Notices

Bc's vs prodrive springs

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2013, 09:35 AM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bc's vs prodrive springs

Hey guys, I'm not on the lookout to replace my suspension as after 48k miles my rear shock is starting to knock,

I currently have prodrive eibach springs fitted to the car at the moment and find them excellent, the question I have which I couldn't find is how do the bc's compare if anybody has swapped? The ride now of fairly firm and flat round corners, am I going to end up with a less stiff ride and make it worse than it is now?

What springs rates are recommended for fast road and 3-4 track days a year?

I fitted a set of avo coilovers to my 206 gti 180 and yes they were good the only downside I had it slightly low and on hard cornering the wheel would hit the arches anybody had this with the bc's?

Many thanks Dan
Old 12 May 2013, 04:05 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BCs will be harder and firmer than the prodrive springs, for road use probably making for a less desirable ride but better ofc for track and roads in first world countries

Considered refurbing your shocks with a grease nipple mod?
Old 12 May 2013, 04:08 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Fonzey
BCs will be harder and firmer than the prodrive springs, for road use probably making for a less desirable ride but better ofc for track and roads in first world countries

incorrect, firstly you can specify the rate of spings on purchase and the bcs are adjustable so on the road run them on a soft setting and the feel better than prodrive springs.

I found my bcs ride far better than my sti shocks and prodrive spring set up ever did.

no rubbing will occur, also get the geometry set up after fitting

Last edited by tubbytommy; 12 May 2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12 May 2013, 04:25 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fonzey

Cheers mate i have considered the grease nipple mod as its free easy mod to do, but i feel its easier to just replace the whole lot and be done with it
Old 12 May 2013, 04:28 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
incorrect, firstly you can specify the rate of spings on purchase and the bcs are adjustable so on the road run them on a soft setting and the feel better than prodrive springs.

I found my bcs ride far better than my sti shocks and prodrive spring set up ever did.

no rubbing will occur, also get the geometry set up after fitting

Thanks tubby, appreciate that, what spring rates did you opt for?
im going to fit them myself then drive up to scoobyworld and get a fast road set up done aswell as getting a downpipe de cat fitted there
Old 12 May 2013, 04:28 PM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan-
Hey guys, I'm not on the lookout to replace my suspension as after 48k miles my rear shock is starting to knock,

I currently have prodrive eibach springs fitted to the car at the moment and find them excellent, the question I have which I couldn't find is how do the bc's compare if anybody has swapped? The ride now of fairly firm and flat round corners, am I going to end up with a less stiff ride and make it worse than it is now?

What springs rates are recommended for fast road and 3-4 track days a year?

I fitted a set of avo coilovers to my 206 gti 180 and yes they were good the only downside I had it slightly low and on hard cornering the wheel would hit the arches anybody had this with the bc's?

Many thanks Dan
exactly same boat im in. I too have standard shocks with prodrive springs the rear to has started knocking. .. im thinking of bcs but worried as my car is a daily drive and want a decent ride still
Old 12 May 2013, 04:29 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

BCs FTW
Old 12 May 2013, 04:30 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Dan-
Thanks tubby, appreciate that, what spring rates did you opt for?
im going to fit them myself then drive up to scoobyworld and get a fast road set up done aswell as getting a downpipe de cat fitted there
I forget what I had now, just speak to whoever you buy them from and ask their advice.
Old 13 May 2013, 12:24 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I always favour the fixed perched option of a damper & spring for fast road use, at the price point we are talking about - much more synergistic feel to the chassis.
Old 13 May 2013, 12:44 PM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

Normally rate a good set of springs and dampers over coilovers, I fitted a set of Bisteins shocks and eibach springs to my corsa 1.8 Sri a few months ago and founds them awful the ride was less stuff than standard springs and just don't have any confidence in them!

Did you fit an bump steer kit tubby when you had yours fitted?

Dan
Old 13 May 2013, 12:49 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say the Eibachs were the weak link there.

I have Bilsteins on a Fabia VRS and on my Type R Impreza and find them brilliant.

I had Eibachs on the Fabia when purchased, and they made for a bouncy/crashy ride, also were fitted on the Type R when I bought her - terrible on that car (std WRX dampers)
Old 13 May 2013, 01:13 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I'm currently debating on removing my coilovers due to the roads I drive and where I live, I hate the crash bang thud, may be different for some people where they live and the roads they drive but for me I can't stand it, plus ask yourself how often your going to really use the coilovers, as to get full use of them you will be having different setups for different driving styles, which in turn requires a geo setup each and every time you change spec which soon adds up, for me they have been on the car since purchase and I have only altered the damper settings to the softest setting, they are not horrendous by any means but given a decent pothole or submerged drain etc they give off hell of a bang which is felt right through the car, and I personally hate it it truly does make me cringe.

