temperature
c) use this lap to get familiar with your new, rather alien surroundings
d) Try and give yourself space front and rear, dont be tempted to follow the car in front too closely as you will be concentrating on him/her and not learning the track
e) Get used to checking your mirror before and after each corner, you will be amazed how quickly some cars will catch you if you are a track novice.

5) Rest of laps a) Bring up the speed gradually if you are a novice, you will learn more
b) Give it Death, remember your there for fun
c) If you experience brake fade/boiling dont think it will go away before the next corner, slow down, it is very likely to be worse the next time
d) If you feel a power loss coming out of a tight bend back off, dont keep it planted, you are probably getting the first sign's of fuel surge, if you keep it planted you are risking detonation due to a week mixture. return to the pits and refuel. This can happen with half a tank of fuel on board, dont get fooled into thinking it cant be happening allready, it can.
6) Last lap in a) Do a slow last lap in
b) Try to avoid using the brakes at all to give the disks/pads some chance to cool down
c) dont stop looking in your mirror, there might be some idiot still on max attack

7) Entry to pits/stopping a) enter the pits slowly, look out for kids/speckies, it is easy to not hear you comming
b)DO NOT SWITCH OFF YOUR ENGINE
c) allow the engine to idle for at least 2 minutes, i usually give it 5 with my 350BHP
d) DO NOT PUT THE HANDBRAKE ON OR SIT WITH YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE PEDAL
e) the above is to stop the pads from being destroyed by the heat sink effect from your red hot brake disks, stop on a level surface or arange for someone to chock you wheel.
f) let everything cool before you check the following

8) Post run checks a) Check the brake pads for wear, you will be amazed how quickly they are used up, This is especially so if on the donnington GP track and not the national
b) Check ALL fluid levels, You may never use oil on the road, you are allmost guaranteed to do so on a track day run
c)Check your tyre pressures, if one has dropped you may be on the way to a blow out
d)Check the tyres for wear/cuts
e) Check you are still not wearing a silly cheesy grin