Suspension on a budget?

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2011, 06:59 AM
Dramalama
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension on a budget?

Hi

My 1994 Wrx is starting to feel a bit soggy, and not at all like I would want it to feel firmer, alot.

I was wandering as coilovers are quite expensive, that will lowering springs make the suspension stiffer at all?

Any tips?

Got around 500 euros to spend on suspension

thanks

James
Old 13 December 2011, 08:04 AM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

You could get a set of STi red suspension cheap as chips. From there I'd think about whiteline anti roll bars.
Old 13 December 2011, 09:42 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ as above, best bet try and source a used set of lowish miles late V5/6 red dampers and springs, then rear arb and you'll be sorted

I would advise against lowering springs, as they will just make matters alot worse
Old 13 December 2011, 10:02 AM
Dramalama
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CREWJ
You could get a set of STi red suspension cheap as chips. From there I'd think about whiteline anti roll bars.

Alright, Thanks!

I read somewhere that suspension should be rebuilt when bought used, true or false?
Old 13 December 2011, 10:03 AM
Dramalama
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
^ as above, best bet try and source a used set of lowish miles late V5/6 red dampers and springs, then rear arb and you'll be sorted

I would advise against lowering springs, as they will just make matters alot worse

Thanks, thought so..

Always have felt that lowering springs are a bid dodgy!!
Old 13 December 2011, 10:07 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dramalama
Alright, Thanks!

I read somewhere that suspension should be rebuilt when bought used, true or false?
Early 'black' and later 'red' classic dampers cannot (very easily) be rebuilt. They can be fitted with inserts (Koni)

Depends on the mileage of your current units, but if you can find a set with between 40 - 70K on them...?
Old 13 December 2011, 10:07 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dramalama
Thanks, thought so..

Always have felt that lowering springs are a bid dodgy!!
Generally they introduce 'anti-handling'

Trending Topics

Old 13 December 2011, 10:30 AM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

For your budget try a set up like Powerstation's Stage 1 suspension upgrade:

http://www.powerstation.org.uk/subaru_chassis.asp

I've just had Powerstation fit a Stage 1 on my newage WRX with new droplinks and a 'fast road' alignment setup. The handling is much sharper and more controlled and the ride is more supple with less float.

The only thing that spoils it for me is the Prodrive (Eibach) lowered springs that came with the car (it was originally registered to Prodrive in Banbury who fitted engine and suspension packs).

As Bonesetter says above, the lowered springs can make matters worse. They're probably great on a track but on bumpy UK roads they just make the ride over firm and can cause the car to hop and be deflected off line on anything other than smooth tarmac.

It's worth having a word with Powerstation anyway (even though you're over in Finland) and telling them what you're looking to achieve on your budget. I'm sure they'll be able to give you some advice.

Sam
Old 13 December 2011, 10:45 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SouthWalesSam
For your budget try a set up like Powerstation's Stage 1 suspension upgrade:

http://www.powerstation.org.uk/subaru_chassis.asp

I've just had Powerstation fit a Stage 1 on my newage WRX with new droplinks and a 'fast road' alignment setup. The handling is much sharper and more controlled and the ride is more supple with less float.

The only thing that spoils it for me is the Prodrive (Eibach) lowered springs that came with the car (it was originally registered to Prodrive in Banbury who fitted engine and suspension packs).

As Bonesetter says above, the lowered springs can make matters worse. They're probably great on a track but on bumpy UK roads they just make the ride over firm and can cause the car to hop and be deflected off line on anything other than smooth tarmac.

It's worth having a word with Powerstation anyway (even though you're over in Finland) and telling them what you're looking to achieve on your budget. I'm sure they'll be able to give you some advice.

Sam
Hi Sam. Sorry to see your not happy with your set-up. Do you know what type of 'Prodrive' springs you have fitted - they made a couple of variants?

What you are describing sounds like an over lowered car. Your dampers may not have ran out of travel, you may then be hitting the bump stops, with a bit of bump steer too.

Did Powerstation mention bump steer or over lowering. They are usually switched onto those issues with Impreza'a
Old 13 December 2011, 11:13 AM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Bonesetter,
I'm not sure of the exact Prodrive spring spec but as it's an MY01 it may have been one of their earlier attempts. If I remember correctly I think the car's lowered by 25mm which to me has always sounded like too much.

The Powerstation Stage 1 handling is way better than before. It steers well through the twisties, you can place the car better at speed and overtaking is a much more precise affair. It's the ride I don't like.

I'm able to do back to back comparisons with my MY99 classic wagon which rides so much better on standard (old) suspension so I'm probably going back to standard springs next month.
Old 13 December 2011, 11:18 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Wait your not from the UK so for that budget without the added tax you get here you might just be able to pick up a set of BC coilovers. Have a shop around mate.
Old 13 December 2011, 11:23 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SouthWalesSam
Bonesetter,
I'm not sure of the exact Prodrive spring spec but as it's an MY01 it may have been one of their earlier attempts. If I remember correctly I think the car's lowered by 25mm which to me has always sounded like too much.

The Powerstation Stage 1 handling is way better than before. It steers well through the twisties, you can place the car better at speed and overtaking is a much more precise affair. It's the ride I don't like.

I'm able to do back to back comparisons with my MY99 classic wagon which rides so much better on standard (old) suspension so I'm probably going back to standard springs next month.
Sam, we've (I've) hijacked the OP's thread, apologies. 25mm lowering will not cause any problems
Old 13 December 2011, 12:06 PM
SouthWalesSam
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Big apologies to the OP, Dramalama.

Bonesetter, you might have a point. I've just been out and measured wheelarch to wheel rim heights. Figures approx:

Classic (std suspension): Front 135mm, Rear 135mm
Newage (Prodrive springs): Front 105mm, Rear 125mm

I'm not well up on suspension but it seems a bit inconsistent on the Newage. I'm going to get this checked. (It would make a good drag racer, though. )
Old 13 December 2011, 01:07 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

I usually think on the car driving quite nicely at ~355mm front and ~345mm at the back - wheel hub centre to wheel arch. This is about max before the need for roll centre correction etc