Notices

Classic: STI springs on WRX suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2012, 04:41 PM
imprezaGT1996
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic: STI springs on WRX suspension?

Hello would classic sti springs and top mounts fits on my WRX suspension/ dampers? Its a 1996 WRX estate!

Kind regards
Mat
Old 10 May 2012, 06:37 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Yup. All Classic struts, springs, topmounts, etc. are completely interchangeable (saloon, wagon, coupe).
Old 10 May 2012, 07:39 PM
imprezaGT1996
Scooby Newbie

thank you very much but when I look for lowering springs in ebay there stays often "not for STI" so I thought they wouldn't fit to the wrx dampers.

And i've searched a lot and found nobody who fitted sti spirings on the wrx dampers.

kind regards
Old 10 May 2012, 09:42 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Just make sure you are looking at the Classic model years. You might be looking at the newage models because the WRX name was only used in Japan. The rest of the world got the WRX starting with the bug eye in 2001/2. And the STi versions of that year too. So for the new age cars, depending on the year, STi parts(dampers) will not fit on a WRX (post 2005). The springs will physically fit if they are the correct years. I think on most euro catalogs, the classic is never referred to as a WRX nor an STi.

Now, leaving all the new age models out of the equation...

STi V1-6 springs will physically fit on any Classic strut/top mount. JDM WRX, Euro Impreza Turbo, Impreza GT. The STi spring rates did vary through the years, with the stiffest being on the V6 (as well as a few special springs like the STi Tarmac Gymkhana springs). The V5/6 had the read inverted monotube KYB dampers. V1-4 used the black twin tube damper. I can't be sure how different the valving was compared to the WRX or standard Euro Turbo models.

So your big issue will be, what damper do you end up getting. If its the Excel-G, then that is about the same stiffness as Impreza GT, maybe 10% stiffer. I'm not sure under what you are searching on Ebay. Just make sure that you check what year the springs are for, especially if they say STi. They could be for the new age cars and they won't fit. ok, the fronts will fit but not the rear. Anyway, its important to know what spring rate they are because they might be too stiff for the excel-g damper. Which is the thing about the AGX or Koni, you can adjust the stiffness to just about any spring available out there.

Last edited by Arnie_1; 10 May 2012 at 09:45 PM.