Notices

Going to change springs, what else should I renew at same time ?

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2013, 08:06 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Going to change springs, what else should I renew at same time ?

Hey guys, I have finally got fed up with the motorway bounce from the stock suspension on my 2005 WRX. After looking for info and advice on the net for hours I have decided to change the stock springs for the Eibach Pro-Kit as it seems the WRX Prodrive springs are no longer available.

Im going to be doing the job myself and dont expect to complete the job in one go, although I will arm myself with guides and hope for the best.

I am taking a kinda educated guess at changing the springs as I think it will either fully cure or improve the current ride quality, plus it will make the car look better. Until the job is complete I wont know if it has cured the bouncy ride.

So, when I take each strut out one at a time, what else should I renew alongside the springs before reassembling and putting it back on the car?

Cheers guys.
Old 26 June 2013, 11:18 AM
Codders
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As you're gonna have to dismantle the struts, springs etc, I would defo replace the top mounts as well.
Old 27 June 2013, 08:19 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to be a bringer of bad news, but I don't think you'll stop bounce with Eibach's. They're known for it I'm afraid
Old 27 June 2013, 08:31 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

I think eibach made the springs for prodrive.SJ.
Old 27 June 2013, 09:00 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stonejedi
I think eibach made the springs for prodrive.SJ.
Yes, that is correct
Old 27 June 2013, 08:28 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bonesetter
Sorry to be a bringer of bad news, but I don't think you'll stop bounce with Eibach's. They're known for it I'm afraid
Do you mean the Eibach springs are known for bounce or the WRX 2005 is known for bounce regardless if I change the springs?

Id heard that changing the springs cures the bounce as they are a lower, stiffer spring. Is the bounce not caused by uncontrolled flex/bounce in the OEM springs? Eg, the shocks are ok but the springs are too flexible.
Old 28 June 2013, 11:20 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by scoober101
Do you mean the Eibach springs are known for bounce or the WRX 2005 is known for bounce regardless if I change the springs?

Id heard that changing the springs cures the bounce as they are a lower, stiffer spring. Is the bounce not caused by uncontrolled flex/bounce in the OEM springs? Eg, the shocks are ok but the springs are too flexible.
I combined Eibach and the Red STi shocks on my WRX wagon and found them to be brilliant. Replacing them on my drive was not a problem but the saloon top mount nuts are a little awkward to get at.

Make sure your current shocks are in good order. The bump stops may be getting a bit long in the tooth as will the gaiters (if they have any fitted), camber bolts and as already mentioned the top mounts. While your at it you will be surprised how much crud and dirt collect in the recesses around the tops of the shocks.

They are a few guides in the archives I am sure.

Good luck.