Notices

What BC coilover springs for 07 WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 25 July 2011, 08:54 AM
yorvik
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What BC coilover springs for 07 WRX?

The car is a 2007 Hawkeye WRX....which spring rates would be best 4/3 or 5/4? I don`t really want the car any harsher than standard and have to remember the state of the roads/humps these days! My days of bone jarring rides are long gone I`m afraid.
Any idvice would be appreciated, especially if you have personal experience.
Thanks
Old 25 July 2011, 09:15 AM
New_scooby_04

According to the BC group buy thread mate, Apex reckon on a new age 4/3 if you want WRX level of compliance.

I'm sure someone who has them fittted will be along shortly though.

TBH I'd be very surpised if you can retain a std WRX's ride comfort with coilovers. VERY surprised!
Old 25 July 2011, 09:21 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Subscribed! On std shocks with Tein S Tech springs which drives great, but already had 1 new rear shock and if they go again, this is the route I will be going. Interested to find out too.
Old 25 July 2011, 11:27 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For my daily driver, I went for the 5/4 springs (think Dynamix recommended them for daily driving too in another thread I posted in).

I'd say they're comparable in ride to my old WRX shocks with Prodrive springs, which were hard and the damping not wonderful; the difference with the BC's is that the damping is so much better and the car doesn't bounce into potholes like it did on the old OEM shocks.

I think the difference is that where I can choose to fit other springs on mine, that if you go for 4/3 you can't as it requires a slight modification to the shock itself for longer travel? Believe the group buy mentions that.

All in all, I'd say with Prodrive springs - 5/4, otherwise maybe 4/3 if you travel down a lot of country roads - around my parents in Avon, the roads are really bad and the car crashes around a lot - although I didn't try adjusting the damping rate which might have also helped - I normally only run them about 8-10 from hardest setting.

Re road humps, I found that at lower speed, the BC's soak them up better than the standard shocks - just not at high speed!

One other point just in case you don't know - don't think that just because they're 30 point adjustable that this means you can go for harder springs and then make the damping much softer to compensate - all this will do is to make the car bounce down the road in a really annoying fashion! I found the softest setting really annoying and too boingy (if that's a word!); midway is comfortable, but bit harder gave the car a better feel - all in my opinion - many others will doubtless disagree!

Hope that helps

Last edited by MrNoisy; 25 July 2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 25 July 2011, 05:49 PM
Scooby Arthur
Scooby Regular

Agree with above, I have 5/4 on my Hawk and would say it feels very similar to a car with uprated springs.

The ride is a little firmer but by no means uncomfortable, this is outweighed by the massive improvement in grip and feedback.
Old 25 July 2011, 07:07 PM
yorvik
Scooby Regular

Many thanks fellas....greatly appreciated. Looks like I should be OK at 5/4.

Any other comments welcome!
Old 25 July 2011, 08:38 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

You still have the std wheels with reasonable profile tyres. This will help the ride too. Found going to my larger wheels with lower profile tyres made the ride crash much more. Can't beat the std wheels for good ride.