Notices

Adjustments after new struts

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2011, 08:45 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustments after new struts

Having just fitted Bug STI struts on my WRX, I only have one question. Will the alignment have been moved during fitting (I cant see how it would have been), or is it just camber adjustment required (as the bolts would have been removed when swapping over)?
Old 06 August 2011, 08:54 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the alignment will most likely have changed, even if only by a small amount because of how the bolts will sit, how the springs have fitted into the spring seat and the manufacturing tolerances of the struts and all the bolt holes - you'll be amazed at how little something needs to move to change the settings. If you're getting the camber done anyway the alignment shop should do the whole lot
Old 06 August 2011, 08:57 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Cheers Jon, how much should I be looking at for the whole lot?

Oh and as an aside, do you still have the PSI3 fitted? If so, how good do you find it, how useful as an alternative to gauges?
Old 06 August 2011, 09:01 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Depending on where you go anywhere between £50 and £120. You should be looking for somewhere that has a 4-wheel laser set-up as there is some adjustment that can be done on the rear, although not camber unless you fit some additional camber bolts.

The PSI3 is not a replacement for gauges but a supplement to - it needs defi sensors for oil temp and pressure which are quite pricey, but it does do airflow, ignition advance, inlet temps, water temps and most importantly fault codes and ECU reset
Old 06 August 2011, 09:09 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Depending on where you go anywhere between £50 and £120. You should be looking for somewhere that has a 4-wheel laser set-up as there is some adjustment that can be done on the rear, although not camber unless you fit some additional camber bolts.

The PSI3 is not a replacement for gauges but a supplement to - it needs defi sensors for oil temp and pressure which are quite pricey, but it does do airflow, ignition advance, inlet temps, water temps and most importantly fault codes and ECU reset
Thanks for both answers. i found a shop that does Defi sensors for £40 each so I may go down that road when it arrives. I suppose the screen is too small to use to monitor boost etc. solely.
Old 06 August 2011, 09:17 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

You have 4 reading on the screen so definitely too small, plus they are numeric so you have to read rather than just glance at the needle position. However, you can set you max and min values for your readings and when the meter measures outside of those limits it will flash and tell you what's gone wrong