Notices

BC Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2011, 10:09 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default BC Coilovers

I would like feedback on why the BC Coilover is generally heralded on scoobynet as the recommended coilover for the Impreza, when their general appraisal in the rest of global Scoobymania is pretty poor - wrx.au clubWRX.net sidc NSIOC etc.

Criticism runs a wide berth from insufficient droop, not enough extended length (similar issue), inconsistent and compromised valving, higher maintenance than a fixed perch damper, more noise, to name a few

What can explain the SN BC love?
Old 08 November 2011, 11:13 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

This should be interesting.

For reference, having witnessed BC coilovers perform faultlessesly in competition this year I've decided to buy some. I've gone for the Inverted RM series.

Havent tried them yet but the quality if them looks superb.

Here's some pics of mine.

Old 08 November 2011, 11:21 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Properly prepared and installed I don't see why they get a bad name ? easy to install and feel real quality.

Driving on them is like night and day to standard shocks and springs. For the money they are awesome !
Old 09 November 2011, 08:02 AM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They certainly look good!
Old 09 November 2011, 09:35 AM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bonesetter
I would like feedback on why the BC Coilover is generally heralded on scoobynet as the recommended coilover for the Impreza, when their general appraisal in the rest of global Scoobymania is pretty poor - wrx.au clubWRX.net sidc NSIOC etc.

Criticism runs a wide berth from insufficient droop, not enough extended length (similar issue), inconsistent and compromised valving, higher maintenance than a fixed perch damper, more noise, to name a few

What can explain the SN BC love?
We can dial in greater droop should it be required but for road and most track use its not. The BC Racing Impreza of Duncan Graham was showing some higher corner speeds than the outright Time Attack pro championship winning Evo. Dunc was losing out on the straights due to less power and an H pattern box but he was certainly performing on the corners.

Heres a rally kit with longer dampers, extended damper travel and low rate assister springs to allow an additional 50mm of droop:

Every single damper is dyno tested after manufacture with its rates recorded and each kit is assembled with matched dampers so Im not wure where the inconsistant damping comment comes from.

There is no additional noise compared to road kits unless you go for a rose jointed camber adjustable rear top mount.

The advantages that the ride height adjustment, damping rate adjustment camber adjustment, the way the kits can be tailored to meet your exact needs more than make up for the minimal maintance the kits need.

Think on that some the biggest tuners in the UK are happy to recommend and supply the BC Racing range of coilovers. Roger Clark Motorsport, Fensport, Sumo Power, Larkspeed, Scooby World, Amber Performance, Abbey Motorsport, Graham Goode to name but a few. These guys wouldnt supply a product they didnt feel was value for money and fit for purpose as its not worth it in the long term.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3452sm.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	7020  

Last edited by bren@apex; 09 November 2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09 November 2011, 02:47 PM
andy-m
Scooby Regular

also got BC racing RM series on my classic wagon.
I'd recomend them to anyone.
Old 09 November 2011, 02:50 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53
Properly prepared and installed I don't see why they get a bad name ? easy to install and feel real quality.

Driving on them is like night and day to standard shocks and springs. For the money they are awesome !
Yep, what he said

Trending Topics

Old 11 November 2011, 02:32 PM
Fleetwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bren@apex
We can dial in greater droop should it be required but for road and most track use its not. The BC Racing Impreza of Duncan Graham was showing some higher corner speeds than the outright Time Attack pro championship winning Evo. Dunc was losing out on the straights due to less power and an H pattern box but he was certainly performing on the corners.

Heres a rally kit with longer dampers, extended damper travel and low rate assister springs to allow an additional 50mm of droop:

I like the idea of these long travel rally dampers, especially with the terrible roads around my neck of the woods.

I cannot see a price on the website or these described, can you show me where these are talked about and rough pricing?

I'm not in the market just yet, I already have coilovers I am happy with. But I'm looking at getting a classic and having some fun with it so am looking at suspension options.
Old 11 November 2011, 02:48 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Its £20 per strut extra to add the assister spring and platform.

We dotn offer them because we dont find them necessary. If you have rough roads then you need a softer sprung kit. the more softly sprung the kit is the greater static sag you get and so the greater droop youll have.

