Notices

Compliant coil overs for UK roads?

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2011, 07:29 PM
Exigecup
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Compliant coil overs for UK roads?

As the OE standard suspension on my hawkeye WRX is approaching the 95k mike mark I thought it could do with replacing. I've got an Exige for track work and bought the impreza purely for fast road, day to day driving (at which it is brilliant) so my question is which coil over kit offer the most supple/compliant ride for or ****e british roads?

After reading lots of reviews and threads I'm leaning towards HSD's but would love to hear your opinions.
Old 06 November 2011, 07:32 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Exigecup
As the OE standard suspension on my hawkeye WRX is approaching the 95k mike mark I thought it could do with replacing. I've got an Exige for track work and bought the impreza purely for fast road, day to day driving (at which it is brilliant) so my question is which coil over kit offer the most supple/compliant ride for or ****e british roads?

After reading lots of reviews and threads I'm leaning towards HSD's but would love to hear your opinions.
As we must suppose you've been happy with your damper/spring set-up, why do you want to go coilover?
Old 06 November 2011, 07:58 PM
Exigecup
Scooby Regular

Good point. When I looked into the costs of replacing my OE shocks and springs compared to £700 odd for the HSE's (or most other coil over kits) I was surprised to see very little saving in staying with the OE setup. Also I'd really like to lower the ride height a little and I know that lowering springs would work but like I say if I'm going to spend money on replacing the lot it seems logical to go coil over and still get the lower ride height.
Old 06 November 2011, 08:01 PM
Exigecup
Scooby Regular

Plus I love a bit of well engineered kit and coil overs are gorgeous.

However, if all the coil overs are going to be much stiffer then it will have to be OE shocks.
Old 06 November 2011, 09:13 PM
Arkwright
Scooby Regular

Location: Happy that I'm back in a Scooby - but maybe I should have told the wife...!

BC coilovers are excellent have a look at their website they offer different spring rates for each model hawk, classic, etc Go for the softer offering if you aren`t using the car on track. Excellent ride quality great value too. you should be able to pick up a set for £650 del`d if you shop around.
Old 06 November 2011, 09:28 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Exigecup
Good point. When I looked into the costs of replacing my OE shocks and springs compared to £700 odd for the HSE's (or most other coil over kits) I was surprised to see very little saving in staying with the OE setup. Also I'd really like to lower the ride height a little and I know that lowering springs would work but like I say if I'm going to spend money on replacing the lot it seems logical to go coil over and still get the lower ride height.
Best way is to source a used low mileage bnreaker set...

Nothing else short of a new OE set will be as good
Old 06 November 2011, 09:38 PM
Arkwright
Scooby Regular

Location: Happy that I'm back in a Scooby - but maybe I should have told the wife...!

Originally Posted by bonesetter
Best way is to source a used low mileage bnreaker set...

Nothing else short of a new OE set will be as good
That`s a bold claim do you work or own a subaru garage by any chance.

Trending Topics

Old 06 November 2011, 10:22 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arkwright
That`s a bold claim do you work or own a subaru garage by any chance.
OK, slightly tongue in cheek OP likes his OE damper/spring set-up, so buy some more...used, 'cause that's the cheapest/best option.
Old 07 November 2011, 09:57 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say best for our UK roads is KW(Ohlins too,but pricey),yes not cheapest option,but they're best...

I've on mine wagon HSD HR,i've bought them due i was tried them on friend EVO and must say they're amazing,he have before Tein which has been too hard for our roads..

OE setup is nice,but do't have one function if you want go for wider wheels(9,5JX18 ET38),like i want and second thing,there is missing for me most important thing Ride height

Jura
Old 07 November 2011, 01:02 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Have a look at these. Got them on the blobeye.

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...oducts_id=1549
Old 07 November 2011, 01:26 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
I would say best for our UK roads is KW(Ohlins too,but pricey),yes not cheapest option,but they're best...

I've on mine wagon HSD HR,i've bought them due i was tried them on friend EVO and must say they're amazing,he have before Tein which has been too hard for our roads..

OE setup is nice,but do't have one function if you want go for wider wheels(9,5JX18 ET38),like i want and second thing,there is missing for me most important thing Ride height

Jura
You need to go to a KW V3 to match/better a 'red' STi damper. This means ~£1400 which is the same price as new OE struts and springs of your choice.

