Notices

Raceland Coilovers feedback and possible Group buy.....

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2011, 08:05 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Raceland Coilovers feedback and possible Group buy.....

Hi Guys,

I noticed this on eBay Raceland and figured these are too cheap, thus must be 'cheap n nasty'. I googled the products, and it appears to be a mixed response.

Anyway I contact them for a little more information and to see what price I could get for a group buy, they replied, but with only the information that already in the advert and they offered them at £350 delivered per set.

I’m not necessarily trying to arrange a group buy, but I’m also after feedback, and if anyone has got a set of these already what do you make of them?

Thanks,
Rob

------------------------------------------------------

Edit - Ok so folk are starting to PM me to order these prior to me receiving mine and leaving feedback, which is great news by the way as we can get a good mixed response from all those that have ordred so far.

So if you have just started to read this thread, and you are interested in a set, please PM me for the Promo Code and I will send you all the info you need to order these directly from Raceland themselves (no middle man).

Rob

Last edited by Rob Day; 14 April 2011 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12 January 2011, 08:39 PM
scooby1664
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id be interested in some, pm me if you find out any info mate! Seem too good to be true!
Old 12 January 2011, 08:42 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Rob i've heard mixed feeling from these coilovers....But for £350 is dirty cheap,worth to try.I think will be not worse like BC's

Jura
Old 12 January 2011, 09:04 PM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

Same idea I had. From lots of reading they are actually cheap and nasty. They'll lower your car but adjusters seize and lots of breakages is what you get for the money. My 2p. I did have a thread somewhere from a few days ago on it.
Old 12 January 2011, 09:40 PM
200sex
Scooby Regular

to be honest would rather spend double on coilovers from a named company that have all the proper test equipment you wouldnt want the coilovers snapping at 100mph on a track
Old 12 January 2011, 10:19 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi Rob i've heard mixed feeling from these coilovers....But for £350 is dirty cheap,worth to try.I think will be not worse like BC's
Jura
Cheers Jura,

That was my reason for asking for feedback. I mean the offer is there from them should we want it, and as my cars only see around 5'000 miles per year I was thinking why not for £350, but then there is the safety aspect of it....

Rob

Originally Posted by birchy2010
Same idea I had. From lots of reading they are actually cheap and nasty. They'll lower your car but adjusters seize and lots of breakages is what you get for the money. My 2p. I did have a thread somewhere from a few days ago on it.
Ive seen that post mate, searched it after posting this

Originally Posted by 200sex
to be honest would rather spend double on coilovers from a named company that have all the proper test equipment you wouldnt want the coilovers snapping at 100mph on a track
Its a good point, but then I only intend on doing the series of Scoobyshootouts this year, surely for £350 its worth a pop. I might be the guinea pig then .

I noticed a set sell on eBay the other day that were used Sold ones , so I asked the guy that was selling them what he thought, and here is the repsonse:

I said:
Obviously these are inferior to your Tein's, but would you say they are worth wile from a step up from the standard STI setup?
Rob

He said:
hi rob these are a good middle of the road setup they are quite a firm ride and the car seemed to handle ok the only downside to this setup is that becouse they are solid mounted you do get a little noise when going over rough ground hope this helps

I said:
Sorry for being a little un-educated, but what do you mean by solid mounted? I wouldnt see anything other than Tarmac ordinarily, and I will see the occassional track day. Thanks, Rob

He said:
these shocks have a pillow ball top mount setup where as standard shocks have a rubber top mount these are solid to reduce suspension movement but in doing so some noise is transfared to the car on rough roads

Rob

Last edited by Rob Day; 12 January 2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12 January 2011, 10:26 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi Rob probably worth get promo piece,something like test piece for one member,which will test on own Subaru.You should ask Raceland about this?
Really great response

Jura
Old 15 January 2011, 02:34 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Hi Jura,

Ive contacted Raceland direct again, however no further discount offered although I can buy just one set from them at the £350 group buy rate. I shall guinea pig them

Hi Rob probably worth get promo piece,something like test piece for one member,which will test on own Subaru.You should ask Raceland about this?
Really great response
Jura

Anymore people interest let me know, they will be sending me a dsicount code for anyone wishing to buy, please PM me and I will send you the code.

Rob
Old 15 January 2011, 03:15 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by UK300 PRODRIVE
Hi Jura,

Ive contacted Raceland direct again, however no further discount offered although I can buy just one set from them at the £350 group buy rate. I shall guinea pig them

Anymore people interest let me know, they will be sending me a dsicount code for anyone wishing to buy, please PM me and I will send you the code.

Rob

Hi Rob really tempting...........
I'm looking forward for feedback on this coilover kit.....

Jura
Old 15 January 2011, 06:44 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Hi Rob really tempting...........
I'm looking forward for feedback on this coilover kit.....

Jura
I put it to them that they must be "cheap and nasty" at this price, and they simply said buy some (knowing that im on a forum about them) and leave feedback.

