Notices

PU ARB bushing life/maint?

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2012, 10:51 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PU ARB bushing life/maint?

What is the life expectancy of polyurethane arb bushings - daily all season driving, and does anyone perform any maintainace on them - cleaning & regreasing?
Old 18 April 2012, 05:43 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on your local conditions really. When I lived in sunnier climates I went about 4 years without having to regrease and i only did because I swapped out for a different sized bar. However in rainy, snowy climates its not a bad idea to do it annually. Personally, I've always just used marine grease rather than anything provided by the manufacturer. Stay away from white lithium grease. They just absorb water, cake up and fall out. Marine grease stays put and resists water (obviously). But to be honest, I grease things when I hear knocking or squeeking, whether it be after one year or three!
Old 19 April 2012, 07:01 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnie_1
Depends on your local conditions really. When I lived in sunnier climates I went about 4 years without having to regrease and i only did because I swapped out for a different sized bar. However in rainy, snowy climates its not a bad idea to do it annually. Personally, I've always just used marine grease rather than anything provided by the manufacturer. Stay away from white lithium grease. They just absorb water, cake up and fall out. Marine grease stays put and resists water (obviously). But to be honest, I grease things when I hear knocking or squeeking, whether it be after one year or three!
Thanks Arnie. Will try and source some marine grease as up 'till now I haven't paid too much attention to what type I've been using

I'm just a bit curious about the whole of this PU bushing thing at the moment
Old 21 April 2012, 09:05 AM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think of the various PU manufacturers out there, SuperPro and Whiteline are the top ones. The other brit and american brands are too hard or degrade/tear quickly. The australians use PU as OEM replacement parts and have thus developed PU(design and formulation) way beyond what the rest of the world does. You can actually use them for a street car with very little increase in NVH but a large increase in performance.

They can require a bit more maintenance compared to a rubber bush but since I drive a modified car, I expect a certain amount of extra maintenance on any performance parts I install.

Job likes to use Redline grease. Also good stuff.