Notices

Advice on setup please.

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2012, 10:12 PM
john1979
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on setup please.

Im changing my wheels from 17 to 18 on my 2003 STI and also fitting some Tein S springs. The garage has asked if I have any geometry settings in mind and/or preferences..... At this point I'm out of knowledge on the subject so would appreciate input from a guru.

If anyone is using the Tein s springs and knows their setup or what would work best for me please let me know.

Cheers

Ps. I never track my car, it's fast road only.
Old 29 August 2012, 12:55 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Geometry settings are 'fast road' as you say your intended driving is going to be.

Here is a recent set-up I dialed in to my Type R. The caster will be a little more on your car, but all the rest of the settings will be a good base setting

Can I ask why you chose the S-Tech's? I only ask as they are known for over-lowering and not being suitable for fast-road use, being an 'aesthetic spring', rather than a performance spring
Old 29 August 2012, 05:39 PM
john1979
Scooby Regular

Cheers for that.

Got the Tein S as they were decent value to be honest and worth a punt with. I do have in mind next year to change again.
Old 29 August 2012, 11:24 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

I love looking at that alignment sheet. Its f-en beautiful!

I'd have to concur with bonesetter on the STechs. Honestly, they are probably one of the worst springs you can put on your car if performance and good handling are what you have in mind. If you are on mirror smooth roads then they'll be fine. But any mid corner bumps will have you understeering like a greased pig at every turn. They do, however, make a car look great! So if boulevard cruising is your thing, these are perfect. If attacking a good, bumpy B-road is your passion, I'd say don't bother even putting them on. Just get the alignment posted above and your car will handle worlds better than with the Stechs. If you absolutely insist on running them, I suggest pulling your dampers apart and cutting the front and rear bump stops so you get more travel before hitting the stops. On the front, you can get away with cutting one or two of the small nubs. On the rear you can do the same. but the front is the most important to trim, to be honest.

Last edited by Arnie_1; 29 August 2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 30 August 2012, 08:48 PM
john1979
Scooby Regular

I don't know why I put fast road really. 75% of my driving is with the kids in the car so won't be fast.

Gonna give them a go as they are here and the cars booked in the garage now.

Cheers
Old 30 August 2012, 09:43 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

If you've got them and can't turn back, give 'em a try. If you can get the shop to trim your bumpstops it will go a long way to help with the ride quality as well. Hopefully they'll know how!

Best of luck!