Notices

Pink Lateral arms v4 and 5

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2012, 08:43 PM
denners
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pink Lateral arms v4 and 5

A few weeks ago i got my hands on some pink trailing arms and lateral arms off of a mate who was breaking a v5 sti wagon. They were in a bit of a state and bushes were shot so the plan was to get them blasted and replace the bushes and fit to my car which is a my98 v4 sti wagon.
I shoved my head under my car earlier before it got dark and noticed straight away that my rear droplinks attatch to the lateral arms, the pink ones i have dont have any means to bolt the droplink to it.

For a bargain £30 i just went about unbolting everything Pink without really having much thought if they would fit my v4.
Is there any differences in the rear setup between these cars as standard?

Help would be sweet
Cheers
Old 10 January 2012, 01:09 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

You are missing the drop link bracket box and drop links:

This is what they look like installed:

however the best solution is from PolTec. The STi brackets tended to rip apart with anything larger than a 20mm rear ARB.

Are you sure the bushes are shot? They are pillowball and not rubber.

Last edited by Arnie_1; 10 January 2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11 January 2012, 10:05 PM
denners
Scooby Regular

Cheers bud, yeah ive got the bracket boxes too. Sending them all to get freshly power coated in the week hopefully.
Couldnt help think that they wouldnt fit as my whiteline droplinks bolt to the control arm on my car.
Soon as i have a chance when i still have daylight after work il have a better look and get a better understanding.
Im fairly certain that bushes were gone or dying as the play in them all were quite alarming. My mate who drove the car before breaking mentioned alot of 'slop' and knocking sounds from rear of car.
I like the look of them poltec brackets. Good info thanks fella.
Still on std arb at the mo but soon as funds will allow it will be 22mm whiteline as ive yet to hear anything but good stuff about them.
Old 11 January 2012, 10:18 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Ah good, you have the brackets. You can have them reinforced with a bit of plate steel welded in there. Basically weld and drill out a piece of flat steel where the endlink attaches. then paint. You'll be good to go.

Here's a pic of where it fails:

I'm not 100% sure if the inner diameter of the laterlinks and trailing arms are the same as OEM. If they are, just press the old bushings/bearings out and replace with Whiteline Poly bushings or STi Group N rubber. The poly is easier to install. Group N will require a press. But you can also have them pressed in when you press out the old ones.