KYB Ultra SRs vs OEM

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2011, 12:52 PM
Cockney Wideboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KYB Ultra SRs vs OEM

Hi Guys,

Sorry to keep banging on about suspension, I fully understand that this gets mentioned again and again and I have tried searching and can’t find the exact answers that I’m after so was wondering if anyone can help please?

My MY03 (53plate) Impreza STi Type UK is in need of some rear shocks, Subaru ones are really expensive, KYB Ultra SRs are a lot cheaper and is what everyone seems to recommend, I’ve found the KYB Ultra SR’s on Camskill for a very good price, approximately 1/3 of the Subaru ones.
But my question is, are the Ultra SRs really a direct, like for like replacement for the OEM units? I’m just struggling to see how Subaru can mark something up 200%. I have also read a few posts that suggest that the internal valving of the KYB struts are different to the OEM units so the car doesn’t have the same handling characteristics (I.e. worse) on the KYB as the OEM units, is this true?

Also can anyone tell me the exact size nuts and bolts I would need to replace all the bolts and nuts that hold the strut to the car? When I swap out the struts I want to replace all the nuts and bolts with new ones, after all the current bolts have been exposed to the elements for the past 8 years. I haven’t got access to my car at the moment so I can’t jack it up and have a look.

Cheers for any help

Chris