Notices

grinding/binding noise when turning

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2011, 09:41 PM
paulbakersti
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding/binding noise when turning

hi all i have a sti 2003 i have only had it 3 months brought from a garage,the problem i have is when iam driving and steer to the right i hear what i think is grinding or binding sounds like something is rubbing ie metal to metal.i have taken it back to garage as i have warranty still,they put 4 new tyres on as they were wrong size new brake pads but still got noise.further looking into it they now say its something with suspension.the previous owner had spent £1850 on stage 3 handling kit from powerstation back in 2009 which includes white line 22m front and rear arm,white line anti lift castor kit,ast coilover kit,white line alloy rear arm link.i have spoken to powerstation they say there kit should not make that sound when turning it has also had suspension service back it 2010 same company it was fitted with 40k on clock now has 60k. The garage/dealer are now saying they wiil have to put standard suspension on to get rid off noise,which i dont want. has any one had this before iam in need of help advice as iam not a mechanic
Old 08 December 2011, 10:18 PM
beastturbo
Scooby Regular

I have been suffering from the same problem mate
Mine is all fixed now tho

The problem was with the pads sticking in the calipers guides which caused this noise when turning but not in a straight line usually around 20 mph most noticeable

To sort it I removed the pads and cleaned behind the seats that the pads sit in.
Old 09 December 2011, 12:45 AM
jtonkins
Scooby Regular

or could well be your drive shaft, cv joint is knackerd, think mine has had its day as its making the same noise as you describe but need to check it properly as its possible its something else.
Old 10 December 2011, 12:01 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Its possible that your dust shields from your brakes are bent inwards towards the rotor slightly. Might want to take a look and bend them away a bit, just in case.

Its also possible that the springs on your coilovers are binding a bit. Its very typical for any coilover to make a popping "twang" sound at low speed maneuvering situations. Basically the springs aren't sliding freely on their perches and wind up. When there is enough tension, they let go and go "boing". People use torrington bearings on the upper and lower perches to allow the springs to move freely. Or grease the perches.

This is a nice, fancy solution AST USA is using on some of their coilovers:

http://www.hypercoils.com/Products/H...ing-Perch.aspx

Also possible that the upper mount's spherical bearing is on its way out.(if they are spherical camber plates).
Old 10 December 2011, 05:03 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Arnie_1
Its possible that your dust shields from your brakes are bent inwards towards the rotor slightly. Might want to take a look and bend them away a bit, just in case.

Its also possible that the springs on your coilovers are binding a bit. Its very typical for any coilover to make a popping "twang" sound at low speed maneuvering situations. Basically the springs aren't sliding freely on their perches and wind up. When there is enough tension, they let go and go "boing". People use torrington bearings on the upper and lower perches to allow the springs to move freely. Or grease the perches.

This is a nice, fancy solution AST USA is using on some of their coilovers:

http://www.hypercoils.com/Products/H...ing-Perch.aspx

Also possible that the upper mount's spherical bearing is on its way out.(if they are spherical camber plates).
Id agree with the above, it is a known issue with the vast majority of coilover kits on the market. The BC Racing coilover kits use a bearing mounted upper front spring platform to eliminate the issue