Notices

Softer Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2011, 12:04 AM
syledis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softer Suspension

I m starting to get a bad knocking sound from the back of my Blobeye STi so i think its time to change it. Can anyone recommend a good setup thats confortable for day to day driving. Im not worried about ultimate handling, just being able to stand up straight when i get out!!
Old 07 December 2011, 11:07 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

In terms of the best mix of handeling and comfort then you should go OEM mate. When mine started knocking I changed to BC coilovers but that was because of the better handeling. The ride is really firm which I think is not something your after.
Old 07 December 2011, 01:34 PM
New_scooby_04

BC coilovers with comfort springs (5/4) kg/mm are very good.

The mistake most people make with coilovers is getting a too high spring rate thinking harder is better. 5/4 on a new age with dampers set to 16 front and 7 rear (or 12 front and 6 rear if you're really sensitive) is better than OEM ride quality and better body control too.
Old 07 December 2011, 03:16 PM
syledis
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice,
Old 10 December 2011, 04:49 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

As New scooby says, you pick the kit to meet your needs. Teh default BC Racing kit uses 6/5kg.mm springs and daping rates to suit. This kit is similar to the ride of the standard STi suspension on the softer damping settings.

The 5/4kg.mm kit not only uses softer springs but also softer damping rates to give an overall more supple ride.

If you want an ultra supple kit then I can look into a 4/3kg.mm kit for you. We do one for the GC8s.
Old 11 December 2011, 02:08 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

Are the BC's actually revalved for the softer spring rates? Any chance we can see a dyno plot comparing the two? Would be pretty educational for us. Thanks!
Old 11 December 2011, 10:13 PM
bluedave
Scooby Regular

i've just fitted BC 5/4 and they are plenty soft enough on full soft they are softer than the OE I took off, of course on full hard its too harsh for me unless the roads ur way are super smooth.

Trending Topics

Old 12 December 2011, 10:53 AM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Arnie_1
Are the BC's actually revalved for the softer spring rates? Any chance we can see a dyno plot comparing the two? Would be pretty educational for us. Thanks!
They are indeed. I thought I had the dyno charts stored but cant find them so have requested that the factory send me them again.

Note that not every kit with a different spring rate runs a different length and valved damper. The 8/6kg.mm kit uses the same dampers as the 6/5kg.mm kit for example. However if a customer is wanting to go down to 5/4kg.mm rate then its because he wants a high quality of ride so we also made the damping rates more supple along with longer dampers (so you can still achieve reasonably ride height with the softer springs that give more static droop and longer damper travel to accomodate the softer spring and damping rates and the associated additional suspension movement

Originally Posted by bluedave
i've just fitted BC 5/4 and they are plenty soft enough on full soft they are softer than the OE I took off, of course on full hard its too harsh for me unless the roads ur way are super smooth.
Do you like them?
Old 12 December 2011, 08:26 PM
Arnie_1
Scooby Regular

thanks for the info! Would be great to see the dyno plots when you get them in. About how much extra travel/droop do the long travel dampers have? Is this long travel version available in the inverted version of the struts? thanks again.
Old 13 December 2011, 04:04 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Ive got the charts now, Ill upload them with the additional requested info tommorrow, Ive got to shoot now
Old 13 December 2011, 04:08 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by syledis
I m starting to get a bad knocking sound from the back of my Blobeye STi so i think its time to change it. Can anyone recommend a good setup thats confortable for day to day driving. Im not worried about ultimate handling, just being able to stand up straight when i get out!!
A knocking rear damper/top hat can quite easily be rectified. Subaru sell a spacer now - if it is that of course. Seems the most likely cause
Old 14 December 2011, 04:21 AM
turninconcepts
Scooby Newbie

the biggest problem with the blobeye inverted struts is that the grease used by Subaru turns more to hard wax over time allowing wear of the guides.

this wear leads to movement, and the problem worsens from there.

IF you catch it early enough you can clean out the old grease and put in something decent.

A quick and easy test of this is to smear some grease on the damper body (the silvery bit under the dust boot), and let it work it's way in.

If that helps it will only help for a short while, but your damper may be salvageable. The next step to take would be to remove the damper, pull out the insert, clean out the old Subaru grease and repack the guides and seals with something good.

For us we use Neo HP800, but a number of folks have had luck with Lucas Red and Tacky CV grease.
Old 14 December 2011, 04:30 AM
turninconcepts
Scooby Newbie

OH! And another thing - the stock suspension is JUST BARELY off the bump stops in the front just sitting there so as along as you're at it, and if you take apart the fronts then trim the stock bumpers or get new shorter ones.

Since the dampers are inverted the bumper is inside the housing on the damper shaft itself.