Coilovers or Springs

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2014, 01:48 PM
jonnyrocka
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers or Springs

Hi All,

im looking at the next upgrade for my car which is going to be suspension.

im not sure on weather to get lowering springs or Coilovers, what is everyones views?

my second question is what are the best places to buy these parts from, cheaper the better ideally

cheers all

Jon
Old 07 March 2014, 01:57 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

What car is it? Will your car be used on the track or only the road? Is it an every day car?

Personally I went with lowering springs for my every day car as coilovers can be stiffer yet.
Old 07 March 2014, 03:17 PM
wrc
Scooby Newbie

Wink

If you dont want to spend a lot of money, this is an option

https://i.imgur.com/xkO3UEY.jpg

You can how we lowered it, its all just by the front wheel haha!

Pretty bumpy now!
Old 07 March 2014, 05:36 PM
jonnyrocka
Scooby Regular

It would be an everyday car not for track use and the only benefits from coilovers I can see is that you xan adjust the height to how high or low you want and as I will be getting bigger wheels I can see this as a benefit but unsure
Old 07 March 2014, 05:36 PM
jonnyrocka
Scooby Regular

Its also a blobeye sti
Old 07 March 2014, 07:03 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

I have toyed with the idea of getting coilovers for years for my every day car, for the same reason of having the height adjustment. However, the way I look at it I will only ever get it set up once as every height adjustment should be followed with a full geometry check.

I have read a lot of threads about coilover issues requiring rebuilds too, so that's also putting me off. That said, my 06 wrx has already had 2 new rear struts due to a known Subaru fault. If they go again the price difference to full new coilovers is negligible. Also most coilovers let you dial in camber easier with adjustable top mounts.

Really need someone who has used coilovers every day on our poor roads to give us their opinion.
Old 07 March 2014, 07:45 PM
jonnyrocka
Scooby Regular

Yeah im in the same boat, my rear suspension broke about amonth ago and I replaced both rears but at time I couldn't afford coilovers so just got replacement shocks

Trending Topics

Old 09 March 2014, 09:49 PM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

I have coilovers on my type r that are Leda B's with 24 point adjustment. On the softest setting they are still a harsh ride. For everyday use they are crap and even though this is a weekend car I am fitting standard v6 suspension.

I would recommend getting a ride in a car fitted with coilovers rather than just buying them and finding they are not what you thought.
Old 09 March 2014, 09:51 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Good advice. Cheers!!!
Old 11 March 2014, 06:01 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
I have toyed with the idea of getting coilovers for years for my every day car, for the same reason of having the height adjustment. However, the way I look at it I will only ever get it set up once as every height adjustment should be followed with a full geometry check.

I have read a lot of threads about coilover issues requiring rebuilds too, so that's also putting me off. That said, my 06 wrx has already had 2 new rear struts due to a known Subaru fault. If they go again the price difference to full new coilovers is negligible. Also most coilovers let you dial in camber easier with adjustable top mounts.

Really need someone who has used coilovers every day on our poor roads to give us their opinion.

Hi there

Really depends what you want from yours car,do you want coilovers only due better camber adjustment or adjusting of damping etc.?

If yes then coilovers is good way to do this,but you must consider,with coilovers ride will or can be harsher than with shocks,this really depends on the coilovers itself

I would go probably with KYB AGX or Tokico and good springs,those combos are most used over in US,have tried Tokico only on Honda and loved them and friend running them too on his STi and he is happy with them,previously he run BC,which he hated

I would strongly recommend ask yours friends with coilovers if they can take you on the ride and then I would decide

Thanks,Jura
Old 11 March 2014, 09:37 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jura
Old 11 March 2014, 03:56 PM
MeisterR
Former Sponsor

Hi,

If you're looking for coilovers our Zeta-R are good for fast road and occasional track days with plenty of adjustments. We are also running an introductory offer with 20% off.

If you have any questions please drop us a PM.

Kind regards,

Edwin
Old 11 March 2014, 04:06 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

I was looking at your thread actually on the group buys. They do look like nice bits of kit.

I very much doubt my car will ever see a race track, will only ever be an every day road car.
Old 12 March 2014, 01:41 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

I was looking at your thread actually on the group buys. They do look like nice bits of kit.

I very much doubt my car will ever see a race track, will only ever be an every day road car.
Hi there

I would at least try them on friend car if you can,don't buy without you try them

Thanks,Jura
Old 12 March 2014, 08:35 AM
Welloilbeefhooked
Scooby Regular

I'm defo with Jura on this. My type r is an occasional use car for weekend blasts. I don't even take the Mrs or kids out in it. Bearing that in mind I am removing the coilovers I have fitted and installing Sti inverted shocks from a v6.

This is the second classic I have bought that came with coilovers on and the second time I will be removing them.
Old 12 March 2014, 09:38 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

My 06 WRX has been on Tein S Tech springs for years now and it rides great. Not too bumpy, handling great and ride height is spot on for me with current wheels. I really like it as an every day car in this setup.

I keep looking at a set of 18x8.75 XXR wheels for it and still can't make my mind up. If I get the wheels I will probably want to get coilovers so I can get the car setup just right for the wheels and stance. Don't want it impractically low as I still take the family out in it on occasion. I may get the wheels, fit them and see how it looks on springs.

Andy
Old 12 March 2014, 03:20 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

My 06 WRX has been on Tein S Tech springs for years now and it rides great. Not too bumpy, handling great and ride height is spot on for me with current wheels. I really like it as an every day car in this setup.

I keep looking at a set of 18x8.75 XXR wheels for it and still can't make my mind up. If I get the wheels I will probably want to get coilovers so I can get the car setup just right for the wheels and stance. Don't want it impractically low as I still take the family out in it on occasion. I may get the wheels, fit them and see how it looks on springs.

Andy
Hi Andy

When we are bought our coilovers we are tried them on friend EVO,there those coilovers has been awesome,no so bumpy etc,due this we are bought them,but when we are bought them,we are already run bucket seats and friend EVO run standard bucket seats(Recaro) and ride in his car has been just good

If you are running bucket seats like Sparco and other,coilovers can be very bumpy and firm like our been,but this mostly depends on spring rate and coilovers itself,usually montube are firmer than twin tube in my view and I've tried few coilovers on other cars

Best from cheaper coilovers are KW V2,which we are now running on EP3 and they are just great on the our roads,few friends running BC and they're very happy with them,just be sure you have latest rubber top mounts at rear,Racing Logic too have good review,not tried them,but from reports are good,how good,not sure

If you are going with those wheels,car will looks odd or strange on shocks and springs,you are preferably need to run coilovers with camber bolts

Just as above I would strongly suggest try coilovers and then you will need to decide there

Thanks,Jura
Old 12 March 2014, 03:31 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Hi Jura,

As you say, they can change from car to car. I have run different makes of coilovers (spax, tein, Leda) on different road and race cars i've owned in the past and they vary a lot. Also, as you say bucket seats with little padding (bum suspension) make a difference to how they feel. Personally I love the feel of a nice track focused car with coilovers & buckets, but at my tender age I am not sure I want it that solid on my every day car. As you suggest, if I decide to go down that route I may see if I can take a ride in an impreza with some fitted.

The car below has the setup I am looking at for my 06 WRX (Tein S Tech springs, XXR 8.75" 35ET, probably an arch roll.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...&postcount=193

Looks ideal to me. If mine came out like that I would be very happy indeed.