Notices

STI Pink Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2013, 07:24 PM
v6wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI Pink Suspension

I currently have STI Pink suspension with tein springs, not really fussed on them, there a bit on the hard side!! Any suggestions for something for road use and a bit more comfort?
Old 12 November 2013, 08:27 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get rid of those yucky Tein's and find a used set of P1 springs
Old 12 November 2013, 01:11 PM
v6wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
Get rid of those yucky Tein's and find a used set of P1 springs
Is that defentley the way to go? Never had p1 springs before
Old 12 November 2013, 01:25 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

If your car's a Type R then they will work very well indeed on UK roads

They lower the car by just 1" which is not into over-lowering territory (like the Teins), have good progression and the poundage is spot on for fast road stuff
Old 12 November 2013, 05:03 PM
v6wrx
Scooby Regular

Yeah it's a Type R, are the P1 springs easy to get? At the moment it's lowered 30mm and looks spot on!
Old 12 November 2013, 06:23 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Nice pics there in your gallery. I like the isolated cold air feed arrangement, what is it, and have you any more pics of it?

Your car does look as if it's sitting a little low to me - are they S-Tech springs you have fitted? I know your car looks great at that height, but handling & suspension action suffers greatly on the Impreza with small differences in height. Theere will only be 5mm difference in the height. You will get the benefit of more bump travel too, as at the moment at that height you will almost certainly be engaging the bump stops when cornering, possibly getting a crashy ride?

Last edited by bonesetter; 12 November 2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12 November 2013, 06:36 PM
v6wrx
Scooby Regular

Will post some pics of the cold feed up, feeds directly in to my custom Spec-R air box

Yeah have the S-tech springs fitted bumpy!

I'm stripping down all the suspension this month to paint the struts as the paint is all flaking, looking to have some whiteline goodies fitted. What's your recommendations? ARB, drop links, anti lift kit?? Cheers
Old 12 November 2013, 07:04 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Thanks, be interested to see that. Looks totally isolated from the rest of the bay which is always difficult unless going inner wing, but yours keeps a short feed line

You should like the improvement alot going from S-Techs to P1's. They give a lovely 'float' over crappy roads. Your in S Wales aren't you, so some of the roads are better than other parts of the UK (Midlands especially), but you still see some bad ones

The S-techs over lower the car and create negative, bad handling. How is the car at the moment apart from crashy? Does it understeer etc?

Do you have any suspension mods at the moment? Also, do you still have those Toyo's fitted (in your pic)?
Old 12 November 2013, 07:46 PM
v6wrx
Scooby Regular

Yeah from South Wales the roads are crap in my area.

The car does understeer yeah doesn't feel to good. No other suspension mods everything else is OEM.

I have eagle F1 tyres at the moment.
Old 12 November 2013, 08:02 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

The root cause of the understeer is the over-lowering. This has put the front wishbones into a bad part of the camber curve. This means under suspension compression you're losing any negative camber you have and getting positive, reducing front grip.

The other important over-lowering issue happening is weight transfer mid-corner and excessive front roll. This is because the roll centre (RC) has been drastically effected from the lowering causing MORE roll than when the car was OE height, although the car has lowered.

It may take a while to source a set of P1 springs, so you would benefit the most at the moment from stiffening rear roll resistance to hold up the front (and rear), increasing overall grip & reducing front roll & understeer

Depending on budget, and as you're planning to paint up stuff, a RC correction kit would be next, again reducing understeer. You're not going to stop the crashy ride though until you get more suspension travel and stiffer springs (the Teins are too soft), and the more grip you're going to have, the more you might encounter higher speed compressions/holes etc

If the car is more of a daily driver a 22mm adjustable rear arb would probably be enough, but my personal preference is 24 rear 22 front
Old 12 November 2013, 08:29 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bonesetter what would you say if I said "Eibach" would that spring option be something in a similar area to the P1 variant.

Incidentally I'm running type r struts and springs on my RA.

Last edited by Silver Scooby Sport; 12 November 2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12 November 2013, 08:55 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
Bonesetter what would you say if I said "Eibach" would that spring option be something in a similar area to the P1 variant.

Incidentally I'm running type r struts and springs on my RA.
Well of course the P1 spring was made by Eibach, which has got to be the best spring for a classic & UK fast road use.

But sadly the Eibach offerings around now - the likes of the Pro & Pro Kit Sport are in the same camp as the Tein's - too soft, poor progression & lower the car too much

I had them fitted on my Type R when I bought her, and also they were fitted to a Fabia VRS I bought. They produced the same crashy, bouncy ride on both cars

There was a glimmer of hope some time back when the lads on P1 forum were discussing a group buy for a new batch of P1 springs

Here's the link

Eibach need a minimum order of 200 sets (each 'set' being 4 individual springs) to go ahead. I telephoned them a coup[le of years back asking them and 'Stockcar' on P1 forum (a dealer) has been discussing the same as he deals directly with Eibach

I thought 200 sets would sell easily, to interested people (here) and the rest to dealers for stock, but although this group buy has been talked over on the P1 forum, it hasn't been mentioned here
Old 12 November 2013, 09:17 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's interesting and explains why I pick up comments about Eibachs not being so good these days, I had wondered why that was as they had always been considered a top class spring a while back and not so much now.

Alyn "stockcar" is on here as an advertiser AS Performance

That's something I have not heard about having shall I say a re manufacture of an existing design, very novel idea indeed
Old 12 November 2013, 09:27 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

I don't know why the group buy hasn't been mentioned in the section here

I would have if my membership hadn't expired
Old 06 December 2013, 02:55 PM
v6wrx
Scooby Regular

Well I have given up trying to source a set of p1 springs can't seem to find any what would be by next best option to replace the teins with?
Old 06 December 2013, 02:58 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

There is a group buy being organised very soon for Eibach to begin production again
Old 06 December 2013, 03:08 PM
v6wrx
Scooby Regular

There is a group buy being organised very soon for Eibach to begin production again
Great! Is the group buy now on the P1 forum?
Thanks
Old 07 December 2013, 11:17 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jolly good I can match them with the Bilsteins more info as you get it would be nice
Thanks