Notices

Rockingham yesterday (moved as wrong forum)

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2002, 05:07 PM
normarker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris, nice to hear from you, I thought someone had to be there. How hard was it on tyres for you, it ripped the ones on the 300ZX during its rather abreviated run. James Thorpe said its a very abrasive surface as its so new but will improve with time. He said he would get about 30miles from a set of slicks and not much more from the pads! My salary won't support that sort of wear.

[Edited by normarker - 10/5/2002 5:11:50 PM]
Old 30 September 2002, 07:53 PM
normarker
Scooby Regular

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did anyone go apart from me? I went with two mates to passenger only.There were a few scoobs, one bloke was using a UK300 to tow his Caterham, thats style for you. Plenty of other cars, mainly Caterham like things, TVRs, Noble M12s,porkers, beamers and assorted exotica and some that defied categorisation.
My mate brought his ZX300TT from Hull, first trackday so he went out first with the instructor, then with Mike, then with his brother David. I left it till last so he would have had some practise and would hopefully be faster by then. Bad move, he blew the engine before I got a chance, so I suppose he had an excuse for being even more pissed off than I was.
I'd payed my money, hired a helmet, used a tank and a half getting there and back and all I had was a few pics to show for it.
Good news bit...
Got talking to a bloke called James Thorpe who was passing everyone in a race prepp'ed Rover 220 turbo from http://www.taylors-pitstop.com/racing.asp and he offered to take me out. The first two laps were at about 50% to bed in new slicks and brakepads, then three more at ever increasing speeds up to 80% effort. I would not like to be in with him at 100%! Bloody brilliant, worth every penny, nothing went past him and given enough laps he would have lapped everyone else, and he had less than 200bhp.
He talked through all the coners, braking points, apex, aiming points, clipped the curbs and poles.
Made my day, if anyone knows him please convey my thanks.
Now, who wants a ZX300tt, needs some mechanical attention, otherwise A1 condition!
Old 03 October 2002, 12:08 AM
chris p1
Scooby Regular

I was there in my yellow Westy Cosworth,did see a couple of Scoobs a red one that kept getting in the way and not pulling over,great day did about 150 miles on track boy was it hard on brakes though.
Chris.