If the roads were not as bad as they are by me then I would probably keep them, also if I done alot of track days etc then again I would reconsider, but for everyday use where I live not a chance I've never bought a set before for any of my other cars for the above reasons, this is the first car I have owned ( well second, both sets been on newage sti imprezas I have bought ) that has had them on and I can see why I never bothered is my honest answer, both cars had them on, the first was a set of race logics on my uk Sti, I found these harsher than the bc's I currently run on my jdm blob, perhaps they have different spring ratings, I'm not sure what set of race logics was on the uk car, and again I'm not sure what set I have on my jdm ( will have to check paperwork ) I have heard that there is a softer spring rate for the bc's which I was considering, but I don't want to shell out on something that may not still be to my liking, and I've also got a knock from the n/s/r shock, I think its down to adjustment or the top mount, I don't think its the shocker but I could be wrong, anybody else had this? I've got the fixed non adjustable tops on the rears if that makes a difference?

Last edited by Infected by sti; 13 May 2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 13 May 2013, 01:17 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
I'm currently debating on removing my coilovers due to the roads I drive and where I live, I hate the crash bang thud, may be different for some people where they live and the roads they drive but for me I can't stand it, plus ask yourself how often your going to really use the coilovers, as to get full use of them you will be having different setups for different driving styles, which in turn requires a geo setup each and every time you change spec which soon adds up, for me they have been on the car since purchase and I have only altered the damper settings to the softest setting, they are not horrendous by any means but given a decent pothole or submerged drain etc they give off hell of a bang which is felt right through the car, and I personally hate it it truly does make me cringe.

If the roads were not as bad as they are by me then I would probably keep them, also if I done alot of track days etc then again I would reconsider, but for everyday use where I live not a chance I've never bought a set before for any of my other cars for the above reasons, this is the first car I have owned ( well second, both sets been on newage sti imprezas I have bought ) that has had them on and I can see why I never bothered is my honest answer, both cars had them on, the first was a set of race logics on my uk Sti, I found these harsher than the bc's I currently run on my jdm blob, perhaps they have different spring ratings, I'm not sure what set of race logics was on the uk car, and again I'm not sure what set I have on my jdm ( will have to check paperwork ) I have heard that there is a softer spring rate for the bc's which I was considering, but I don't want to shell out on something that may not still be to my liking, and I've also got a knock from the n/s/r shock, I think its down to adjustment or the top mount, I don't think its the shocker but I could be wrong, anybody else had this? I've got the fixed non adjustable tops on the rears if that makes a difference?

have you got the rubber top mount on the rear?? they bought this out to stop the knocking noise.
Old 13 May 2013, 01:34 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Honest answer is I'm totally unsure bud, Im gonna have to go through the receipts today and possibly snap a pic of what I got and come back with more info, my plan is to send it down to the guys at 3 arches to have checked out, as I ain't got a clue when it comes to setting these things up lol, and I know they need to be bang on, perhaps it needs slight adjusting, I think before I make any rash decisions ill take it down for them to investigate, if there is an option of a softer spring and maybe a different top mount setup that will instantly prove a better ride then i shall be all for it, as I say the little bumps aint to much bother, its he drains and pot holes by me, some of the holes I dare say could possibly do some significant damage to a car if you didn't notice it so having the coilovers I suppose just multiplies the noise, the knock from the back tho is like a metal to metal bang which makes me think its not the shocker as its not a bottoming out noise, the only way to describe it is if you was to hold a chisel to a chunk of metal and whack it with a hammer, that dead noise and sort of thud is what I'm experiencing, its as if its travelling up he shocker and banging about on the top mount somewhere, it sounds as if its in the car which is why I'm guessing its not the shock if that makes sense, but I could be totally knocking on the wrong door ( excuse the pun ), as I say I've never really played about with coilovers, but it does not sound like the dead shock knock you normally get with the oe shocks, its way more unpleasant
Old 13 May 2013, 01:36 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

I had a bang when mine were fitted, it was due to preload being incorrect.
take them to someone who knows and get them set up.
Old 13 May 2013, 08:28 PM
ade_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

I have just had prodrive springs and kyb ultra on my blob this week. Really impressed. I had BCs on my classic and have to say they are less harsh than the BC setup but slightly more roll. Think prodrive springs and ultra sr are they way forward on a pre widetrack. Think updated roll bars would make the whole think awesome on the road. Think the BCs are doing to well on the wide track cars because the kybs are not available and only the standard shocks at around 260 each are only option. BCs are ace for money but don't think long term they the way forward on uk roads. However time will tell if the knock comes back on the rear!