Notices

Handling Upgrades for Hawkeye STi?

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2012, 11:15 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Handling Upgrades for Hawkeye STi?

I'm interested to know what else I can do with my Hawk STi, handling wise. It's currently running on standard STi shocks and Prodrive springs. Everything else is standard.

Are there any upgrades worth doing? It's a daily driver/fast road car. Is it worth adding a pair of strut braces, for instance? I do quite like the way it handles as standard so just a little bit of tightening up and a tiny bit more precision would be a bonus.
Old 14 September 2012, 11:42 AM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the best things you could do is change the Anti roll bars front and rear for stiffer whitelines ones. Also an anti lift kit might be worth a look. Scoobyworld offer a package deal on that if I remember rightly?

Going further than that your looking at either stiffer lowering springs on your shocks or new coilovers all round.

I'd go for the first option, your notice a massive improvement just changing the ARBS.
Old 14 September 2012, 11:46 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Is it actually worthwhile? I thought the STi ones were already stiffer?

What exactly is an anti lift kit? I think I could be keen to go down the ARB and strut brace route potentially.
Old 14 September 2012, 12:13 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

The STI ones are stiffer than the wrx ones I believe but you can go even stiffer with a whitelines kit. This link should explain how it works better than I can...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?p=8384387
Old 14 September 2012, 12:22 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Nice one, cheers.

I saw something about STi lateral links and trailing arms on this thread:
https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...track-car.html

Should I have those already on my Spec-D?
Old 14 September 2012, 12:37 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Not sure bud, stretching my knowledge a bit now. There are a few lads on here with spec-D's. Have a look in the gallery, there might be a spec-D thread in there. Failing that give one of the tuners a call they should be able to help, Scooby clinic, RCM, Alan Jefferys...
Old 14 September 2012, 01:15 PM
Sheepy Sean
Scooby Regular

I havent got STI pink trailing / lateral arms on my current Spec D - nor did I on the previous one.

My Spec D is currently running STI pink springs with Type RA dampers, also:
Whiteline 22mm front anti roll bar
Whiteline 24mm rear anti roll bar
Whiteline Anti-lift kit
CDF droplinks all round
Whiteline rear diff bushings

I'm very happy with the current setup - dont plan to change anything.

My previous Spec D was standard however at first the second one never felt as good as the first. I put it down to tyres with the previous one running Bridgestone RE050-As and the current one running Pirelli P-zero Nero on the front and Falkern FK-452 on the rear. Was not impressed at all with them so am now running the RE050-As again and much happier.

Trending Topics

Old 15 September 2012, 11:59 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Ah so will those pink lateral/trailing arms fit and what effect would they have? Are they worthwhile?

Also, are you running any kind of strut or chassis bracing?

Last edited by Jay Cartay; 15 September 2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 15 September 2012, 04:58 PM
Sheepy Sean
Scooby Regular

As far as I know as long as they state they are the correct fitment for the Spec D chassis (ie hawkeye STI) then yes they should fit. They are standard items on the Type RA-R. Not sure how much benefit they are over the standard items, maybe someone else with more experience can advise.

I have no strut or chassis bracing as for the cost I didnt feel there would be much benefit at least not at first. A lot of people have stated the hawkeye body and chassis is pretty rigid already. If you are cornering hard enough to make the strut tops flex then the body is under a tremendous amount of roll at that point so uprating the anti roll bars would be the first logical step then if you still feel there is flex that would be the time to look at strut braces - preferably something that will actually be up to the task like the Summit Racing bars rather than something flimsy thats really just there for show.

Something else to note with strut bars is they will transfer a degree of shock loading from one side to the other so be prepared for that, you may end up with a very crashy car for instance if you hit a bump with the right wheel that sudden shock will be felt at both sides of the car thanks to the strut brace so in effect the impact would feel worse than it actually is.
Old 15 September 2012, 05:17 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do it right or leave it alone No point in buying lots of cheap braces, do what you can afford over time Always have a goal as handling is an overall strategy and not a one size fits all mod.

This is mine, next step was coilovers but decided to sell up and invest in my other scoobs instead

https://www.scoobynet.com/garage/200...eza-13-53.html

Old 15 September 2012, 05:29 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Looking here there seems to be a multitude of different ARBs, so which would I be looking for?

http://www.shop.indigo-gt.co.uk/inde...=23_42_642_676

Also there are rear ARB link conv kits, what are they?

And the anti lift kits, are they purely for the front?
Old 15 September 2012, 05:38 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
Do it right or leave it alone No point in buying lots of cheap braces, do what you can afford over time Always have a goal as handling is an overall strategy and not a one size fits all mod.

This is mine, next step was coilovers but decided to sell up and invest in my other scoobs instead

https://www.scoobynet.com/garage/200...eza-13-53.html

Well I like the handling to be honest, but if I could improve it then it would be to make it corner a little bit more tightly. Flowing nicely through a series of bends on a windy road is what I like

To that end, what's worth upgrading? It's not a track car, it's a daily driver that will be used properly on the road and will get an annual 'Ring visit hopefully, but that's about it as far as track work goes.

