Notices

Advice on rear anti rollbar for tarmac rally use

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2013, 11:58 AM
RallyWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on rear anti rollbar for tarmac rally use

Got the rear suspension coming together on my bugeye WRX and now looking to fit a decent rear anti roll bar for tarmac rally use on the rear.

I'm thinking 24mm Whiteline but notice Perrin do a 25mm. Not too fussed on the blade mounting holes as I'm using adjustable droplinks (whiteline 2 holes, perrin 3 holes).

Any recommendations before I chuck my money at it please?

Also aware that I need to upgrade the ARB mounting brackets and going Whiteline for these.

Thanks
Nige
Old 23 October 2013, 05:24 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What front arb are you thinking of running?

Also depends a lot on other suspension choice, eg spring/damper or coilover/spring rates, plus tyres...
Old 24 October 2013, 11:47 AM
RallyWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
What front arb are you thinking of running?

Also depends a lot on other suspension choice, eg spring/damper or coilover/spring rates, plus tyres...
Looking at other resources it seems the prefered setup is 22mm front and 24mm rear (middle setting).

I'm running adjustable droplinks so can dial in what I need really and imagine the 24mm is a good starting point.

With that in mind, I've ordered the rear as a 24mm whiteline (done before your response) based on what others are saying, although they seem to be more fast road setup to reduce understeer ... I was hoping someone could have advised if the setup is largely different for rally use.

Nige
Old 24 October 2013, 08:09 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

In regards to you comments about the adjustable drop links, I don't think you understand the purpose of drop link adjustability is. It's not to adjust roll stiffness, that is what the blade holes are for. Rather, its to remove any preload/tension the bar puts on the suspension. It's used when cornerweighting the car. In addition, on the bug eye the rear drop links are not adjustable, they are C-shaped in form.

As far as use for tarmac rallye is concerned, on the whole, the basic setup is not going to be too far off from a fast road setup, albeit a bit stiffer overall due to the semi-slicks you're most likely running. But as Bonesetter says, the ideal recommendation will be determined on what spring/damper setup you are running, what sort of geometry you are running and the type of roads. Depending on your spring/damper I'd recommend anything from OEM 20mm bar to the 24mm adjustable.
Old 24 October 2013, 09:12 PM
RallyWRX
Scooby Regular

The 24mm is a starting point and at least I have the option to adjust it on the blades along with the rest of the suspension setup. It will be an interesting time but I'm up for the learning experience. Thanks for explaining the drop links Arnie.

Nige
Old 24 October 2013, 10:06 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

You'll get very aggressive rotation with the 24mm, with lots of lift off oversteer if you wish. The setting will depend on how loose you want the rear end. You can balance that with rear camber settings too. One disadvantage with the large rear bar is you lose a bit of suspension articulation compared with the 20 mm OEM bar. And depending on how much droop travel your dampers have you may encounter some inside tyre lift on tight junctions where the ensuing road is higher or lower.