Notices

Cheaper Coilovers - Any Good Do You Think?

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2011, 11:56 PM
Twin Fields
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheaper Coilovers - Any Good Do You Think?

I saw these on Ebay and as they are a little over half the price of many of the mid price range coilovers, what are they likely to be like?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMP...item35b7ce0314

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RACELAND-C...item3a6e025d29

I think I know what most of you will say, but it would be interesting to hear from someone who has been brave enough to try them!
Old 23 December 2011, 11:58 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

I won`t sl@g off anything with knowledge of it, but usually, from my experience things are cheap for a reason. Be interesting if anyone has them fitted doubt it though
Old 23 December 2011, 11:59 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone, and I can't recall who but it may have been Rob Day, tried them and they knocked from day one. They are only height adjustable and not damping adjustable and the quality is questionable
Old 24 December 2011, 12:01 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raceland coilovers are not bad,but not the best,somewhere has been big thread about the Raceland coilovers i would recommend search here

Jura
Old 24 December 2011, 12:04 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Here is some proper feedback...

https://www.scoobynet.com/suspension...group-buy.html
Old 24 December 2011, 01:38 PM
Twin Fields
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Thanks for the link Jon, I've read right through it all and I am still a bit confused as to whether they are liked by those who have bought them or not?

Rob Day seemed to like them, apart from a quality issue with a rear that was resolved with a replacement unit, but said that he still had a knock that he was prepared to put up with, but then ultimately ended up breaking the whole car?

The close up photo's Rob took showed these coilovers as being quite nicely finished off.

Lief didn't seem to like his set at all, saying that he was having continual problems with rattles and knocks coming from the top mounts.

I've had/got plenty of motorbikes of various types (Road, Trials and now a Supermoto) over the years, some had twinshocks, most were mono's, all of which had shocks on them that essentially look like these coilovers in respect of the fact that they have an adjustable spring, a damper (some adjustable for compression and rebound, some not) and are attached in some way at the top and the bottom and go up and down absorbing the bumps. the only difference being is that I've never had any that have made any noise during operation.

As I currently don't run coilovers on my car, I'm confused as to where this rattling/knocking is coming from on these brand new shocks? Surely if everything is adjusted up properly and there is enough preload on the springs so when they are fully extended they are still under load and all the bolts are all done up correctly so nothing is moving around, where's the knocking coming from? Are these new shocks now showing up something elsewhere on the suspension (bushes, bearing etc) as being worn?

Looking at these two different Ebay auctions, the shocks actually look the same even though they are different prices. If you look at the contact details they are being being sold out of the same building in Basingstoke, albeit different rooms and from different people's names. The cheaper one's have a 3 year warranty and the more expensive one's only have a 2 year warranty, both are TUV approved, so no problems with the MOT then.

Even though neither (or the same sets) have compression/rebound adjustability they still appear to offer good value for money, don't they?

Sorry to Rob Day and Lief if I have over simplified my views as to where the rattling knocking is coming from, but I just don't understand why these noises are apparent if everything is new and tight!

Good (previous) post though Rob and a nice looking STI.

Last edited by Twin Fields; 24 December 2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 24 December 2011, 02:31 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually have robs old set of race land coilovers fitted.

Firstly the rattle - this comes from the rear struts both of them, were the strut comes through the topmount it has a bearing, this plate has slight movement, it cannot be tightened, it makes no difference to the workings of the shock, it just passes it through the solid top mount to the chassi and you get a rattle.

Second oem shocks have rubber topmounts these have solid metal. To they do pass on more road bumps etc.

For me I have run coilovers and air ride on many cars and for lowering just for looks raceland surfice, they take the road quite well. Can be a bit bumpy and lift which isn't going to be in tune to a 1000 pound set. So that's your options. Regarding quality of machining etc there top notch. So no worries there. It's like any mod, it has good and negative effect. These lower well but ride is compromised.

Trending Topics

Old 24 December 2011, 02:39 PM
Twin Fields
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cuprajake
I actually have robs old set of race land coilovers fitted.

Firstly the rattle - this comes from the rear struts both of them, were the strut comes through the topmount it has a bearing, this plate has slight movement, it cannot be tightened, it makes no difference to the workings of the shock, it just passes it through the solid top mount to the chassi and you get a rattle.

Second oem shocks have rubber topmounts these have solid metal. To they do pass on more road bumps etc.

For me I have run coilovers and air ride on many cars and for lowering just for looks raceland surfice, they take the road quite well. Can be a bit bumpy and lift which isn't going to be in tune to a 1000 pound set. So that's your options. Regarding quality of machining etc there top notch. So no worries there. It's like any mod, it has good and negative effect. These lower well but ride is compromised.
OK, thanks for the explanation. It sounds like you're happy with them anyway.

Like I said before, they've gotta represent good value for money, surely?
Old 24 December 2011, 03:07 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

i am for what they are, there a budget coilover, the ride on smooth roads if fine, get on rochdale rds and there bumpy so you feel it,

im in two minds to go back to factory suspension as in feb ill have a new born in the car,

had these been £600 coilovers then i would be unimpressed haha
Old 24 December 2011, 03:17 PM
RAVENLEON
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I have been looking at these and glad someone has started this thread!!
They might do me well as I'm on a budget and its more for looks than performance!, I recently heard that Raceland have closed which may cause issues with warranty?

