Notices

2004 WRX Standard Shock Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2011, 02:32 PM
macphegf
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 WRX Standard Shock Replacement

Hi Guys, I'm new to the site and to owning a subaru! I think I might have the rear shock problem as yesterday I noticed noises from the rear passenger side, sounded like something in the boot at first then there was a slight sort of rubbing noise. Was out again today and I heard the odd clunk but it didn't seem to do it consistently while doing anything specific. I didn't really notice it when going over bumps but it did seem to happen a few times whil turning right, not going fast at all. I've had a quick look and can't see anything obvious wrong, it needs the front drop links done so I was going to get my mechanic to do this and have a quick look at the rear to see if he can see anything obvious.

Anyway, assumming it is the shocker, I want the car to remain standard and I don't want to spend alot of money right now. Euro car parts seem to list a KYB shock at £187, I assume this is a standard replacement and will be ok on one side with the original shock on the other, am I correct?

Are there any other alternatives that would work with the standard shocks on the other side? I found this site with cheap KYB shocks:

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/

but I assume these would need to be replaced all round and the suspension would no longer be standard.

Any clarification/advice would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Greg