Notices

Lowered the classic need HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2012, 07:03 PM
lee65
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowered the classic need HELP!

Hi guys ive made a bit of a ***** up Was lucky enough to be able to use a four post lift to lower the car today so removed all four struts and set about stripping and replacing the springs only for some H&R. My mistake was when rebuilding the last one i looked at the top perch of the strut ie the part that goes on after the rubber ring but before the top mount. i looked at the old springs and they finish (end of spring) at a different point and i just lined up the dent in the rubber with the new spring so my question is Where are they ment to sit with the hole in the perch facing out towards the wheels or are there a mark im missing? i marked the top mount but missed this part

im guessing the biggest part as its off set is the same as the strut biggest part outwards?

Cars a MY99 uk Turbo

Thanks Lee
Old 15 July 2012, 01:53 PM
alessio
Scooby Regular

Just went through this myself.

At the front the top spring perches are indeed oriented with the middle hole (or the "out" marking between the two holes, depends on the car) to the outside. At the rear it's basically the same - the middle notch of the three on the edge of the top perch points to the outside.

The front top mounts can be installed in any position, the ones at the rear have a 4WD marking near the stud that goes to the outside. Don't forget the conical washer between the front top perch and top mount and install in correclty (with the narrower side towards the top).

Good luck!
Alex

Last edited by alessio; 15 July 2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 15 July 2012, 06:23 PM
lee65
Scooby Regular

Top man all done worked a treat cheers Lee
Old 15 July 2012, 08:51 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Here's a tip for anyone working on suspension (and a lot of things, really):

always leave one side of the car intact. After jacking the car up completely, work on the right side only or the left side only. That way, if you bugger things up you have a completely installed side to use as a visual reference as to how things were installed or assembled. Resist the temptation to remove everything off the car all at once. If you haven't installed suspension a few dozen times before you'll more than likely bugger the install afterwards.

Last edited by Arnie_1; 15 July 2012 at 08:53 PM.