Notices

Anti Roll Bar Links

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2002, 02:30 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There will be a bit more road noise and the ride will be a tad stiffer, so I am led to believe . I'll find out for myself at the weekend

Edited to say I assume you mean going from plastic to metal drop links, as your car has links of some description either way!

Justin

[Edited by Jay m A - 5/1/2002 2:32:40 PM]
Old 05 February 2002, 05:18 AM
kevvwil
Scooby Regular

Rears: no difference, except for a slight noise increase (with the STi pillowball links) Handling improved markedly, as you in effect help the swaybar to act better/faster.

Fronts: crashing and bashing and general deterioration of ride quality. Didn't like the fronts at all.

This is on a WRX wagon with the STi wagon suspension, STi control arm bushings and lateral links.

Kevin

[Edited by kevvwil - 5/2/2002 5:18:57 AM]
Old 05 February 2002, 10:52 PM
SSE
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Greg,

Fitted front links to standard ARB on my 5dr MY00, and have not noticed any increase in road noise or harshness. But the car is much more responsive to steering inputs and rolls less. So I'm very happy with it indeed. Didn't expect such a big difference, as the standard fronts don't seem to be as flexible as the rears.
I believe it may be partly due to the solid links being just a tad longer (so it seemed to me at least) than the standard ones, which means they will start transferring load at an earlier point than the standard ones (though importantly not long enough so as to preload the ARB, which is not a good thing.)

I did fit a 22mm adjustable rear ARB at the same time, now set to softest position while awaiting rear links to arrive from Townendgarage. Now it's like I can feel the rear links flex, as initially, the car is stiffer, but once more load is starting to transfer, the rear flexes almost as before. I'm convinced it's due to the drop links not being up to the job, as they have to work with a stiffer ARB. Apparently, people running uprated ARB and standard links have experienced snapping of the links, hence I choose to use the softest settings until solid links are in place...

Hope that helps.
/Simen

[Edited by SSE - 5/3/2002 7:22:06 AM]
Old 01 May 2002, 01:54 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Anyone care to comment on the effectiveness or not of said items? I assume they help on the track, but are there any negative effects on the road?

cheers,

greg
Old 03 May 2002, 07:10 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

First thing I did was the links - major improvement all round - little impact on NVH, HUGE positive impact on the poise of the car.

Can't recommend them enough.