Not the usual rear shocks question

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2013, 02:13 AM
Nic1911
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not the usual rear shocks question

Alright everyone need some help please.

I have a widetrack blob sti and been told by my mechanic that the rear shocks and top mounts are shot.

Firstly I have been led to believe the KYB SR shocks are the standard you would get from Subaru but as you get them from elsewhere they can't be called OE. Is this correct?
If this is true then I was wondering if anyone knows of a aftermarket OE type replacement shock?

As for the top mounts I dont know if I should buy OE or not. So far found OE for £165 a pair or Group N £285 a pair, or is it possible to get aftermarket ones?

Any help appreciated

Cheers
Nick
Old 07 February 2013, 07:52 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Nick

KYB are OK and for money they're good,different story will be if you want to go different route on front and at this stage I would go with KYB AGX or Tokico,Koni Sport Yellow and few others

About the Top mounts,depends on more factors again,but Group N they're OK,if you want have some adjustment you can go route with Camber plates(few makers making them,but they're usually cots as Group N)

Jura
Old 07 February 2013, 01:26 PM
Nic1911
Scooby Regular

When i have looked at koni it didnt appear that they did them for my car, I quite liked the idea of the Koni's adjustable damping though.
I dont really want to change the suspension too much I just dont want to buy shocks that fail like the OE ones do although that said I have been toying with the idea of an equivilant setup like the prodrive suspension upgrade. Do you what that consists of, is just springs?

Top mount wise again dont want them to fail like the OE ones but then again my car is a daily driver with a dew track days done so not sure what is best as I dont want the suspension to be rock solid.
Old 07 February 2013, 06:13 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Those Koni Yellow they're not OE replacement,they're upgrade for yours existing.
Those Koni and many others are rebuildable at future

Yes Prodrive setup is great,they're using usually Bilstein shocks

Top mounts depends on what you would like,if you want some adjustment,would go with those which offer camber adjustments,if you are want just OE,yes Group N willbe good upgrade over OE

Jura
Old 08 February 2013, 01:46 AM
Nic1911
Scooby Regular

Been on Koni website they don't seem to do shocks for the STI likewise Tokico and asfor KYB the apparently only do the SR model for it not the AGX adjustables.

Do you know where i can get the prodrive springs from?
Old 08 February 2013, 01:17 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nic1911
Been on Koni website they don't seem to do shocks for the STI likewise Tokico and asfor KYB the apparently only do the SR model for it not the AGX adjustables.

Do you know where i can get the prodrive springs from?
Hi there

Yours is widetrack and you have 5x114.3

Rear shocks are no different from 5X100,only front are different on 5x114.3,which means you can use at rear any shocks,just at front is different story,I'm afraid

About the Prodrive springs,have look on Eibach springs or Pro-R springs(they're using Eibach what I know),they're are mostly used and people have with them good experience

Jura