ARB's are definitely something I'd like to upgrade as that's given me good results on other cars, but of the Whiteline ones available, I'm not sure which I'd be best going for?

Then I want to know more about those uprated lateral/trailing arms and how they'd affect handling and whether they are different to what I have now, and not just the same part but in pink!
Old 16 September 2012, 12:19 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Gimme some more info guys
Old 16 September 2012, 09:10 PM
Sheepy Sean
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay Cartay
Looking here there seems to be a multitude of different ARBs, so which would I be looking for?

http://www.shop.indigo-gt.co.uk/inde...=23_42_642_676

Also there are rear ARB link conv kits, what are they?

And the anti lift kits, are they purely for the front?

Looking on that site it appears the conversion kits are replacement (uprated droplinks) on some models the droplinks are plastic so you must uprate them at the same time as the antiroll bar.

As for sizes thats really down to personal preference (I started with 22mm for both front and rear but recently uprated the rear to 24mm). As standard your car should have 20mm front and rear so think about the balance - are you happy with how it is and just want more roll resistance or do you feel one end is rolling more than you want?

Anti-lift kits are for the front only. They are very good as they will give you more castor which in turn gives you more dynamic camber - when you turn in to a corner the outside wheel will gain negative camber keeping a greater width of contact between the tyre and the road so effectively you get more negative camber when you actually need it rather than just setting more static negative camber and ending up wearing out the inside edges of your tyres.
Old 17 September 2012, 03:34 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

I don't think my drop links are plastic! Does that mean conversion kits are not needed? Or are they needed to fit the Whiteline ARBs as they may be different somehow?

As far as altering the handling, I actually really like the balance. I just want to tighten things up a bit. Perhaps a tad more oversteer but nothing drastically different. In light of that, what should I be looking at?

Need to know more about whether these lateral links and trailing arms are worth the cost etc.
Old 17 September 2012, 03:40 PM
Sheepy Sean
Scooby Regular

No yours wont be plastic you should have metal balljoint type droplinks as standard so you would only need to buy the bar although some uprated links like the CDF ones that I have (or similar) would be of benefit as they will give a more direct connection between the suspension arm moving and the antiroll bar.

If you like how the car is balanced id suggest going 22mm for both bars but get them in adjustable form so you can always make the rear bar firmer if you want a slight bit of oversteer from the rear.

I wish I knew about those lateral links as im a bit curious on weather they are any better than the standard UK items.
Old 17 September 2012, 05:11 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty sure the STi ARBs are already 22mm aren't they?
Old 17 September 2012, 05:15 PM
Sheepy Sean
Scooby Regular

No the hawkeye STIs are 20mm front and rear
Old 30 September 2012, 05:45 PM
Batman4583
Scooby Newbie

I have a Hawkeye STi PPP and I am wanting to upgrade the handling a bit. I was thinking of fitting Meisterr Zeta-R coilovers, Whiteline ARB'S front & rear, Whiteline anti-lift kit and Whiteline drop links. I've also seen some Ultra Racing front & rear strut braces - http://ultraracingeu.com/subaru-impr..._p23053986.htm
As I need some new rear brake discs at the same time, I want to put on some EBC USR'S and EBC Red Stuff pads with HEL braided lines all round.

I would greatly appreciate anybody's input as to whether these are good products/ideas or not.

Thanks

Old 01 October 2012, 01:18 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Batman4583
I have a Hawkeye STi PPP and I am wanting to upgrade the handling a bit. I was thinking of fitting Meisterr Zeta-R coilovers, Whiteline ARB'S front & rear, Whiteline anti-lift kit and Whiteline drop links. I've also seen some Ultra Racing front & rear strut braces - http://ultraracingeu.com/subaru-impr..._p23053986.htm
As I need some new rear brake discs at the same time, I want to put on some EBC USR'S and EBC Red Stuff pads with HEL braided lines all round.

I would greatly appreciate anybody's input as to whether these are good products/ideas or not.

Thanks

Hi there

Meister coilovers are same as BC,which are made in the same company,but must admit here in UK are more popular BC,in US are more popular Meister than BC

WhiteLine ARB's are mostly used and recommended,we are using Eibach which suit us,WhiteLine droplinks are good and used by many people and have good review,about the ALK(Anti Lift Kit) here is somewhere good thread about the ALK's,which worth to read,strut braces,really doesn't matter which one you will fit strut brace,everyone will work and sometimes is just down to the makers and price increase

About the brakes,I wouldn't put on heavy car EBC Red Sfuff,at least Blue Stuff or Orange Stuff,but I would go Performance Friction Z-rated pads,which cost less than EBC counterparts and are much better in my view,HEL braided lines we are running and is worth money

I would suggest WhiteLine Roll centre kit if you are planning the run coilovers

Jura