Notices

strut top bearing??

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2011, 02:10 AM
jtonkins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strut top bearing??

anybody know where i can get these from?? as i cant seem to find them anywhere, its for a 02 bug as mine are making a clunking noise had it in the garage today and can feel vibration on the strut tops as you turn the steering have not had them apart yet as it may well be something has not been put back right as i had the prodrive springs installed a month ago and the chap said its definatley not the cv joints, so need to know where i can get them from just incase it is that, found one place which sell them which is als but they want £80 quid for each one they did say it comes with a strut top aswell but seems pricey to me and probally only really need the bearing, any help would be great

thanks
Old 10 December 2011, 06:18 AM
Iain250
Scooby Regular

hmmm - youve had the springs changed and they didint notice the bearing was gone - hmmm thats a bit naughty

here you go - if the struts recently been in bits its a pretty easy job to replace ( even if a bit scary)

http://importcarparts.co.uk/parts.as...49&var=38&dc=y
Old 10 December 2011, 08:38 PM
jtonkins
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain250
hmmm - youve had the springs changed and they didint notice the bearing was gone - hmmm thats a bit naughty

here you go - if the struts recently been in bits its a pretty easy job to replace ( even if a bit scary)

http://importcarparts.co.uk/parts.as...49&var=38&dc=y
cheers for that but it seems those are only for the rears and im after fronts hopefully when i get them apart i wont need them but have my doubts
Old 11 December 2011, 12:31 AM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Hmm, sounds like the conical washer was installed upside down when your springs were installed. Basically the strut is no longer rotating on the bearing as you turn. The upper spring perch is pretty much solidly connected to your strut top and its just metal on metal rubbing (conical washer and spring perch). its also possible, if you haven't caught this in time, that you have torn your strut top, literally. Since the bearing is not rotating, the upper spring perch just twists the rubber of the tophat when you turn the wheel. I've seen a few people destroy brand new Group N tophats this way.

Does your car suffer from "memory steer" as well? That's when you make a turn and the wheel does not return to center, it pretty much stays the direction you had turned and you have to manually return it to center.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1757339
Old 11 December 2011, 02:09 AM
jtonkins
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arnie_1
Hmm, sounds like the conical washer was installed upside down when your springs were installed. Basically the strut is no longer rotating on the bearing as you turn. The upper spring perch is pretty much solidly connected to your strut top and its just metal on metal rubbing (conical washer and spring perch). its also possible, if you haven't caught this in time, that you have torn your strut top, literally. Since the bearing is not rotating, the upper spring perch just twists the rubber of the tophat when you turn the wheel. I've seen a few people destroy brand new Group N tophats this way.

Does your car suffer from "memory steer" as well? That's when you make a turn and the wheel does not return to center, it pretty much stays the direction you had turned and you have to manually return it to center.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1757339

pretty sure it does not memory steer but will defo check that tomorrow as for conical washer this is what i think it maybe too but wont know until thursday when i get it in the the garage its been like it now for a month and is my daily drive just hope my top hats are ok if not it will be new top hat and bearings at £80 each could really be doing with out this at this time of year
Old 11 December 2011, 10:31 AM
Iain250
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jtonkins
pretty sure it does not memory steer but will defo check that tomorrow as for conical washer this is what i think it maybe too but wont know until thursday when i get it in the the garage its been like it now for a month and is my daily drive just hope my top hats are ok if not it will be new top hat and bearings at £80 each could really be doing with out this at this time of year
just mail these boys they are rarely stuck - ive done it heaps of times

if your tight for cash and mot is a bit away id leave it till your ready - they are big tough bearings - id be suprised if they are completely gone(probably notchy tho)
iain.
Old 11 December 2011, 12:48 PM
jtonkins
Scooby Regular

They will defo be fixed in the next coming week as the sound is driving me nuts not to mention a bit embarrasing if your around the towns lol, fingers crossed its a fairly cheap fix, if not that will teach me for not taking it to a proper garage in the first place

Trending Topics

Old 11 December 2011, 01:45 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain250
just mail these boys they are rarely stuck - ive done it heaps of times

if your tight for cash and mot is a bit away id leave it till your ready - they are big tough bearings - id be suprised if they are completely gone(probably notchy tho)
iain.
if its indeed an inverted conical washer situation I would that get that fixed ASAP. The strength of the bearing is not the issue, its the fact that the rotation of the strut is happening by twisting the rubber of the hat! It will eventually tear and you will risk shooting a strut through your bonnet. And that ain't no fun!