yet another knock/clunk problem

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2012, 10:46 AM
slippyr4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yet another knock/clunk problem

Hi All,

My 2004 WRX wagon is making a clunking sound from the front offside wheel area. It's not an occasional knock, more like 2 or 3 times a second, when it's doing it. You can (just about) feel the knock in the steering at low speed.

The noise is apparent at low speed, especially on bumpy terrain, and is much worse when turning sharply. The time I notice it most is pulling into a parking space, or into my drive.

My mechanic (who is not an impreza expert) has had a good look around and not found anything amiss. We have replaced the drop links and anti roll bar bushes, but it hasn't helped at all.

I'm not sure what else it is likely to be?

any ideas or experience would be appreciated.
thanks

slip
Old 19 July 2012, 01:39 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Where are you?
Old 26 July 2012, 09:37 PM
bluedave
Scooby Regular

bump

my car has this exact problem too, its really irritating and ruins the enjoyment of driving the car.

I had been suspecting loose brake pads but i'm not 100% convinced its not suspension related either. I have after market brakes fitted and the anti-rattle clips are in place hence making me think its suspension.

So to recap rattles and clunks coming from the front offside that I can feel through the steering wheel and pedals at low speeds over poor road surfaces.

so please welcome any ideas !

dave
Old 27 July 2012, 09:39 AM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

My experience of pads knocking is when you brake after having braked in the opposite direction.
ie You brake to stop going forwards, move in reverse and then brake again and the pads will move back in the calipers and create a knock. You don't tend to get a feeling as to where the knock has come from. Same applies when you apply the brakes after moving forwards again.

Last edited by GeeDee; 27 July 2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 28 July 2012, 11:51 AM
SpecVlimited
Scooby Newbie

i seem to have the same problem on my 2006 Sti but all the knocking/clunking threads i have read so far were only noice related.
I got that clunking sound and a very noticeable vibration/shaking in the steering wheel while gonig over bumps sideways and
on the track while the front tires are struggling for grip.

I can rule out wheels, tires, brake pads, front and rear swaybar +endlinks.
I have changed all those bits and while the car was on the lift i checked for any loose bolts but found nothing.
Old 28 July 2012, 06:08 PM
kin quick
Scooby Regular

This maybe worth a go, I've had the dreaded rear shock knock on my 06 STi, after a quick search on the net and here, I tried spraying the pistons with lithium grease just to see if it works (it's really cheap and easy so gotta be worth a go) and it's totally stopped any knocking!

I got a spray can of lithium grease from Halfrauds, jacked the rear up, pulled the dust covers up and sprayed lots of grease all over the shock piston, 500miles later and theres no knocking what so ever

From what I've read, it's only a temporary measure but some people have done over 5k miles without issue since using the grease.

For something that takes 10minutes to do, it's definately worth a go before changing parts!
Old 05 August 2012, 10:01 AM
Celica500
Scooby Regular

I'm currently experiencing the same problem, it's coming from the nearside rear which from reading seems to the common side. It's constant like you described on your first post and heard more when going at low speeds. If I lean on that side of the car and let it go you can hear the clunk. I'll give the lithium spray a go today and let you know if it helps. If not it's coilovers for it.
Old 13 November 2012, 06:14 PM
scubasteve67
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by slippyr4
Hi All,

My 2004 WRX wagon is making a clunking sound from the front offside wheel area. It's not an occasional knock, more like 2 or 3 times a second, when it's doing it. You can (just about) feel the knock in the steering at low speed.

The noise is apparent at low speed, especially on bumpy terrain, and is much worse when turning sharply. The time I notice it most is pulling into a parking space, or into my drive.

My mechanic (who is not an impreza expert) has had a good look around and not found anything amiss. We have replaced the drop links and anti roll bar bushes, but it hasn't helped at all.

I'm not sure what else it is likely to be?

any ideas or experience would be appreciated.
thanks

slip
I TOO have this same problem in same are & I'm out of pocket changing same parts without fixing real problem!! Mines a 2006/56 sportswagon & it's driving me nuts the noise. Tried spraying the strut top bearing with white grease.. No difference! I believe this is the part that is the problem but its sealed.Someone please give me some advice?!?!? Thanks Steve
Old 02 January 2013, 10:48 PM
wrx_2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kin quick
This maybe worth a go, I've had the dreaded rear shock knock on my 06 STi, after a quick search on the net and here, I tried spraying the pistons with lithium grease just to see if it works (it's really cheap and easy so gotta be worth a go) and it's totally stopped any knocking!

I got a spray can of lithium grease from Halfrauds, jacked the rear up, pulled the dust covers up and sprayed lots of grease all over the shock piston, 500miles later and theres no knocking what so ever

From what I've read, it's only a temporary measure but some people have done over 5k miles without issue since using the grease.

For something that takes 10minutes to do, it's definately worth a go before changing parts!
do the wheels need to be taken off, how far can the rear dust covers move in order to expose the strut to be greased ?
Old 03 January 2013, 09:45 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had this with my 2001 bug WRX and it drove me mad.
It turned out to be one of the engine mounts had come loose; there was actually also a bolt that had dropped down into the bay and was stuck behind it which meant the noise was magnified.

Got the bolt out, did the mount up, problem solved

Last edited by MrNoisy; 03 January 2013 at 09:46 PM.