Lowered ride height can be achieved by using a slight lowering spring. The Prodrive one is very good as height reduction is minimal (24mm), and the Impreza does not like being lowered any more

With regards to coil overs or normal struts, for hooning around I always prefer normal dampers and springs. I fact, the P1 dampers and springs are probably one of the best solutions for the Impreza. I have a brand new set on my 330bhp Type R. It is very good on the bumps and lumps of the British roads with proper control. I find it firm enough but not uncomfortable.

Last edited by bonesetter; 08 November 2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07 November 2011, 01:39 PM
1999wagon
Scooby Regular

i Just fitted BC's to my my99 wagon and 1st impressions are I am very impressed with the ride, its better than the shocks and springs that were on there before.
Old 07 November 2011, 01:42 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

You need to go to a KW V3 to match/better a 'red' STi damper. This means ~£1400 which is the same price as new OE struts and springs of your choice.

Lowered ride height can be achieved by using a slight lowering spring. The Prodrive one is very good as height reduction is minimal (24mm), and the Impreza does like being lowered any more

With regards to coil overs or normal struts, for hooning around I always prefer normal dampers and springs. I fact, the P1 dampers and springs are probably one of the best solutions for the Impreza. I have a brand new set on my 330bhp Type R. It is very good on the bumps and lumps of the British roads with proper control. I find it firm enough but not uncomfortable.
You are saying Red STi setup is better than KW V3,you are living in nice dream,you are tried before KW/HSD/Ohlins/BC/Tein or other makers on B-road,track etc?

Lowered springs i've before Pi which car lowered 40mm and still car suffered,later on i've tried friend wagon which running "cheap" BC and i've been surprised how car feels on road.

New P1 dampers are little bit expensive,if you are lucky find them new and about the strut and damper combo,that's your view and i'm not sharing view.

For track and fast B-road coilovers(with ARB's,droplinks etc.) are best combo without the doubt for me.I've tried few months ago Tokico damper setup with Swift springs,which has been surprisingly OK,but this has been on Classic,not on New age.On New age i've run similar setup where this setup has been worse than mine old Red STi damper setup with Pi springs,that's the mine view.As i said i've went for coilovers due i want from mine car little bit more than comfy ride,for this you are need MB or something else

On Classic not sure what is best,i've tried few with different setups and still think coilover combo is still best i most cases,on new age coilvers are best without the doubts.

Jura
Old 07 November 2011, 07:06 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
You are saying Red STi setup is better than KW V3,you are living in nice dream,you are tried before KW/HSD/Ohlins/BC/Tein or other makers on B-road,track etc?

Lowered springs i've before Pi which car lowered 40mm and still car suffered,later on i've tried friend wagon which running "cheap" BC and i've been surprised how car feels on road.

New P1 dampers are little bit expensive,if you are lucky find them new and about the strut and damper combo,that's your view and i'm not sharing view.

For track and fast B-road coilovers(with ARB's,droplinks etc.) are best combo without the doubt for me.I've tried few months ago Tokico damper setup with Swift springs,which has been surprisingly OK,but this has been on Classic,not on New age.On New age i've run similar setup where this setup has been worse than mine old Red STi damper setup with Pi springs,that's the mine view.As i said i've went for coilovers due i want from mine car little bit more than comfy ride,for this you are need MB or something else

On Classic not sure what is best,i've tried few with different setups and still think coilover combo is still best i most cases,on new age coilvers are best without the doubts.

Jura
To be clear, I am saying to better a fresh red STi and Prodrive spring combo (P1) you have to go to at least V3. I posted this to clarify your earlier post which did not specify which KW variant.

The Prodrive (Eibach) lowering springs lower the Impreza by 20mm (not 24 as I said earlier) and is as low as I would ever go, any more and you've lost the handling, or rather damper travel (for road use). Same goes for BC's, in my opinion really not good, as well as not having the right extended length for the Impreza (running out of droop).

When Prodrive developed the P1 - red STi damper and Eibach lowering spring - they experimented with 22 different damper spring combinations, everything available to the Impreza, measuring the effect of each change. Despite what might be said of the UK turbo's here the low speed ride and bump control of the P1 is superior, while body control is far better at high speed on an undulating road. Basically Prodrive made the Ultimate UK Impreza which beat the RB5, Type R, 22B, and UK turbo (Car magazine Jan 2000). This with the fixed perch set-up.
Old 07 November 2011, 07:51 PM
Exigecup
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Great replies guys, thanks for your input.
From experience with many sports cars I'd imagine OE shocks and firmer springs are all thats is required for UKs roads without loosing too much of the comfort factor (as some of you have said). However I just can't stomach the silly costs Subaru want for OE shocks compared to what a set of reasonable coilovers cost. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and use the scooby as a track hack and go super firm (!) then again maybe not.