A Classic on our 4/3kg.mm kit will run approx 29mm greater front and 38mm greater rear droop than a 6/5kg.mm kit giving total droop of approx 88mm front and 95mm rear.

The reason we dont offer the kits with assister springs by default is because we dont see a need for them for the vast majority of cars.
Old 11 November 2011, 02:50 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

90% of the time coilovers are supplied and fitted when decent adjustable shocks and lowering springs are more than capable and a cheaper options.

As far as BC, well depends who you ask as to what folks think, bit like all products.
Old 11 November 2011, 02:57 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

What adjustable shocks with decent springs with camber adjustment are available? Bearing in mind that from when we used to supply a lot of dampers and springs we nearly always supplied 4x new damper boots as well because th eold ones were on their way out. So its the cost of 4x adjustable dampers, decent spring set, camber adjustment facility on the front plus 4x damper boots.

We gave up on Koni adjustable dampers and spring combo and KYB AGX adjustable damper and spring combo (spring sbeing Tein, Eibach, H&R) when it because more than apparent that coilovers were coming in at the same money and out performed the adjustable damper/spring combo in terms of ride quality plus you get the added advantage of height adjustment and modular kit form when it comes to replacement parts down the line.
Old 11 November 2011, 03:01 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

My question would be why do you need to change it?

Race cars you need the adjustment for different tracks and setups, but 99% of cars have them fitted and the settings never change untill they go and get replaced (no im not slating a brand off here, just no suspension last 20 years without needing to be replaced)
Old 11 November 2011, 03:17 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

I've got to say I have them on my Scoobs and am totally impressed by them.
Old 11 November 2011, 03:21 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Why do you change what? Camber? Ride height? Damping rate?

To maximise the performance from any suspension set up its crucial to have the car aligned properly. You need camber adjustment as part of this alignment process.

Why do you need to set ride height where you want it? Because some people want more or less of a drop than fixed springs allow. We have customers wanting to be able to run above standard ride height, at standard ride height, 30mm drop, 50mm drop, run their car on the floor etc. Fixed springs dont give you this option.

Nor do fixed springs give the option to choose the spring rate to meet your needs and in the same vein adjustable dampers again dont come with any option to tailor the product to meet your needs.

I agree that once set most people generally dont come back and play with the height or alignment but that doesnt mean the adjustment isnt of value when setting the car up in the first instance.

Why would you want to adjust damping? To suit conditions and the environment. The priority on the road for most people os compliancy over ultimate performance or the ability for the suspension not to buck the car into a hedge on bumpy back roads.

But then when on track you want to control the body more so wind the damping up to be able to do so and then back it back off for the ride home.

Last edited by bren@apex; 11 November 2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11 November 2011, 03:32 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

i understand that side of it, and in some cases it may be so, but i think most customers dont need it, and its all about pub talk.
Old 17 November 2011, 01:38 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Bren has argued his & BC's case well and the relatively low price point they are good value for money IMO. It would be unfair to compare e.g. the BC BR's to KW Variant 3's; Tein Monoflex or AST Type 2's etc which are double the price.
Old 17 November 2011, 04:36 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't see why not. Duncan Graham prefered his BC's over his Previous EXE-TC's at nearly 4 x times the price.
Old 17 November 2011, 04:56 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

How much will a set of BCs cost for a V3 STI & is there any info on basic set up geometry etc?
Old 17 November 2011, 05:03 PM
-Nic-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
I don't see why not. Duncan Graham prefered his BC's over his Previous EXE-TC's at nearly 4 x times the price.

His Exe-tc's were the fast road version with relatively soft springs so hardly suited for time attack hence he prefers his current track orientated BC's.
Old 17 November 2011, 05:04 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

£699 for the BR Series but we offer package deals with Whiteline parts if you want to do other parts at the same time:

http://www.whiteline.com.au/do_segue...=4%2F93-9%2F00

If you let me know what you are doing with the car then I can recommend geometry settings. Just road, road and track, if track then on what tyres?

