Notices

Can't find the bl***y knock!

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2012, 04:32 PM
Wazz777
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't find the bl***y knock!

Just had my rear shocks changed which has eliminated the knocking at slow speeds. However, I still have a really annoying noise/feel when accelerating from a standstill. It only happens when accelerating from slow speed and can be felt throught the drivers seat and sounds very much like a crunch. It's almost like there's something rolling around in the boot. I thought it had to be the shocks when they where put under load but this has now been ruled out.

Springs and top mounts were also changed. Could it be ARB or drop links? Would they make that sort of noise? Any ideas more than welcome as it is becoming very annoying now.

Thanks all
Old 28 May 2012, 04:35 PM
BLU
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be checking the ARB and drop links to start with but there is so much it could be.........

I's suggest getting it up on and MOT ramp and let them 'wiggle' it around to find out whats loose!
Old 28 May 2012, 10:05 PM
scooby-k
Scooby Regular

as suggested arb bushes maybe. they are cheap to replace. just brought mine from Roger Clarke's £10.30 + postage.
Old 28 May 2012, 10:08 PM
DEATHLYREAPER
Scooby Regular

i had the same put coilovers poly bushes and droplinks, cured !!!
Old 28 May 2012, 10:20 PM
Wazz777
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. I think I'll do the drop links and ARB and see what that does. I'm not convinced that's the problem though.
Old 29 May 2012, 10:20 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's a crunching noise that doesn't sound great.
If it's a knocking at the front, check your engine mounts aren't loose - my old WRX bug had an engine mount come loose and as I moved off it used to knock; as the noise got louder from just a faint tapping until I could actually feel a little movement I took it to my local dealer and they quickly diagnosed the issue and fitted a new bolt; problem solved
Old 29 May 2012, 10:26 AM
Wazz777
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bugeye_Scoob
If it's a crunching noise that doesn't sound great.
If it's a knocking at the front, check your engine mounts aren't loose - my old WRX bug had an engine mount come loose and as I moved off it used to knock; as the noise got louder from just a faint tapping until I could actually feel a little movement I took it to my local dealer and they quickly diagnosed the issue and fitted a new bolt; problem solved
Crunch is probably the wrong description. It's definetly happening from the rear. Gonna get her up on the ramps again and have another look.
Old 29 May 2012, 10:53 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In that case, +1 on the suggestion to check the ARB and links. Good luck
Old 30 May 2012, 05:09 PM
Wazz777
Scooby Regular

Just a quick update. Had the car up on the ramps today and it looks like the problem is either the prop shaft knocking on the mounts or the rear diff. Did a bit more research and theres loads of people with the symptom of a clunk when going on and off power at low speeds. Not sure on how to deal with this yet as I need to pinpoint the exact area it's coming from. Any ideas anyone?
Old 13 June 2012, 11:06 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Check that the hub nuts are tight, it's very common that they come lose and cause a knock on and off throttle.

dipster
Old 13 June 2012, 01:04 PM
Wazz777
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davedipster
Check that the hub nuts are tight, it's very common that they come lose and cause a knock on and off throttle.

dipster
I'll have a look later. Cheers for the input
Old 14 June 2012, 02:12 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

I had the clunking/knocking noise coming from the front drivers suspension. Was a ballache to try and diagnose exactly where it was coming from but believe it was coming from the BC coilover damper. Weekend gone took the strut out and sent it to Apex to diagnose where in the stut the problem lies. Apex advised over the phone it could be from the top mount bearing, or the damper itself. Waiting to see what the prognosis is now that they have recieved the strut.

My noise was defo metal to metal. Sort of metal clipping metal when at low speeds or going over the bump.

When the car was lifted on a ramp then put down you could hear it. It only happen when the strut was lowered to the ground could you hear it make that sound.
Old 16 June 2012, 09:25 PM
sam_wrx
Scooby Regular

also check the pins for the brake pads, as they can sometimes cause a slight know if there worn on take off and braking
Old 16 June 2012, 10:19 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

Sorry to highjack but what shocks did you use and where and how much did you pay, can PM if you like. TIA
Old 17 June 2012, 05:07 PM
Wazz777
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by daviee
Sorry to highjack but what shocks did you use and where and how much did you pay, can PM if you like. TIA
I had to get used OE ones from a breaker as I couldn't find anywhere that sold them new at a 'reasonable' price. I paid £230 delivered for the rears that were reaonably low milage.

I have since learnt that the KYB Ultra SR rears will fit, regardless of what anyone selling them says. It's the fronts that are possibly a different fit. You can pick the rear KYB shocks up for about £220. New.

Hope this helps