Notices

Track Days

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2003, 03:30 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I'm doing my first track day on Saturday at Oulton Park. Are there any tips to be had. Most people say warm the car up for a lap or 2 before you floor it and also cool it down. Don't do more that 8 or 9 laps at a time for disk wear/heat. Do I need to take things like Oil and Water? There's a garage nearby for the optimax.
Old 16 October 2003, 03:35 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

When you park up, leave in 1st or 2nd and do NOT put the handbrake on (make sure you turn the injun OFF first )

try to use the brakes as little as possible on your 'warm down' lap.

Keep tabs on oil & water and have some handy if need be.
Old 16 October 2003, 03:56 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And check your tyre pressures first. I found that to be very important but I forgot to do it before and cooked my tyres in 4 laps! as for starting off gently that went out of the window half way through the first lap

Let your engine cool down before turning it off and if you can find someway of holding the car in place (if the car park is flat) leave the engine running for 5 mins with handbrake off. this will cool the engine and stop your rear discs from getting warped. I did this but then remembered I have drums on the rear

Paul
Old 16 October 2003, 05:41 PM
Kane
Scooby Regular

Hi Paul,

Will try to get your vid done m8 this week. Not much really on it m8 as you drove to slow on the lap i was following you on..LOL

I should have done it without you knowing...:-)

TRACKDAY:-
Remember all the things i forgot:
1.Tape for front lights(thanks Mark)
2.Recheck Tyre pressure(thanks Mark for footpump)
3.Check all fluid levels before you leave for track while engine cold.
4.remember to take Octane boost if Import car
5.Remember to go in with a full tank if possible that way you dont have to worry about re-fueling.
6.If you have water spray take a big coke bottle as carrying water in hands can take a long to to re-fill when spray on auto.
Old 16 October 2003, 08:37 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Compshack - which trackday is it? i.e. through a club/bbs like this, or someone like track-action.com???

DW

PS nice village you're from there I live up near the White Bear Your car isnt the silver Scoob with Lexus lights is it?
Old 16 October 2003, 11:24 PM
sly fox
Scooby Regular

hiya john,

If you want advise on trackdays, give me a buzz tomorrow @ work (i work for rapid it dist) and i'll tell u everything u need to know.

Overheard you and rob talking about trackdays today!!

simon
Old 17 October 2003, 03:04 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Oulton Park is a very nice Circuit but can be very unforgiving there are many corners which, if caught wrong can can cause serious injuries to your Scoob so be carefull Remember you drove your car there so you will need to drive it home

Tyre presures(user preference) Higher pressures will reduce (44F 40R psi) wear to tyre walls but lap times will be reduced by 0.85sec's 30psi may take lap times down, but a set of tyres only three laps.

On the road if you can't get around 'X' corner at 60mph you cant get around 'X' corner at 70mph on the track. Build up to speed

Your first Trackday you'll get tired after 20mins and a STd car about the same

A fit person and used to Trackdays may last 40 mins a Fair car may ony last 30 mins and good track car 40 mins.Have a rest, chat and check the car over give both you and Car a well deserved rest and enjoy the day

Try not to run a Classic under 1/4 full or will see it running sort of full on tight right corners and possibly Blowing up

IMHO

Tony

Trending Topics

Old 17 October 2003, 11:09 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

A few of us will be there on Saturday, I will be coming over in the afternoon. You can't miss my number plate!

Si.
Old 17 October 2003, 11:38 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

And remember, the tarmac on a track us usually a lot stickier than the road. So careful once you're back on the road as there's less grip than you've been experiencing all day on the track.
Old 17 October 2003, 12:21 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

Thanks you guys. Hey Dream Weaver no my cars the Black STI 8 parked outside Jons Computer Shack on Garnett St. Yes it's a track action day. The first I could see but I'll be looking out for more Scoob's.
Thanks of that Simon, I'll give you a call later if I have time. Do you have a direct line so I don't have to talk to Rob!!!
Only joking
Old 17 October 2003, 12:24 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I will be there with TKH, Blue STi5 Type RA. Come and see me and will happily help you out. Will also do a few laps with you if you like, being something of an Oulton Park veteran these days

I would try six lap esssions at Oulton, as it's really hard on brakes. Of those six do one warm up- I usually only nail it from Shell bend on my 2nd lap) and give it a lap to cool down, taking it very easy. turn your heater on max to draw heat out of the engine during slow down laps, and make sure you stay out of the way / off the line of faster vehicles on quick laps.

You may find you can do longer sessions, if you and the car are up to it. Only you will know this. Make sure you drink plenty as you can dehydrate pretty quickly.

Let the car run for approx 5 minutes once off track. As mentioned above, don't put the handbrake on or sit with your fut on the pedal.

At best this will probably warp your disks. Take something with you to put under a wheel as w edge to stop the car rolling.

Check your pressures regularly, and your levels every time you come in.

see you tomorrow, or mail me your number if you want to chat.

simon

[Edited by RRH - 10/17/2003 12:30:48 PM]
Old 17 October 2003, 12:26 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

what about changing oil, directly before or after or both?
Si (waiting for car then bring it on!)
Old 17 October 2003, 12:29 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

Oil's just been change about 3 weeks ago but maybe after depending on how much right foot is given. I know oil (& filter) is an important thing with these cars
Old 17 October 2003, 12:31 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

I change mine after every track day, and also do my gearbox / diff fluid changes every three or so. keeps it running nice and sweet.
Old 17 October 2003, 12:44 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Compshack - will keep an eye out for you around the village then - have seen you a few times. I drive a Miami Blue 205 Mi16, so wave if you see me.

Took a black STi7 PPP (cheers Craft ) over the tops towards Gisburn the other day, what a beast

Will be hopefully doing some of these trackdays soon, once my engine is sorted and cage is in.
Old 17 October 2003, 12:51 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

That's a good road, if you don't get stuck behind someone on the none overtakable bits. Have you tried the old skipton road, or the road from Cliviger over to Blackshaw head? I bet the STI PPP put a smile on yer face!
Old 17 October 2003, 03:48 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Certainly did, made the Mi feel slow (which is a quick car).

Skipton Road is well used by me, Kebs road is good up near the Kettle Drum, Burnley.

Favourite is Snake Pass though, even though its a bit away from us.
Old 17 October 2003, 08:05 PM
sly fox
Scooby Regular

Good luck with your first trackday jon,

They become addictive!!!

sly

Old 20 October 2003, 08:37 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

compshack, was there but wasn't sure whether that was your STi blatting around with slicks on. Certainly didnt look like your first time if it was you, it was flying
Old 20 October 2003, 08:45 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

The black one with slicks belongs to a guy from Blackpool... a track vet. Regulars to Oulton may remember him from when he used to blat a Moonstone RS500 round there.

[Edited by Redkop - 10/20/2003 8:48:18 AM]