Originally Posted by -Nic-
His Exe-tc's were the fast road version with relatively soft springs so hardly suited for time attack hence he prefers his current track orientated BC's.
Thats not really fair now is it. You cant state that he only prefers his BC Racing units because the Exe-TCs were too soft. That implies that he would automatically have prefered the Exe-tcs were they sprung with stiffer spring rates with damping to suit. You dont know what his preference would have been had.

Last edited by bren@apex; 17 November 2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 17 November 2011, 05:20 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Road & track on Hankook vents 18s at mo but may change for Yokohama in the summer.
Old 17 November 2011, 09:57 PM
scatty
Scooby Regular

i would recommend um....night and day compared to the originals.........and with a decent geom set up, they are very impressive...

Last edited by scatty; 17 November 2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 17 November 2011, 10:23 PM
carl heath
Scooby Regular

Had mine two years,no knocks squeeks or anything,well chuffed with them.along with whiteline mods its transformed my handling.
Old 17 November 2011, 10:53 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Explain the BC love?
Easy.

After over 2 years they have outlasted and outperformed the rubbish factory subaru/kyb rubbish dampers.

dipster
Old 19 November 2011, 12:43 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by carl heath
Had mine two years,no knocks squeeks or anything,well chuffed with them.along with whiteline mods its transformed my handling.
How many miles have you done on them?

Ben, what do you mean by droop?
The idea of long suspension travel is great in the real roads we drive on.
With softer springs isn't the probability of bottoming out greater on rough roads?

Last edited by fpan; 19 November 2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 19 November 2011, 01:32 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

I think I know why some people like them etc. I have them on my blobeye and think they are fantastic better then any suspension I have had on my other subaru as well.

But you have to remeber they have to be set up right etc or they just wont perform.

I think people complain about them because they have probably just put them on without getting them set up or were expecting something else from them as the application was completely different for what they are being used for and what they were intended for.

For example if you are used to the standard suspension and you drive through pot holes like nothing then it won't be the same when you use stiffer suspension.

Some of the forums you mentioned have a lot of american users. Just rember their roads are very different to ours. We have loads of twists and turns which make driving fun. This is where the suspension comes it and you can really appreciate it.

Hope I have made sense lol.
Old 19 November 2011, 03:17 PM
Fleetwood
Scooby Regular

Its £20 per strut extra to add the assister spring and platform.

We dotn offer them because we dont find them necessary. If you have rough roads then you need a softer sprung kit. the more softly sprung the kit is the greater static sag you get and so the greater droop youll have.

A Classic on our 4/3kg.mm kit will run approx 29mm greater front and 38mm greater rear droop than a 6/5kg.mm kit giving total droop of approx 88mm front and 95mm rear.

The reason we dont offer the kits with assister springs by default is because we dont see a need for them for the vast majority of cars.

Thanks for the reply Bren, was just because you talked about:
"Here's a rally kit with longer dampers, extended damper travel and low rate assister springs to allow an additional 50mm of droop:"

I thought you had some long travel kits rather than just assister springs on a regular coilover.

Cheers

Al
Old 20 November 2011, 02:55 PM
-Nic-
Scooby Regular

Last edited by -Nic-; 20 November 2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 20 November 2011, 03:40 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

What spring rates do people commonly go for?
Old 20 November 2011, 06:06 PM
-Nic-
Scooby Regular

£699 for the BR Series but we offer package deals with Whiteline parts if you want to do other parts at the same time:

http://www.whiteline.com.au/do_segue...=4%2F93-9%2F00

If you let me know what you are doing with the car then I can recommend geometry settings. Just road, road and track, if track then on what tyres?

Thats not really fair now is it. You cant state that he only prefers his BC Racing units because the Exe-TCs were too soft. That implies that he would automatically have prefered the Exe-tcs were they sprung with stiffer spring
rates with damping to suit. You dont know what his preference would have
been had.
I didn't mean it like that, just that it is wrong to make comparisons between two different set ups. Comparisons should be like for like.
I appreciate how I wrote it could be misinterpreted.
I wasn't having a dig at BC's. IMO they are a very good bit of kit and keenly priced

Out of interest, do they have TUV approval?

Last edited by -Nic-; 20 November 2011 at 06:09 PM.

Quick Reply: BC Coilovers