So I have a dilemma

Think I'll try and get a passenger ride in a coilover fitted new age ASAP and go from there.

Anyone with coilovers care to help out a fellow scoobynet'er? I'm near Bromley (se London) but will drive to anyone in the South East if need be.
Old 07 November 2011, 08:07 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

To be clear, I am saying to better a fresh red STi and Prodrive spring combo (P1) you have to go to at least V3. I posted this to clarify your earlier post which did not specify which KW variant.

The Prodrive (Eibach) lowering springs lower the Impreza by 20mm (not 24 as I said earlier) and is as low as I would ever go, any more and you've lost the handling, or rather damper travel (for road use). Same goes for BC's, in my opinion really not good, as well as not having the right extended length for the Impreza (running out of droop).

When Prodrive developed the P1 - red STi damper and Eibach lowering spring - they experimented with 22 different damper spring combinations, everything available to the Impreza, measuring the effect of each change. Despite what might be said of the UK turbo's here the low speed ride and bump control of the P1 is superior, while body control is far better at high speed on an undulating road. Basically Prodrive made the Ultimate UK Impreza which beat the RB5, Type R, 22B, and UK turbo (Car magazine Jan 2000). This with the fixed perch set-up.

But OP have new age not classic and that's the main difference.At least V1 will be better combo than Red STi combo in this i'm sure,really you are need to try different setups.

When Prodrive and Eibach develop and experimenting with these struts and dampers,has been different times and now after 11 years...

I don't know,but have fitted 11 years shocks on car

Jura
Old 08 November 2011, 08:36 AM
New_scooby_04

Go for BCs with the comfort springs.

Very good for UK roads.
Old 08 November 2011, 08:37 AM
P1P!
Scooby Regular

I now run BCs on my car. Previously I had eibach springs on standard struts. To my surprise the ride quality/compliance on the BCs was better than with the eibachs!
Old 08 November 2011, 08:55 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

BC coilovers everyday. Had some on my 03 sti for 3 years now with 6/5 springs. To be honest the std subaru kyb stuff is pure rubbish Best mod I did.
Old 08 November 2011, 10:11 AM
oobyJu
Scooby Regular

chose Eibach coilovers as am told are about softest and still quite firm don't like potholes or speedbumps much, dropped 20mm look and handle better great cornering so good compromise but ideally want harder for track softer for road can recon with choice of valves later tho.
Old 08 November 2011, 03:28 PM
wilbo
Scooby Regular

Out of interest, how much are OE dampers? My n/s/r is knocking so looking at suspension options at the moment. I am glad to hear positive comments on BC coilovers as I am thinking of going this route
Old 08 November 2011, 03:43 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

BCs can be specced to meet just about all needs. If you want a kit that will run a standard type ride then no problem. 4/3kg.mm spring rates, longer dampers so you can still achieve a reasonable ride height with the greater sag (which brings with it greater droop on wheel extension) softer damping and increased damper travel to accomodate the softer rate. No problem, no extra charge
Old 08 November 2011, 04:24 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Hmm, maybe not so good after all: https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...u-pay-for.html
Old 08 November 2011, 04:32 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

We have sold tens of thousands of BC Racing coilover kits, you are never going to please everyone. However I believe youll find that the massive majority of customers running them are more than happy.
Old 08 November 2011, 04:58 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Old 09 November 2011, 09:40 AM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

Think on that some the biggest tuners in the UK are happy to recommend and supply the BC Racing range of coilovers. Roger Clark Motorsport, Fensport, Sumo Power, Larkspeed, Scooby World, Amber Performance, Abbey Motorsport, Graham Goode to name but a few. These guys wouldnt supply a product they didnt feel was value for money and fit for purpose as its not worth it in the long term.
Old 09 November 2011, 10:47 AM
Arkwright
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bren@apex
Think on that some the biggest tuners in the UK are happy to recommend and supply the BC Racing range of coilovers. Roger Clark Motorsport, Fensport, Sumo Power, Larkspeed, Scooby World, Amber Performance, Abbey Motorsport, Graham Goode to name but a few. These guys wouldnt supply a product they didnt feel was value for money and fit for purpose as its not worth it in the long term.
People are always quick to winge and slow to praise. I`ve just fitted BC`s and done a trackday at cadwell. I`m well happy excellent value and the ride height adj separate to spring preload is excellent too.