So im guessing they must be confident that they will meet the expectations (not that i have any )

Regards,
Rob..
Old 15 January 2011, 07:29 PM
NEILB1
Scooby Regular

i my situation i can not spend thesze prices like £600+ on suspension so if a GB does go ahead and we can get them cheaper than £350 i am well up for it regardless to if they are ****
Old 15 January 2011, 07:56 PM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

I'll be watching this to see your review of them.
Old 15 January 2011, 09:34 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

These used to be advertised as a group buy on mk1 golf forum I am a member of. I have just been in to have a look and they have all but disappeared, so possibly not good news. From what I can remember there were a few issues with a lot of the earlier sets that had been sent out regarding ride quality, but then apparently they were changed for different supplier and the complaints seemed to stop. However there were a few issues raised with some people claiming that there car had failed the mot with these coilovers fitted.
Can't say much more than that as I can't find any threads on that site about them anymore.
Old 15 January 2011, 09:47 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

WRXrowdy - I have found mixed feedback, but then most feedback is all other manufacturers of cars and not Subaru. I did notice that one VW forum praise them. The only decent read was on a Yank (I think) WRX Forum, but the write up ended without results.... grrr.

Anyway, Im ordering them early next week, so I'll keep the thread updated as comprehensively as possible.
Old 17 January 2011, 09:36 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

WRXrowdy - I have found mixed feedback, but then most feedback is all other manufacturers of cars and not Subaru. I did notice that one VW forum praise them. The only decent read was on a Yank (I think) WRX Forum, but the write up ended without results.... grrr.

Anyway, Im ordering them early next week, so I'll keep the thread updated as comprehensively as possible.
It was a VW (mk1 golf owners) forum that I was talking about. From what I can recall, and from the odd post that i have been able to find, the main issue was with the raceland coilover, and these were later replaced by TA Technix coilovers.
Do you have a contact name from the supplier, I can not remember the fellas name, but if my memory was jogged I might be able to let you know if it is the same company. They went under the name of Hottuning.
HTH.
Old 17 January 2011, 10:01 PM
p.lambo
Scooby Regular

just because there cheap dont mean there nasty every company has to start some were .As they build a rep the price will go up or down depending on the out come .
Old 17 January 2011, 10:03 PM
JdcTypeR
Scooby Regular

Looking forward to hearing your opinion on these
Old 17 January 2011, 10:09 PM
JdcTypeR
Scooby Regular

Sorry but are these newage only and do they have rear upper camber adjustment?
Old 17 January 2011, 10:23 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p.lambo
just because there cheap dont mean there nasty every company has to start some were .As they build a rep the price will go up or down depending on the out come .
Thats my opinion too, Im always prepared to give "benefit of the doubt". They know what Im planning to do, ie feedback on here, so im sure they wont disappoint

Originally Posted by jdc1
Looking forward to hearing your opinion on these
Me too mate

Originally Posted by jdc1
Sorry but are these newage only and do they have rear upper camber adjustment?
Currently all I know is they they fit Newage (Bug onwards), and yes I believe they have full camber adjustment.

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
Do you have a contact name from the supplier, I can not remember the fellas name, but if my memory was jogged I might be able to let you know if it is the same company. They went under the name of Hottuning.
HTH.
Phil is the only name I have currently.
Old 18 January 2011, 12:55 AM
jtonkins
Scooby Regular

glad someone has put a thread up about these as i saw some on ebay too and thought they were cheap, as im after some for my wrx bug so am also looking forward to the outcome!!
Old 18 January 2011, 09:56 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

These are being ordered tommorow as im just awaiting confirmation of direct paypal address details. Rob
Old 18 January 2011, 04:30 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Phil is the only name I have currently.
Doesn't ring any bells, where are they based, UK?
The company advertising on the other forum were Dutch I think.

Are you looking to lower the ride height or run it at standard height?
Would be interested to know if you can run these at standard height.
Are they E marked? (think this might have been issue with some of the mot failures I mentioned earlier).
Old 19 January 2011, 02:33 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXrowdy
Doesn't ring any bells, where are they based, UK?
The company advertising on the other forum were Dutch I think.

Are you looking to lower the ride height or run it at standard height?
Would be interested to know if you can run these at standard height.
Are they E marked? (think this might have been issue with some of the mot failures I mentioned earlier).
Location of supplier - Belgium

I believe they can run at the same standard ride height and that the camber can be adjust to.

Unsure about marking and MOT friendliness tbh, but this is never an issue with me, plus I can always keep my old struts of it becomes a problem.

I really want to know how these handle everything that is thrown at them, which includes every day tootling to the shop, to full on track days. I want to see how easy they can be set up and what differences can be made to the handling by doing so.

--------------------------------------

I paid for them today (this evening) and sent Phil a message shortly afterwads, he confirmed payment was received and that they will be posted out the following morning

Rob
Old 19 January 2011, 06:55 AM
Scoooby_doo & Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Default Coilovers

Location of supplier - Belgium

I believe they can run at the same standard ride height and that the camber can be adjust to.

