Notices

Blobeye, BC BR Coilvers, hate them!! Options?

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2013, 09:19 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blobeye, BC BR Coilvers, hate them!! Options?

Hi guys

The more I drive my 2003 Blobeye, the more problems I find with it and the more I wish I had never bought the thing . I swear the only person I should buy cars from is me.....

Anyway, this thing came with BC BR Coilovers and was slammed "BECAUSE RACE CAR" stylee. Had the suspension raised immediately and am running them on 6 at the back and 8 at the front.

The entire car still rattles itself to death and on some of the country roads it just feels like it is shaking itself apart.

I hate them and they need to die but I could do with advice on NORMAL, non-flaming coilover stuff as it just isn't for me on this car.

I am thinking just some decent normal shocks with Eibach springs perhaps. I used to have adjustable KYB shocks on the classic but am not sure if they are readily available for these.

I really don't want to sink another penny in to this rattly money pit but feel I have to

Thanks,

Nick.
Old 12 August 2013, 09:27 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get different spring rates.
give bren at apex a call for advice
Old 12 August 2013, 09:28 AM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

I am pretty sure you will get what you are after. A few years back I fitted kyb adjustables with Eibach springs. Firm but not too hard. Are these what you are after?

http://shop.scoobyclinic.com/index.p...ry&path=63_163
Old 12 August 2013, 09:30 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
You can get different spring rates.
give bren at apex a call for advice
Thanks, I came across that but I just don't want to take the gamble with them. They are cheap coilovers and I am not sure throwing more money at them is worth it.

I will keep it in mind.
Old 12 August 2013, 12:44 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Get some kyb replacement dampers and eibach springs. Should come to circa £500.
This is what I'm running on my classic, I know others are too. Really pleased with the way they drive. Ride quality is also equally as good.

Joe
Old 12 August 2013, 12:48 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Reckon you will get £400 for the BCs, so should go some way towards the replacements...
Old 12 August 2013, 01:01 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

They rattle you to death on such low settings? Sounds like the spring ratings are too high.
Old 12 August 2013, 01:03 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo69
They rattle you to death on such low settings? Sounds like the spring ratings are too high.
Yup the issue i had swapped the springs and the ride is better than the original sti shocks
Old 12 August 2013, 01:16 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. Ok Tubbs, any idea what weight springs you swapped to?
Old 12 August 2013, 01:18 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Mr Footlong
Thanks guys. Ok Tubbs, any idea what weight springs you swapped to?
That i cant tell you as ive forgotten.
there is a number written in white on the spring.
find out what it is and post it up.
As said ask bren from apex
Old 12 August 2013, 06:27 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

To start with this isn't a BC Racing issue. This is a personal preference clash. The previous owner specced a firm kit, you don't like it. That's not a BC Racing fault, we supplied what was requested, not what we supply as default and recommend for the vast majority of customers.

The issues you've got has nothing to do with the car running coilovers, BC Racing or otherwise, and has absolutely everything to do with the customer getting exactly what was originally requested. The idea that coilovers automatically equal a poor ride is incorrect, there is no truth to it.

KYB AGX with Eibachs will give, if anything, a firmer ride than 5/4kg.mm BCs on a New Age. Arguably Eibachs on standard dampers will give a poorer quality ride than decent specced coilovers.

The BC Racing kits have ride height that's adjustable via the bottom mount so, bar alignment effects which Im not getting into, the ride height is completely irrelevant to ride quality and will have no effect. Assuming it is done correctly, more of which below.

8/6kg.mm is not a default kit. The normal kit runs 5/4kg.mm or 6/5kgm. If its on 8/6kg.mm then at the very least the springs have been changed from default. Its very possible than the damping way also requested to be track orientated.

If the kit has had a damper swap from the norm along with springs then the dampers will not only run different valving but will be different lengths so the car can still run the same minimum ride height (stiffer springs equal less static sag so raise the ride height) and shorter stroke.

If the ride is that hard then either the dampers are stiffer than normal or the kit has been set up incorrectly. If the cars running incorrect preload and it was dropped on the floor via the spring platform then the dampers could well be sat on, or repeatedly hitting, the bump stops leading to an extremely harsh ride. A tool is only as good as the person operating it, its very easy to destroy the ride quality and handling of a vehicle by fitting and/or adjusting coilovers incorrectly.