With the 2 year warranty they were offering I thought they couldnt be that bad a deal!
Old 24 December 2011, 03:19 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

there all the same, raceland ta teknix etc
Old 24 December 2011, 04:58 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

The knock at the rear seems to be an issue with BCs as well, I've known people to have an issue with them too
Old 24 December 2011, 05:55 PM
RAVENLEON
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

So is there a cure for the rears knocking?, what would people who haver them fitted recommend or suggest?
Old 24 December 2011, 06:11 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Turn the stereo up
Old 27 December 2011, 11:09 AM
m77nos
Scooby Regular

I ordered a set from them at £339 and they arrived 3 days later (23rd december) i will be fitting them later on today so can let you know about any knocks, rattles or issues I have from them. I had raceland coilovers on my last car (golf r32) and never had any issues with them.

some bc kits also have problems with the rears knocking which was sorted out with a different top mount.

Chris
Old 27 December 2011, 11:12 AM
RAVENLEON
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by m77nos
I ordered a set from them at £339 and they arrived 3 days later (23rd december) i will be fitting them later on today so can let you know about any knocks, rattles or issues I have from them. I had raceland coilovers on my last car (golf r32) and never had any issues with them.

some bc kits also have problems with the rears knocking which was sorted out with a different top mount.

Chris
Nice one Chris!!
Old 27 December 2011, 11:28 AM
Twin Fields
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by m77nos

Chris
Chris, are the sets costing £339.00 the same items as the sets costing £389.00?

They certainly look the same to me!

If they are the same units then it's a set at £339.00 for me, as that offers even better value for money.

We await with interest your views on how they perform.

Please include details as to how you've got your car set up with these coilovers fitted, either whether you've set them up for handling and comfort (higher) or whether you got them set down for looks only, and if this is the case, how that effects the handling and ride.
Old 27 December 2011, 12:42 PM
Scoobyno1
Scooby Regular

Please keep us informed
Old 27 December 2011, 01:35 PM
m77nos
Scooby Regular

I believe they are, as when buying them i also noticed the similarity in location (same business park) i went with hottuning as i have bought from them before with no trouble.

Only thing I noticed different is in the listing where it says kit contents the £339 kit had more description, dont think there is any difference though.

I will be setting the kit up at circa 35mm-40mm lower and will be getting it set up for fast road in a couple of weeks once it has settled it.

Im going to go to the garage now with a flask of HOT tea, to fit them.

I will try and film any noises or rattles and post up the video to show you.

Chris
Old 27 December 2011, 03:21 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

The knock at the rear seems to be an issue with BCs as well, I've known people to have an issue with them too
Not on mine
Old 27 December 2011, 03:22 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

They revised the topmount to be made of rubber thus stopping the rattle. I'm looking into a fix for mine at the mo.
Old 27 December 2011, 04:33 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

If you are spending that much put some more money on top and get yourself some BC Coilovers.
Old 27 December 2011, 05:01 PM
Twin Fields
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
If you are spending that much put some more money on top and get yourself some BC Coilovers.
????
Old 27 December 2011, 05:16 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Twin Fields
????
Loads of threads on here about BC Coilovers.

If your spending £400 put on £200 extra.

I changed to BC Coilovers because my OEM SHocks started knocking.
Old 27 December 2011, 05:18 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Twin Fields
????
Raceland's are only height adjustable, for the extra money you get damper adjustable shocks with the BCs and a choice of spring rates - they seem better suited to everyday use
Old 27 December 2011, 06:39 PM
Twin Fields
Scooby Regular

Raceland's are only height adjustable, for the extra money you get damper adjustable shocks with the BCs and a choice of spring rates - they seem better suited to everyday use
We are eagerly awaiting Chris's (m77nos) verdict on the Racelands he has just bought to see if he thinks they are good for the money or whether it would have been better to spend the extra on something like the BC's?

On a personal note: I have a 41k miles 02 Bugeye Wagon on standard suspension which has about a 25/30mm arch gap over the rear wheels (which looks fine), but the front is at least double that and so I would like to uprate the suspension all round but would really only like to lower the front down to match the arch to wheel gap of the rear.

I have looked at various aftermarket lowering springs, but they all advertise there products as lowering the rear by nearly as much as the front and as I use the car as a family/dog walking vehicle, it would be more practical to not have the rear lowered as much as the front. Plus the shocks have done 41k miles and it would be just my luck that if I bought some new springs, a shock would fail and I would need to replace at least one, but would be better off replacing a pair.

So I am hoping that coilovers will offer the perfect compromise between uprating the spring rates and ride height because I will have the option to lower the fronts more than the rears. Unless I really have misunderstood how they work?

So I'm waiting to hear from Chris!

Last edited by Twin Fields; 27 December 2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 28 December 2011, 04:02 PM
cuprajake
Scooby Regular

here's a vid i took of one of the rear coilovers i have as a 'spare' you can hear and see the movement in the topmount bearing.

anyideas on a fix?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifGuUdAhjTo&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Old 29 December 2011, 01:29 PM
m77nos
Scooby Regular

Right coilovers all fitted, had to wait till yesturday as mate poped round with a problem on his car which took a little longer to sort than we hoped. I havent had a chance to give take them on a bumpy road as yet but i will be this evening. If theres any knocks i will do my best to film it, Ive left the rear seats out so i should be able hear it well.

As for the coilovers i couldnt fault them, they seem pretty comfy even though they are not damper adjustable.

Be carefull when setting the height as i put the aduster in the middle and my car pretty much sat on the floor, ive now got it near the top of the strut and it sits perfect. I will get some pictures of the car/coilovers and post them up.

Chris
Old 29 December 2011, 05:28 PM
RAVENLEON
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers Chris!, be great to hear what you think of them!
Old 14 January 2012, 04:39 PM
RAVENLEON
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Any updates Chris?, just wondered what you thought of them now they have been in for a bit?
What about a couple of pics?? ; )

Quick Reply: Cheaper Coilovers - Any Good Do You Think?