Notices

New suspension options...

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2012, 10:08 AM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New suspension options...

My dampers are pretty tired so I'm mulling over what to replace the suspension with. I don't want to go with coil-overs as I don't have the budget so I'll be looking at KYB replacement struts. However, I have a couple of options on the exact setup and would be interested in your opinions.

I'm currently running Prodrive springs so option one is to replace the struts with either (option 1a) KYB Excel-Gs or (option 1b) KYB Ultras.

I'm also considering putting the car back to standard ride height and have been offered some blobeye STi springs so option 2 would be to fit those and KYB Ultras. However, I seem to remember that there is a different spring design between bugeye and blobeyes. I know the strut design changed so bug tophats won't fit blob struts but does anyone know if blobeye springs fit bugeye tophats / struts or would I need to order blobeye tophats and struts?

My car is a bugeye wagon running STi alloy front arms with caster adjustment bushes and "free caster" mod. Stock rear suspension.
Old 27 August 2012, 11:21 AM
abc
Scooby Regular

I can't answer your specific question about Bug vs Blob struts and tophats, but I've just had KYB Excel Gs fitted to my 05 Wagon which also has Prodrive springs. Initial impressions are that the ride is firmer than with the dying OE ones but I haven't been out for a "proper" drive yet. I suspect the firmness will turn into improved compliance when pressing on.

This is a helpful thread: https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...pe-struts.html The Camskill site is useful for finding out what's available.

I had mine fitted at Subaru4You at Newbury - thanks, Rick, Len and Mark.

Last edited by abc; 27 August 2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 27 August 2012, 11:55 AM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by abc
I can't answer your specific question about Bug vs Blob springs and tophats, but I've just had KYB Excel Gs fitted to my 05 Wagon which also has Prodrive springs. Initial impressions are that the ride is firmer than with the dying OE ones but I haven't been out for a "proper" drive yet. I suspect the firmness will turn into improved compliance when pressing on.

This is a helpful thread: https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...pe-struts.html The Camskill site is useful for finding out what's available.

I had mine fitted at Subaru4You at Newbury - thanks, Rick, Len and Mark.
Yes, suspect the Excel-Gs are probably better suited to the Prodrive springs. I will be doing a fair few track days so I can compromise on the ride a little but I do wonder if the Ultras would be a little over-damped for the Prodrive springs. Camskill are certainly the place to order them from though.

Have used S4U in the past but do all my own work these days
Old 27 August 2012, 05:08 PM
Scoobyno1
Scooby Regular

You would need the right year top hats to fit the right year of springs
Old 27 August 2012, 05:26 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobyno1
You would need the right year top hats to fit the right year of springs
Cool, thanks - thought that would probably be the case.