Notices

Suspension Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2013, 10:42 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi folks, I've had my 97 Turbo 2000 about 5 months now and have completed quite a large list of repairs/upgrades to various parts like brakes, engine, interior etc. I've come to the stage where the suspension in general needs looked at. The car has 102k on the clock and I'd be fairly sure most of the major components are originals. Recently under hard braking, on occasion I get a bit of a wobble in the steering. Nothing in the pedal so I'm hoping it's not the brakes. Can anyone give me a run down on which parts would be wise to upgrade? This is a road going car that only gets used at weekends so nothing too mental required
Old 24 October 2013, 07:45 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Get under the car and check all the bushes. Those are common on any car of that age.

Unless you hear a knocking I'd expect your suspension to be fine.

If you are looking at upgrades to the suspension I recommend a Whiteline rear Anti Roll Bar.
Old 24 October 2013, 08:29 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Whiteline Steering Rack bushings are a must. Cheap too.
Old 24 October 2013, 08:35 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies

There's no noise coming from anything so I guess most of its good enough. I was thinking maybe bottom ball joints, some bushes and anti roll bars. Are the alloy drop links worth while?

I also seen another post about anti lift kits, what exactly is it?
Old 24 October 2013, 08:46 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

yup, ball joints are certainly something to look into as it might explain the wobble in your steering. Lots of bushes throughout the suspension. Superpro or Whiteline are your best bet if you want to go poly. If you prefer rubber then go with STi Group N bushings.

The Anti Lift Kit is a replacement bushing and mount for the rear bushing on the front wishbone. Whiteline pioneered this special bushing. It adds a bit of positive caster (very good for the GC chassis), a stiffer bushing, as well as alter the "anti" geometry in the front suspension.
Old 24 October 2013, 08:50 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Thanks again. So, the anti lift kit is a decent thing to add then. I think firstly I'll replace the ball joints if they're knackered. Might just do them anyway. Are there any particular manufacturers of ball joint to go for?

Any opinions on drop links?
Old 25 October 2013, 11:06 AM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

yeah, an ALK or just the caster bushing is a good thing. The Impreza really benefits from more positive caster. If you are replacing your ball joints you might want to look into a performance alternative, i.e. Roll Center Correction Kits from either Super Pro or Whiteline(these are ball joint and tie rod replacement kits). Since you are in there anyway, might as well get a geometric performance upgrade too.

drop links also improve the transient response of the car "activating" the anti roll bar sooner because the stock drop links have a lot of play in them, especially on older cars. Both SP and WL have the best designed versions out there.

Last edited by Arnie_1; 25 October 2013 at 11:09 AM.