Notices

Suspension confusion???

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2013, 02:05 PM
pppatrick
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension confusion???

I need some help working out which suspension parts I need.

I’ve had the much discussed rear shock knock for a number of years and have had the feeling ever since I got the car that the ride height (particularly at the front) is rather high. My local Subaru garage quoted £1100 simply to replace the rear shocks which is absurd it seems. I use the car with my two kids in the back and often full of luggage and having not tuned the suspension of a car since my first mini 15 years ago I’m cautious not to end up with a harsh ride (the mini looked great but speed humps were a 2mph affair).

I did some hunting for a localish tuners (I’m in West London) and ended up calling FB tuning and asking his advice. He recommended KYB OEM rear shock (leaving the fronts) and a set of Eibach progressive springs all round. Posts in this forum seemed to back up the plan as sensible. Richard also mentioned Camskill. I’ve subsequently received parts from them but believe they are highly likely to be wrong and they don’t seem to know what to send me…

I’ve done loads of searching about but can’t really work out what will fit. Camskill sent over different springs to the ones I initially ordered just to confuse things and now its all a bit of a mess. FB tuning seems to be out of reach at the mo so I was hoping one of you guys might have the encyclopaedic knowledge or experience to sort me out.

The car is a 05 Plate blobeye WRX PPP wagon (with red callipers if that helps). I gather that means it has inverted shocks?

I currently have the following in my sitting room;

KYB 334302 rear shock absorber and KYB 334303 rear shock absorber

Eibach pro-kit spring set- E10-77-002-03-22

I actually ordered E10-77-002-04-22 spring set and received the above in error but I’m now being told by Camskill that they think I need the E10-77-002-06-22??

Sorry for the long winded post and thanks in advance if you can help.

Patrick
Old 29 July 2013, 02:33 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Patrick

This Eibach pro-kit spring set- E10-77-002-03-22 is for GDA/GGA 01-02 which is bugeye,but should fit yours without the problem,just due difference between the Bugeye and Blobeye is only cosmetic,shocks or springs from Blobeye will fit from Bugeye or shocks/springs from Bugeye will fit Blobeye(although STI 05 onwards using different PCD 5X114.3)

Hope this helps

Jura
Old 29 July 2013, 08:22 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

They use different rear top mounts? So rear springs are slightly different. 03 onwards springs should have narrower top coil on rear
Old 29 July 2013, 05:08 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

Bug and blob as mentioned have differrent rear top hats so springs aren't interchangeable, apart from on the fronts.
Old 29 July 2013, 11:01 PM
pppatrick
Scooby Newbie

Spoke to Rich at FB tuning and he is looking at the situation. As I understand it, from 05 the wrx got inverted struts which are the cause of the common knock failure (STI got them earlier I believe). The plan will involve using normally reverted pre 05 style wrx shocks from KYB and springs to fit that style. Top mounts will be needed but salvaged from an old impreza suspension (which hopefully I can easily and cheaply find).

Time will tell but have every confidence in Rich and a very good old post I found shed a great deal of light on this annoying situation here

We shall see...
Old 11 August 2013, 10:29 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

From what I have read on here you cannot go wrong with Rich. It would be worth pricing up with Rich for them fitted and a full geometry setup.
Old 17 March 2014, 11:14 AM
pppatrick
Scooby Newbie

Default Work done and very happy

I have had my suspension changed (reverted rear shocks) by Rich at FB and I'm very happy with the results. Exactly as I had hoped, a slightly firmer ride but no degradation in ride quality. Must flatter handling through corners. The ride height is much improved and I'm very happy to have lost to high front look. Adjustable camber bolts all round and a proper setup have completely changed how the wheels sit in the arches.

Aesthetically and most importantly functionally and big improvement.

Thanks for your help and a big thumbs up for Rich.

p
Old 17 March 2014, 02:08 PM
matty094
Scooby Regular

I had the dreaded rear knocking suspension on my bug sti , I put kyb ultra sr shocks in and it did cure a bit of the knocking , I'm convinced it's something to do with the coil springs moving