Front end clunking - 98 classic

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2012, 02:36 PM
Hotstepper
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end clunking - 98 classic

Hi everyone,

Can anyone help explain the clunking noise i am hearing from the from suspension on my 98 turbo 2000.

It started about a week ago, shortly after quite a hard drive from gloucester to london and back, i have also hit a pretty large pothole around the same time.

Basically when i pull away now, i get a clunking sound that appears to be linked to the wheel rotation speed and possibly more towards the drivers side (the side that hit the pothole). it sounds like somthing metallic hitting the ground although i cannot see anything hanging loose.

I have ruled out anything engine or drivetrain related as it happens with the clutch dipped and free rolling.

What is strange is that when at normal driving speed it seems to go away - either that or other noises from the engine/wind mask it.

The car is totally standard and i plan to get coilovers fitted shortly as the rear strut is leaking and drop links need replacing.

Any ideas or advice appreiciated ??

Cheers.
Old 13 July 2012, 03:57 PM
sunny1989
Scooby Regular

I'll be interested to hear a reply to this as I've got a similar problem.

low speed only clunking/clicking sound when I turn et accelerate, I'm pretty sure its a c.v joint but not 100%.

checked the drop links et suspension components and they all seem in good fettle. So I'm fairly certain a c.v's buggered, likewise I can't hear it at high speed,the noise just isn't there.

anyone got any ideas on a rough price for replacing a c.v joint for a 97 turbo 2000?
Old 22 July 2012, 03:38 PM
Chan HT
Scooby Regular

Try disconnecting both front drop links. I am using Whiteline droplinks and it clunks and very annoying. I have lubricate almost all bolts, bushing including the droplinks and still clunking noise persist. I disconnected the drop links and drove the car for a weeks and no clunk sound. I have tightened up the bolts that connect the droplink to ARB, really tight and clunk sound occasionally comes alive. I guess I have to live with it. Car is 1998 WRX.

Chan
Old 22 July 2012, 05:13 PM
Hotstepper
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the response Chan. Noticed that my front spring is rubbing on my tyre so is most likely that, that is causing the noise. Interesting to hear that the white line drop links make a noise as I was considering adding those.
Old 24 July 2012, 03:41 PM
Chan HT
Scooby Regular

Actually my standard plastic drop links caused clunking noise as well when they were all worn out. Fitting Whiteline ones make those clunking noise unless you tighten those bolts that connect the ARB end and the droplinks really tight, as mentioned, clunking noise still there but less. Maybe it's the design of the steel front lower control arm on the MY98 model. Those MY99 onwards are alloy arm and slightly different set up.
Would be interesting to hear from others with clunking noise from droplinks.