Unsure about marking and MOT friendliness tbh, but this is never an issue with me, plus I can always keep my old struts of it becomes a problem.

I really want to know how these handle everything that is thrown at them, which includes every day tootling to the shop, to full on track days. I want to see how easy they can be set up and what differences can be made to the handling by doing so.

--------------------------------------

I paid for them today (this evening) and sent Phil a message shortly afterwads, he confirmed payment was received and that they will be posted out the following morning

Rob

I have been reading this debate about the coils, i am looking at tiens or apexis at the moment and feel that i will hold on till i have seen your comments about these raceland coils, i have £1200 to spend on a set so money isnt the object here, although if the racelands are good quality and are decent safe etc.. i may just have a set myself, i will have a bit of dosh left over for a remap or some of the other mods looking todo on my bug

I had a mate who had some D2 racing coilovers on his newage and he said they where mint handling vastly inproved and the ride hieght could be adjusted as far as 120mm, he said when driving around he also got some road noise in the car i believe no matter which set of coilovers you buy if there pillar top mounts you will get the same noise so i dont think thats going to be a issue, i think as someone else stated the safety aspect, although my mate doesnt track drive and mainly road goer but he does boot his car and its very rare i seem less than speed limits lol, and he states the D2s are very reliable passed the mot and so on and for £599 with camber adjust pillar top mounts and adjustable to 120mm i think they are a bargain

i spoke to a guy on ebay re the D2s and if we had a group buy he could knock a good load off the price if he sold 10 units etc so thats worth having a think if the racelands turn out to be poo! lol

can you let me know your findings and so on re the racelands have you fitted them yet and what your advice would be to leave or buy and if its buy obviously i will need the code and i will state you have recommended them to me with the code, so it will put you in stead should something else come up from them you would get a discount straight away then lol

there is a few mods i want to do to mine and £350 is a snip, i mean £1200 for a set of coilovers its rediculus really, i think coils should be priced around the £600 mark for the apexi tiens etc and lower for your noddy ones lol

sorry for boring everyone but thought i would just post in case anyone on here is looking for coils as the D2s seem to be a good all rounder
Old 19 January 2011, 03:03 PM
Parrg341
Scooby Regular

Default My opinion

I guys I have a set on my road STi i picked them up cheap when their online shop had some offers. When i recieved them I "serviced" eg greased the threads and rebuilt checking hardware when preloading the springs. They are brilliant for the quick adjustment of ride height just removing hub carrier bolts and rotating lower carrier.

If your looking to spend only a few quid, their well worth the buy. But if your looking for the "brand name" then maybe not for you. One major down fall (but i havent needed to yet) I dont know how good their after sales service/warranty is like.

Im in need of the promo code as im looking for another set for my Track bug!
Old 19 January 2011, 05:25 PM
Scoooby_doo & Shaggy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Parrg341
I guys I have a set on my road STi i picked them up cheap when their online shop had some offers. When i recieved them I "serviced" eg greased the threads and rebuilt checking hardware when preloading the springs. They are brilliant for the quick adjustment of ride height just removing hub carrier bolts and rotating lower carrier.

If your looking to spend only a few quid, their well worth the buy. But if your looking for the "brand name" then maybe not for you. One major down fall (but i havent needed to yet) I dont know how good their after sales service/warranty is like.

are these the raceland coilovers or other make, if so what make are they and what price are they as i am looking for a set for my bug too, maybe able to get a good discount if we buy them both and order 2 sets etc..
Old 19 January 2011, 08:18 PM
Parrg341
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoooby_doo & Shaggy
are these the raceland coilovers or other make, if so what make are they and what price are they as i am looking for a set for my bug too, maybe able to get a good discount if we buy them both and order 2 sets etc..

Raceland I hope theyll do them cheaper if theres a few for order. Group buy thread!
Old 19 January 2011, 10:33 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoooby_doo & Shaggy
can you let me know your findings and so on re the racelands have you fitted them yet and what your advice would be to leave or buy and if its buy obviously i will need the code and i will state you have recommended them to me with the code, so it will put you in stead should something else come up from them you would get a discount straight away then lol
All your comments are valid mate, and I was in the same boat, so I figured for £350 its worth the punt, plus should they be 'not for me' then they will sell on ebay for £200 in a snip

As for the above, they are ordered and sent out today, I expect delivery would be around a week !?!?

Regards,
Rob
Old 19 January 2011, 10:35 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Parrg341
Cheers for all the info, and PM mate.

You have a Promo info PM in return

Cheers,
Rob
Old 19 January 2011, 10:40 PM
scooby1664
Scooby Regular

could i possibly have promo code, my car is not rallied or raced + who sees the brand!
I love my value beans lol

will post pics fitted!

Quick Reply: Raceland Coilovers feedback and possible Group buy.....