First step is to make sure the car is set up properly, then to try a pair of 5kg.mm rear springs with the rear 6s moved to the front. That's assuming the cars running non OEM style rear top mounts, if its on OEM style rear top mounts then youll need to buy a pair of new 5kg.mm rear springs and 6kg.mm front spring. There is a risk that the dampers wont have sufficient travel to cope with the softer 6/5kg.mm springs if the kit was completely specced for more track orientated use but if you get us the full name and ideally address of the person who bought them plus purchase date (very important) then if the kit came from us we can check. Or, ideally, the serial number off the white warranty card supplied with the kit, that will tell us every detail of the product.
Old 12 August 2013, 07:09 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Bloomin' eck, that's one big *** reply! Just in the middle of dying coming off a treadmill so will read it fully later thanks Bren but just for clarification, the 6/8 I am referring to are the dampening settings, no idea on what springs are on there.
Old 12 August 2013, 07:43 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

It would be interesting to know how many people have fitted coilovers (any, not just BC) and then gone back to OE or similar units.
I fitted Tein 'Super Streets' back in June and despite much adjustment and experiment have concluded that for me on my car they are not suitable for our dreadful roads.
In fairness to the Teins they are great on smooth roads but where are I live these are almost non existent. At pace down a typical local B road the car crashes and bangs alarmingly and is far slower A to B than it ever was with the OE units, despite the usual OE clonks from the rear end.
So I'm refitting the OE units with modified rears (grease nipples and grease packed) and probably some sort of lowering springs. There's my option!
Old 12 August 2013, 07:45 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

ive had teins and as you say they were far too hard on the road so changed them to bcs which I find better than the oem shocks.
emma has eibach ones and these are also very good.
but you are after all fitting performance suspension so its not exactly going to give a rolls Royce type ride.
Old 12 August 2013, 08:08 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mr Footlong
Bloomin' eck, that's one big *** reply! Just in the middle of dying coming off a treadmill so will read it fully later thanks Bren but just for clarification, the 6/8 I am referring to are the dampening settings, no idea on what springs are on there.
If the spring rates are normal, and chances are they are as the vast majority of kits are off the shelf, then Id put money on a set up issue and if the car was running really low then Id look straight to the car being lowered via spring platform rather than bottom mount leading to constant bottoming out. This would also explain the rattling you're getting as the spring will be free to move around as there is nothing holding it in position.
Old 12 August 2013, 08:15 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

ive just bought some bc'c off cannon fodder and im sure he said the spring rate was a road spring,summat like 5/6 i think he said,i will let you know how i get on with them
Old 12 August 2013, 08:52 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

I finally made the move to coilovers after years of assuming I'd be left with a crap and crashy ride. As it happens, the only coilovers I'd ever tried were cheap or incorrectly setup.

I went with BC Racing ER's, a bit more expense than the entry level ones but straight away my ride quality is improved from stock. Mine has got the "middle of the road" spring choice for the ERs which I believe is 10/8.
Old 12 August 2013, 09:03 PM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fonzey
I finally made the move to coilovers after years of assuming I'd be left with a crap and crashy ride. As it happens, the only coilovers I'd ever tried were cheap or incorrectly setup.

I went with BC Racing ER's, a bit more expense than the entry level ones but straight away my ride quality is improved from stock. Mine has got the "middle of the road" spring choice for the ERs which I believe is 10/8.
Good detailed review of these units:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-suspe...ve-review.html
Old 12 August 2013, 09:05 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sprigeteer
Good detailed review of these units:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-suspe...ve-review.html
Yep that review was very much part of my buying process. The design has been revised since that review too.
Old 13 August 2013, 01:29 PM
RB5 Boyo
Scooby Regular

I have BC's on my 05 sti widetrack and i rate them better than the AST's i have in my classic RB5 which where more than double the price of the BC's!!

The BC's on the 05 blob have the 'middle of the road spring rate' and tbh i dont think i would ever go back to normal suspension on either of the cars....my blob is fairly low also and i live on a bumpy back road and i have no issues at all, in fact i would challenge anyone to differentiate between the stock sti suspension and the BC's, thats how good they are!!

The only problem i had with the BC's were the faulty rear top mounts which Bren replaced totally free of charge

Get a set of softer rate springs in the car before you do anything and see what you think of it then before throwing a whole load more money at it replacing a setup you already have which you will find hard to beat

Kevin
Old 23 September 2013, 10:39 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Sory for the delay. The springs are rusted, any paint/coating on them is long gone so no way of telling the weight of them.

I have only just got the car back for any period of time so I will see how it goes for a while before gambling on springs. I am still extremely tempted by a more OE setup but lowered. Vee shall see....

Thanks guys.
Old 25 September 2013, 10:59 PM
blackpoolrock
Scooby Regular

I hated my bc coil overs, they are mass produced, cheap, poor suspension that I think has a huge mark up !

I was at cheveron Motorsport the other day and a rep was in from a suspension company giving them a new fast road set up, not a coil over, for testing. Looked a great bit if kit. Give cheveron a call anyway as they really are the suspension gods